MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered Kuryakayn ISO Flame Grips (#6262universal fit) because they told me thats what I needed for my Raider Bars.
After recieving them I put them on and "they did not fit correctly" They where extremely tight, and would not fit over the thridle sleeve without the rubber insert popping out of metal grip, and the worst part was 1" over hang where the bar end weights use to be on both sides of the Handlebars. My question to anyone outthere is? Did anyone change the stock grips on their Raider to a better looking aftermarket grip that fits correctly?

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Hey Mark -

The overhang issue is something you'll get with any aftermarket grip since the bar end weights are removed, and it's not a problem. That being said, I installed my favorite grips - Jardine billet - on our bike with no problem at all. Jardine has stopped making them, but they're still available from a variety of places.

Pics are near the bottom here:

http://raiderperformance.com/ourbike.htm

If you want to use ISO grips, you don't need to mess with the universals - Part # 6235 is a direct fitment for the Raider, as well as other Star bikes. UPDATE - you said ISO-Flame - Part # is 6261. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello Mark
I checked the Kuryakyn web site and the 08 Raider calls for Part #6261 on the fitment list for Yamaha. Is that what you used? The 6261 set comes with a new Throttle Sleeve and uses both the push and pull cable on your bike. I am guessing the set you used is incorrect for the Raider.

·
Registered
538 Posts
NJRaider said:
Hey Mark -

The overhang issue is something you'll get with any aftermarket grip since the bar end weights are removed, and it's not a problem. That being said, I installed my favorite grips - Jardine billet - on our bike with no problem at all. Jardine has stopped making them, but they're still available from a variety of places.

Pics are near the bottom here:

http://raiderperformance.com/ourbike.htm

If you want to use ISO grips, you don't need to mess with the universals - Part # 6235 is a direct fitment for the Raider, as well as other Star bikes. UPDATE - you said ISO-Flame - Part # is 6261. Sorry about that.
I just put these grips on also. My question is on the left grip there are two set screws. I am wondering if you also glued that side on and if so what glue did you use?
Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have these on my raider and they fit just fine I don't remember the part no. but did get them from yamaha so I'm pretty sure there yamaha specific and I glued the left one on with just the yamaha grip glue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I put these on mine as well. Part # 6261. Everything fit just fine. Maybe they'll let you exchange them if you're not able to get them on there right.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I put the ISo's on mine, and had no problem with the left side. Justed glued it on and no problems with it. Make sure you got the right size for the bike.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Glued mine on tight with Gorilla glue Love the feel of the grips. Dont want to buy the universal use the ones ment for the raider or roadline. Sorry dont remember part number either

·
Registered
12 Posts
Help getting off the stock grips

Installed the ISO grips on my VTX no problem. Cannot figure out how to get the Throttle side stock grip off my Raider. Any helpful suggestions

·
Registered
826 Posts
yeah you have to take the switch housing apart and put slack in both the throttle cables so that you can get the cables off the grip and then just reverse the process. Pretty easy, shoot me a PM if you still have troubles.

·
Registered
59 Posts
FYI, when you get the right part # 6261, as stated previously, everything should be fine. The throttle side will have a little movement, that is normal. Something I ran into though is that once you have it all put back together, your cables will need to be readjusted a few times to take the vibration out of the throttle. It sounds wierd but just a hair too loose and it's wrist numbing in just a couple of min. It's a pretty fine line, or at least it was on mine. Good luck.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Man, we all put ISO flames on our Raiders.

I used the 6261 which came with a sleeve that you had to cut to length and a bottle of glue, but I didn't have any set screws as mentioned elsewhere.

At any rate, they fit, they work, and they look great.

You do have to adjust the cables though.:iagree:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts