MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering for the most part we all like riding our scooters, where is that one place you would like to go. Something like a bucket list item but with no money to hold you back or physical concerns to limit you. That one dream place/country/town/area. Not limits to current bike either. That one dream place. And why.

·
Registered
25 Posts
New Zealand. I was THIS close to sending a deposit for a motorcycle tour with Edelweiss but health and an unexpected financial situation stopped me. I worry now that I am too old to handle the multiple days of long rides. But the scenery there looks spectacular.

·
Super Moderator
94 Posts
The obvious choice for me is The Tail of the Dragon but there is a chance I will eventually get there and my current ’89 GSXR 1100 will probably love it.

For a real wish list I have to say riding the Isle of Man TT track on an RGV 500 Gamma would be mine. Incredible history there and beautiful scenery. An iconic bike. I would likely die. No. It is certain I would die.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I forgot about the Isle of Mann. It would be heaven to ride the TT course, likely a bit slower than the racers do. Like my dream of New Zealand, it would likely take a lottery win to achieve.

Regarding the Tail of the Dragon, I think it is far less exciting than I expected it to be. Firstly, it is almost always a crowded roadway. The tons of motorcycles even on what I had hoped would be a quiet weekday weren't a problem, but the cars and trucks using the road were scary. Drivers in sports cars who are not as skilled as they think they are, and who are crossing the double lines on curve after curve are a fatality just waiting to happen. And if you find yourself behind a truck, the only sane thing to do is to pull over and wait 10 minutes or so. I was there many, many years ago on a small displacement cruiser and my low clearance had me scraping pegs time after time. My more recent visit, 5 years ago, was on my then brand new Goldwing, and again I was scraping the pegs. With curve after curve, many requiring a rider to slow down to very low speeds, it actually got tiresome and I looked forward to finishing the 11 miles (but I did ride it back and forth several times, knowing it was not likely that I would return anytime soon). During that trip I came upon several serious crashes, all of them involving full dress tourers who must have entered a curve too fast and went off the road. I'm glad I went, but in truth the experience of riding the nearby Cherohala Skyway, and the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway was much more fun.

·
Super Moderator
94 Posts
I forgot about the Isle of Mann. It would be heaven to ride the TT course, likely a bit slower than the racers do. Like my dream of New Zealand, it would likely take a lottery win to achieve.

Regarding the Tail of the Dragon, I think it is far less exciting than I expected it to be. Firstly, it is almost always a crowded roadway. The tons of motorcycles even on what I had hoped would be a quiet weekday weren't a problem, but the cars and trucks using the road were scary. Drivers in sports cars who are not as skilled as they think they are, and who are crossing the double lines on curve after curve are a fatality just waiting to happen. And if you find yourself behind a truck, the only sane thing to do is to pull over and wait 10 minutes or so. I was there many, many years ago on a small displacement cruiser and my low clearance had me scraping pegs time after time. My more recent visit, 5 years ago, was on my then brand new Goldwing, and again I was scraping the pegs. With curve after curve, many requiring a rider to slow down to very low speeds, it actually got tiresome and I looked forward to finishing the 11 miles (but I did ride it back and forth several times, knowing it was not likely that I would return anytime soon). During that trip I came upon several serious crashes, all of them involving full dress tourers who must have entered a curve too fast and went off the road. I'm glad I went, but in truth the experience of riding the nearby Cherohala Skyway, and the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway was much more fun.
I have friends there through another site and they say the same thing. Definitely ride it a few times but the best riding is on other loops close by.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Australia-----if they would KILL everything that is just waiting to bite, sting, chomp and kill, on land Sea or air, before I got there. :bigthumb:

Ireland and Scotland and Germany and Spain. South Africa (See above on killing all things that would attack and eat a scrumptious looking morsel like myself.:rofl2:

I would settle with taking Lori, Maurice and Rod and a few other Forum members for a ride to Texas to see Hogcowboy---Love Texas.:p

Sam:laugh:

·
Registered
104 Posts
There's a lot of rides that I would have loved to have done - Isle of Man, of course.

New Zealand for the great roads and beautiful scenery.

The Furka Pass in Switzerland.

....and then there is Mount Glorious in SE Queensland. I rode that almost every weekend for 20 years.

I would love to ride it again before I'm pushing up Tulips.

The video is ok - but doesn't really show what a great and challenging ride it is.

·
American Legion Rider
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My dream ride would be the Swiss Alps. But I would want enough time to take a tour bus or rent a car first so I could take in all that great scenery before hitting the mountains on a bike which would also probably be rented. Bike likely being a BMW which would be fine for me. Do they even have tricycles over there? Bike would just have to do.

:laugh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.