MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting the Yamaha windsheild for the bike on some long hauls.

Has anyone tried one out and what did you think about it?

I'm 5'10" and I'm not entirely sure if I want the tall or short version.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
Q

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've never been much on having a windshield on my bike. I always prefered the look without. Having said that, and getting tired of eating bugs I decided to break down and I put the National Cycle wind deflector on my Raider. I was really surprised how much wind it took off of me and I haven't taken a bug in the face in the 200 miles I've had it on. As a bonus it doesn't really detract from the look of the bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the short windshield from yamaha. It takes alot off my chest and face. But my head still takes a beaten. Better than nothing and it looks pretty good on it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
hey nj or anybody else that has a national cycle windshield are you buying it from there website or somebody elses let me know and also the part no's you used love the way it looks on your bike nj.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i tried to call national cycles to order the deflector njraider has,
and they told me they did not make the switch blade deflectore
for the raider

·
Registered
220 Posts
Go to www.meancycles.com. They have all kind of stuff for the Raider. Just look up the Raider and use the list by category on the left menu to find what you want. They have a host of different windshields for the Raider. National Cycle may not have specifically built them for the Raider but I guess MeanCycles tested them out because the deflector I got fits perfectly.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
stevo238019 said:
hey nj or anybody else that has a national cycle windshield are you buying it from there website or somebody elses let me know and also the part no's you used love the way it looks on your bike nj.
"i tried to call national cycles to order the deflector njraider has,
and they told me they did not make the switch blade deflectore
for the raider"

Hey guys -

email me [email protected] - I've got the National Cycle part numbers for the Raider Switchblade hardware as well as the different sizes of Switchblade windshield.

They absolutely make it for the bike. They're available direct from Nat Cyc, or MeanCycles. If you don't see the correc t part numbers on Mean Cycles, call them and they can put them up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the 2up switchblade and lowers from national cycle and love them... very little wind and the shield is real tall so for tall guys its just right.

Ohh by the way this is my first time here.
Hey guys.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey Yardog, Welcome to the forum. A lot of information here as well as the delphi forum.

·
Registered
42 Posts
WindVest Motorcycle Products has a unit for the Yamaha Raider. Here are the different sizes and colors you can
choose from:

10-1043C 14" Clear - $371
10-1043CT 14" Smoke - $371
10-1243C 16" Clear - $395
10-1243CT 16" Smoke - $395
10-1443C 16"x16" Clear - $447
10-1443CT 16"x16" Smoke - $447
Plus shipping

·
Registered
219 Posts
Q,

I ordered mine over a week ago. The short shield was backordered, so the tall is what I paid for.

Its very hard to tell from the pics that I have seen, if it is too tall. My other theory is to cut it down if needed. There are some good instructions on the www for taking care of that problem.

If lucky, it should be here early next week. I will post some pics and details when it arrives

fisher

Quantum said:
I am looking at getting the Yamaha windsheild for the bike on some long hauls.

Has anyone tried one out and what did you think about it?

I'm 5'10" and I'm not entirely sure if I want the tall or short version.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
Q

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey guys,
Some of you are into MOD's. If you want a taller windshield for a good price, consider the Warrior windshields at Clearview Windshields. All they make are shields, no brackets. You will need to use the brackets from the Boulevard windshield that Star is selling for our Raiders or make your own mounting methods.
I'm Moding one now and will let you know how it goes. So far, looks like it will work fine.
Best,
Ken

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quantum I don't know how you can ride on the highway for any distance and not have a shield, the Wind noise alone plus fighting the wind....Anyway I think the shield does take from the bikes custom/chopper look but I put the quick release Memphis Shades Poptop.
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/d..._name=Memphis_Shades_Poptop_for_Yamaha_Raider

It requires the quick release hardware 2320-0032 but its half the price of the Yamaha shield and great quality and looks.
If you dare to go a smidge larger the bigshot is what I had on my VTX and it really would cover your needs for since your 5.10, I am 5.7 and and the Poptop just covers my needs on the Raider.

·
Registered
373 Posts
An interesting side note to the National Cycle Windshields. I checked the part numbers that NJ posted, the same windshields fit the V* 1100 and I think the VTX 1300. So if you have a V* 1100 as I do, then all you need is the switchblade mounts for the specific bike.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Q,

Tall shield made its journey, that Brown shipping company did their best to cripple it. No significant damage, even though several holes punched in the box.

Anyway, Install is super easy, took me longer to open and read instructions that it did to install.

Now the bad news, I'm 5'10" and the tall shield is too tall. I suspected that based on some previous pics. I'm not looking at the edge, I'm looking thru the shield, well below the edge. This sucker is 4 or 5 inches taller than mirror height.

Yes, I tend to slouch and if I sit up perfectly straight and tilt my head, I can see above the top.

Interesting side note, the keys for the quick remove lock are the same key blanks as the ignition key. And, my ignition key will unlock it, but the shield keys dont work in my ignition or seat lock.

·
Registered
168 Posts
raider113 said:
Q,
Interesting side note, the keys for the quick remove lock are the same key blanks as the ignition key. And, my ignition key will unlock it, but the shield keys dont work in my ignition or seat lock.
I have a quick release for the windshield and backrest and have to use a different key. Ignition key doesn't work in either.

GC

1 - 20 of 23 Posts