MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just called the dealer to setup an appointment for 600 miles maintenance and they told me it cost $300. Can any one tell me how much does this cost and what is involved exactly? Is there anything that I can do myself?

My car doesn't cost that much. What is it 5 quart of oil and check all the nuts and bolt. Another thing are they really checking everything.
Sounds to me are a rip off.

Can any one video tape the maintenance and post it pls. I do appreciate that.
Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would suggest having the dealer do the 600 mile checkup if you purchased the extended warranty - I only paid $190 for mine. The change the oil and trans fluid and go over the nuts and bolts....

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called Star and they told me all the parts will cost about $65 at most. I can not see some one charge me $300 for something that I can do within a 1/2 the price.

If they spent 1 hr at the rate of $80 an hr I understand up to $200 but $300 is too much and I will not pay for that.

I can go to sears and buy the Jack stand for about $139 and I would have that for later mechanical work and the parts I need.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just hade mine done it was $155 they just change the oil and check the belt and bolts. I would check at other dealers near you and see what they charge then contact yamaha and ask if that is an average price for the first service that might get them a little scolding! ;D

·
Registered
826 Posts
Yeah that is ridiculous you can buy the stuff for about $40 as stated b4 and it will take you a little over an hour (or it did me anyway) I don't buy into the whole dealer has to preform first service thing. I bought my supplies from the dealer got a receipt and stapled it in my book to record the service, over and done with! Just my $.02 but I would be careful with that lift from sears i have had 2 of them and the hydraulic started leaking on both.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I talked to my dealer earlier, and he quoted me around $120. Let them do it. I would pay someone who knows what to do instead of me f..kin it up.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Impaler said:
I talked to my dealer earlier, and he quoted me around $120. Let them do it. I would pay someone who knows what to do instead of me f..kin it up.
Well then there is always that theory which is very valid as well. If you do not feel comfortable than by all means have the stealer do it!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Eian,

I don't even feel comfortable polishing the chrome. I am mechanically declined. LOL

·
Registered
826 Posts
LOL, mechanically declined that is good stuff!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mine was $60.00 total! I have a great dealer.
Mattoon, Illinois Yamaha..... Terry Glaze is the owner.

Sorry but I had to put a plug in for a great place to buy a Raider!

Nomadken

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just talked to the mechanic at my local dealership today. Asked him what the first maintenence was as far as his end was concerned. He told me that it is a basic fluid change. The only other things that he checks for if the bike sounds good is the belt tension and some basic checks to make sure that nothing has loosened up. I was pleasantly supprised to have a candid conversation with a mechanic that makes his living performing these maintenence checks. He assured me that it is nothing I can't do myself. Hopes this helps anybody that is apprehensive about performing their own first maintenence themselves.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Mine was $170.00.. Yeah most could do it themselves and I will do the rest of the oil changes from here on out but I think it's a good idea to bite the bullet and let a Stealer do the first one just in case something happens with the bike. If it does I guarantee you the 1st thing they will say is we did not do the 1st service and if we did this would never have happened. therefore the warranty will not cover it. Just something to think about

·
Registered
826 Posts
As long as you keep the reciept for the oil/gear oil/filter in your book and you can prove you purchased the stuff to do the maintenance you will be fine. I was told by my dealer to just keep a record of all the service work with a reciept and you will be fine. Also if you get the stuff from your dealer they should be able to vouge for you if something happens down the road.
just my $.02

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just get the Raider service manual. According to that, in additional changing the Oil and cranck case oil, we have to change the transfer gear oil also and is a bitch to get to that.
We need to remove the pips and muffler to get to it to fill the container.

Any has any input, I am listening.
Thanks.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Blue there was a post about the transfer case oil change without removig the pipes on here and I copied and pasted it into another thread once b4. I am at work and don't have it here but if you do a search I bet you can find it. i will look to and report back if i find it first.

Here it is:
http://www.mybikeforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,154.0.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts