MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Not sure where I read it before but maybe some one here can help me with this problem.
I just installed lowering kit with the progressive ride spring from PCS. It took way to long and thank God my son was there to help me, or I'd still be wrestling with it now. Anyway, after install, took it for a test ride and noticed lots of whining/squealing when I down shift and shifting seems a bit more clunking than before. Any Ideas on how to solve this? I sure do appreciate any feedback.
Oh and the bike looks awesome lowered. Wish I had the capabilities to post some pics, but that technology isn't available in my house.
Again thanks for any info, look forward to hearing from you all.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If this happened after you lowered the bike.

Adjust your belt tension - it will need to be in spec - or you will more than likely feel sloppy shifting / whining if the belt is too loose.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Exactly as Ninja says...belt tension is critical, hope the lowering hasn't changed the belt tension geometry...check the tension with the bike on the side stand empty and loaded...see if the tension changes markedly between those weights.

GL.

Gary in Fairbanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent. I had a suspicion that, that was the problem, but wanted to confirm with some more knowledgable people. Thanks very much for the feedback. As soon as it stops raining I'll be making the adjustments. Again, Thanks.

·
Registered
326 Posts
thats correct when you lower your bike the belt gets tighter so its probly just got everything in a bind ;D

·
Registered
67 Posts
For what it's worth, I needed another tool, had some spare change, so bought the Yamaha spec belt tension tool = $40 ouch! I can use it on other equipment (say justify).

It's Yamaha P/N YM-03170 sold by K&L Supply ( http://www.klsupply.com/ ) and made by HMC, Int'l ( http://www.hmc-international.com/ )

I think any pull or push gauge would work, like a fish weighing scale, but there's not much room inside the belt guard for attaching one...I used a fish scale hooked to a nylon ty-tap around the belt before I bought the gauge.

My belt was loose from the Factory and had 1" freeplay (1/2" is about max) with the required 10# tension (or pressure) under the inspection window on the lower belt guard...the loose belt was also running to the outside of the driven pulley, so I tightened the left side adjuster some to take up the slack and move the belt a little to the right after removing the mufflers and loosening the right rear axle bolt...the rear swingarm marks were also off, but lined up ok after the adjustment.

Gary in Fairbanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts