MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wondering what everyone is running in fuel
I started out with Sunoco I was using the 91 octane for the first couple times I filled up
I had some sounds like popping in the pipes.
At first I thought maybe it just the C02 sensor burning off the extra fuel.
I was told if you give it gas at 3000 RPM or above with the clutch in the un burned fuel is
being burnt off with the C02 sensor. I had it happen a couple times.
I am not familiar with the injected motors my Harley has a carb on it.
The last tank I put in Sunoco Ultra 94 and just did 50 some odd miles and haven't noticed
and popping in the pipes.
just wondering if any of you have had a similar experience.

"If you can"t ride to work why go"???

Liv2Ryd
Chuck

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have been fine on conoco 91 but I have been adding a little bit of octane booster to each tank as well, so that may be why I have not noticed anything. I have not seen any topics posted on this b4 so others will probaby want to chime in on this as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I looked didn't see anything on fuel and I wondered what everyone else is running.
Yea I guess people in diffrent areas have different types of fuel also

"113 Cubic Inches of Raw Attitude"

Liv2Ryd
Chuck

·
Registered
826 Posts
yeah there are definatley diffrent types of fuel depending on your area. I have never seen a Sunoco station.

·
Registered
499 Posts
My dealership said that as long as the stock pipes are on the bike... I should only run premium. When I get aftermarket pipes/BAK/fuel processor... I should run regular with an additive.

They said that premium has too much ethanol and with the price of gas premium also sits in the tanks longer and tends to get old.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That interesting about the premium getting old
I have the SpeedStar long shots on mine
The dealer / plus the big ugly sticker said to 91 octane or better.

The Fastest one is .............................Black

Liv2Ryd
Chuck :wave:

·
Registered
826 Posts
yeah that is very interesting, I have never heard that b4 but it kinda makes sense.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I think the Service manager was saying...with the stock pipes you must burn preium (hence the sticker). Once you put on the pipes/BAK/fuel processor... burn regular gas, using an additive to bring the octane level up instead of burning premium because of its ethanol content and the fact that it sits around longer at the station due to cost.

·
Registered
634 Posts
In any bike I've ever owned, i've never run anything but premium. That is an interesting point about the premium being bought less due to prices, and therefore sitting in the holding tank longer. Nonetheless, i do believe i'll still run nothing but premium for the life of my raider...regardless of the pipes i'm running.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Premium, always.

AND BE CAREFUL of those fuel pumps with only 1 hose - do you know what kind of fuel the person who used the pump before you put in? How much fuel that hose holds?

You can only have 4.1 gallons - make sure 1 gallon of it is not 87 ;)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Something to be aware of at the pumps are those tanker trucks. If you see one filling up a station's holding tanks, try to avoid buying your gas there. These puppies dump thousands of gallons into the holding tanks (usually all three grades of gas during the same delivery) and in doing so stir up any sediments and dirt that has settled at the bottom of these tanks. Now I'm not saying all gas stations you'll visit will have this issue but they are out there so why take a chance. If at all possible go to another station or wait a day for things to settle back down before topping up.
cheers
Soupie :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All good points
Makes you think about what your paying all that money for these days.
Good input.
Liv2Ryd Liv2Ryd
Chuck

·
Registered
530 Posts
I try to use only Shell 93 v-power..I have noticed a difference in this and other gas. Especially the local mini mart gas which here is cumberland farms. My old bike used to run like crap on that stuff.

As far as one hose, well all the stations here have one hose that will give you either reg (87), super (89) or premium (93). In fact I have never seen a gas station that had a hose hooked up to just one type of gas besides diesel.

Also for the tanker filling up a station I think that may be a little overkill. Pumps sucks off the bottom of the tank anyway, plus the gas goes through atleast 2 filters and a Y-strainer before it comes out.

I strictly use premium with a shot of Seafoam every 4t or 5th tank full.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea the BP's used to have separate hoses but I ain't been in one of those in a while I know most
all the stations in Pa here have gotten upgraded in the last 3 or 4 years EPA crap I think everyone
has just one hose you select you octane level.

Good point about the filters

enlighten me what is Seafoam not up on that

Chuck
Liv2Ryd :kboom:

·
Registered
530 Posts
RaiderRyder said:
Yea the BP's used to have separate hoses but I ain't been in one of those in a while I know most
all the stations in Pa here have gotten upgraded in the last 3 or 4 years EPA crap I think everyone
has just one hose you select you octane level.

Good point about the filters

enlighten me what is Seafoam not up on that

Chuck
Liv2Ryd :kboom:
It is a motor treatment that worked wonders on my old scoot. Cleans fuel lines, removes carbon, moisture etc.. They say you can add it to the crankcase oil also but I have not had a need to do that...yet
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpConsumer.htm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts