MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone installed Yamaha's OEM chrome engine guards? I ordered them and will install them myself. It looks like a simple exercise of removing 4 bolts. Is there anything more to it than that? As someone in one of the previous posts put it, I'm mechanically declined.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I installed mine a month or so ago, and you should have no issues on the installation with general Metric tools...the only problem I had was that Yamaha's supplier left the four holes to the inside of the tubing exposed (you'll see them when they arrive) and rain water washing inside mine started some rusty drool coming out from the unprotected tubing interior...I went to my local hardware store and got four shiny metal 1/2 inch ID snap-caps to plug the holes...the caps are flat with teeth extending from the cap that grip the sides of the guard holes and seal them from water intrusion.

A set of guard chaps from a place like this: http://www.airlite.ca/ would help with the weather protection, but I've not sent sent them a pattern as of yet, but it's on my to-do list.

Gary in Fairbanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gary. I know what caps your talking about. We have an Ace Hardware in town that has a nice little display of the chrome bolts, caps and plugs. Yesterday when I was dusting off the beast I realized that most of the hardware on the Raider isn't chrome its more like a brushed steel look. I was thinking it might look good to swap out some of the more visible ones with chrome ones. If anyone is interested I could find out the name of the company that makes these things and post it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sounds like your on the right track, just four bolts to install and good to go...I have heard that larger bars from Cobra and Yamaha will fit as well.

As promised I called Bob at Airlite (see my above post) and will make a pattern for guard chaps in the next few days and mail them off for him to make a trial set...he suggested using clear plastic sheeting taped over the guards, then marking critical edges as I did with another manufacturer once before...the advantage of Airlite's chaps to me are the inclusion of a mesh band between the chaps to stop rocks and general road FOD from getting into the lower engine, starter assembly, and possibly damaging the oil filter.

We'll see what happens and I'll post when they're done and installed in the next few weeks.

Gary in Fairbanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
I installed the Guards as well. Very easy to do.
I think plugging the holes is a good idea. One on my list to do now.

I think they look like pixies personally and nearly left them off the bike and took them
back to the dealer for a refund.

I get a lot of compliments on them.

I own Airlites and have them on my 1600 Nomad. I can't see how they'll do much on the Raider Gary but
for sure you'll need something up there in the northwest.

I hope you get a lot of riding time in Gary.

Best,

Nomadken

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yea I agree that the engine guards are small...maybe only feet and oil filter protection if chaps are installed...but...better than nothing...had big bars on my Stratoliner and chaps...almost like an Ultra Glide with their lowers...bigger bars can be put on the Raider I've read elsewhere, but may look like gay dog doo on a mean cruiser.

Gary in Fairbanks

·
Registered
373 Posts
A friend of mine has the Yammi bars on his Raider (that he had to have after he saw mine). It doesn't look like they offer much protection.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If I were to do it over I'd install the Cobra bars, and only for more foot protection with chaps...otherwise, the Yamaha Raider bars are pretty small and that pointy end might do bad on soft asphalt or dirt...may act like a spinnin' fly you just smashed...hope not.

Gary in Fairbanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts