MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's a question for anyone that is still here posting on this site occasionally. Seems like something happened from 2012-2014 that caused a lot of the members here to stop posting. I just can't see that many having a motorcycle accident and unable to post anymore. So is there anyone out there that knows the history of this site that can enlighten me? Just really curious as to why this site is all but dead and buried.

• Wow
Reactions: PORKY

·
American Legion Rider
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wondered if Facebook was involved. I don't see the draw to that thing but I guess the younger generations do. Even my wife once said she'd never use it, it was worthless. Today that where her nose is buried most of the time. Somehow Facebook hooks them but I sure don't get it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wondered if Facebook was involved. I don't see the draw to that thing but I guess the younger generations do. Even my wife once said she'd never use it, it was worthless. Today that where her nose is buried most of the time. Somehow Facebook hooks them but I sure don't get it.
Interesting! I think I'm headed towards that direction too. Pretty intriguing and serves the purpose.

·
American Legion Rider
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess, if you use Facebook all the time, it must work for you, but I can't find things posted a week ago that I saw had the very information I wanted. Forums are so much easier in that regard but that's probably because I have no idea how to set things up in FB. And I won't waste my time trying. And now VerticalScope, who owns most forums, is making them FB like as well so maybe some day forums will make a comeback but look a lot different. Time will tell.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Young people have abandoned email, abandoned telephone calling and apparently abandoned forums and similar communication tools. Everything is now texting and social media, primarily Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Those of us that enjoy the fellowship of a forum for the sharing of thoughts by people interested in what we are also interested in seem to be an aging and dying breed. Things have changed so quickly. The entire internet is only about 25 years old for most people. I remember being enamored of chat rooms before there were forums. Actually I remember when if I wanted to talk about motorcycles, my only option was to go the dealership on some pretext, avail myself of the free coffee and donuts, and shoot the breeze with fellow riders while I let myself get talked into taking a demo ride on a new bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I still go to the dealership to take their coffee and donuts. And I’m not buying another bike, PERIOD.
I can't even remember the last time I visited a dealership that offered free donuts, let alone welcomed folks to just come in and share stories about riding.

·
American Legion Rider
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't even remember the last time I visited a dealership that offered free donuts, let alone welcomed folks to just come in and share stories about riding.
Think HD. Well at least the ones here do. We've even gone to calling the regulars the Donut Posse. I'm there when I can even though I'm on my Indian. It's fair though. I gave them plenty of business with my last HD. Too much business!!!

• Haha

·
Registered
25 Posts
Maybe I need to check out the large HD dealer in my city. They are the oldest continuously operated HD dealership in the country. I went there five years ago to look at an Ultra Low and they were very friendly. It might look strange though, if I show up at their service department on my Spyder.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There are literally hundreds of motorcycle specific user Forums available on the WWW, so it is no wonder that interest is sparse and spread out.

The United States Community of Riders, enthusiasts and forum participators is probably small compared to the REST of the World.

Language barriers keep people in Forums where they feel comfortable.

Frankly, if I decided to get another WWW website going and I wanted to make it just another generic one like this Motorcycle forum, what would be the DRAW, to bring others in???? :unsure:

Motorcycle forums have become Social media platforms now, just like FB and a few others and I don't believe it's about Motorcycle specific issues anymore, as those can be easily and better handled by just a quick Google or YouTube inquiry.

Most of us have made many Friends on Forums like this and that's what keeps me coming back, each and every day.

Sam:bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
94 Posts
The friendship is a draw for me to be on daily. I chat with people daily and we know what is going on in each others lives even though some are literally on the other side of the planet. Some are from other planets like Texas. (Snicker...) I am admin or SuperMod on a number of forums and also enjoy the team aspect of that. I am on some great staff rosters and try to learn or teach every day.

I do think forums better archive technical information and are somewhat "peer reviewed" in that a post with inaccurate information is usually quickly and clearly pointed out as false. Using Youtube leaves you to determine if the information is credible by yourself.

One thing Facebook may have over this set up is the local aspect. Many of those are regional pages and members can freely meet. It is more to organize rides and sell parts than a fourm would be. Your best shot at a brand new motorcycle site would be to create a local forum for a large city, advertize on Fakebook and spend a ton of time on search engine optimization so anyone who types motorcycle and your city sees your forum listed. Organize local rides and charity events - even if it is just 5 bikes and let it grow from there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree that the forum concept is for much more than technical discussions of particular type products, even if they began that way. Everyday I check several motorcycle/Spyder related forums and several gun/2nd Amendment related forums. And often I open the threads that have nothing or little to do with the subject for which the forum supposedly exists. This is really true with the gun related forums that I go to, primarily glocktalk and rugerforum, but several others as well. The motorcycle forums seem to stay a bit more focused on bikes and riding but by adding more threads of general interest secondarily related to bikes, they broaden their appeal. What comes to my mind in that regard is the never ending number of threads dealing with the impact of aging upon the riding experience and choice of ride, as well as a place to gripe about winter cold and summer heat.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I joined my first forum in 2014. I had been living in the Philippines in a provincial city for three years. Had no friends and no-one to talk bikes with. The locals are supposed to speak English, but in reality they don't. Also, at that time no-one had 'big' bikes (larger than 125cc).

So I was pretty isolated socially. I was spending a lot of my time on FB - but then discovered Riderforums - because at the time I had a Kawasaki and was getting tired of the brain-dead on FB.

I actually made a few friends at Riderforums - one of whom is still a member, and we chat reasonably regularly. I also met an American ex-army vet who was living in the same city! We hooked up after exchanging a few PMs and went for a few rides. He sold his bike and left the forum - but we are still friends. He even paid for my wedding reception as a wedding gift.

So for me, bike forums are pretty cool. We can talk bikes but other things as well, and usually the members also ride so there is that commonality.

·
American Legion Rider
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You know, I don't remember when I first found a forum. Pretty sure it was a gun forum though and not a bike forum that I joined first. It would have to be The Firing Line, Firearms Talk or Shooters forum. One of those and just not sure which was first anymore. Motorcycle forums came later but I know the first one there was a Suzuki forum. I had no idea what I was doing. It had been 15 years since I was on a computer and boy had things changed. I almost said shove it. Those gun guys were brutal to this noob. But I hung in there. Not sure it was a good idea but I did. I spend way too much time on these things now. I've considered going cold turkey and just stopping but so far every time I've tried it lasted maybe 3 hours.

·
American Legion Rider
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's interesting that since we started making this site look active, we've actually got a few new member posts. Who would have thunk a bunch of weirdos could revive a dead site.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's interesting that since we started making this site look active, we've actually got a few new member posts. Who would have thunk a bunch of weirdos could revive a dead site.
We didn't make it look active - we made it active. I hope that old/new members will post here. Let's try to think of some challenging/interesting topics to get the lurkers interested enough to respond.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts