MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
LADMarines said:
http://www.meancycles.com/Home.asp?...ccCategoryID=2254&CompanyID=0&PartID=0&Event=

What would this do to my bike. I am still learning about these bikes....
It would make it handle like a camel...Yamaha went to a lot of trouble to get the triple tree offsets just right to give good rake & trail numbers, adding 7 degrees to that will not enhance it any! You have a long bike now (wheelbase), do you really want it to be any longer?

Also, you would probably have to lower the rear, as the extra rake would lower the front end, unless you increased the length of the forks. I added the 6 degree triple trees to my Warrior, took them off a week later as the handling was badly affected.

Follow these links for more info:

http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/rake_and_trail.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_and_motorcycle_geometry

http://www.streetchopperweb.com/tech/0109stc_correcting_motorcycle_trail/index.html

Cheers,

Scooter

·
Registered
123 Posts
desertraider said:
Mortons has extended their bike out 7degrees and they told me that it actually handles better!
Do a little research (use the rake/trail links in an earlier post) and do the maths, it doesn't add up.

Maybe in a straight line: a longer bike is more stable at speed in a straight line, but the turniing arc is bigger, so the ability to change direction quickly is reduced.

Actually many riders on the Warrior forums claim the Warrior handling isn't affected by the additional rake from the triple trees (6 degrees), but myself and other experienced riders rode my Warrior along the same twisties with and without the additional rake, and it always faired better with the standard rake and trail.

Riding style, familiarity with your ride and how big your nuts are have to be considered too...but steering geometry is pretty well documented.

I guess you need to ask yourself: 'Do you ride hard and long or bar hop and pose'? And that's not meant to be derogatory - we all have motorcycles for different reasons!

Cheers,

Scooter

·
Registered
538 Posts
The raider and the warrior are different bikes altogether! I hated the way my warrior handled with 7 degree trees but this bike already has that much rake and handles great. Until you ride one with the rake you really can't say how it handles. Call mortons and ask them as i did. They will tell you it handles better. If I lived near them I would go ride it myself.

·
Registered
123 Posts
desertraider said:
The raider and the warrior are different bikes altogether! I hated the way my warrior handled with 7 degree trees but this bike already has that much rake and handles great. Until you ride one with the rake you really can't say how it handles. Call mortons and ask them as i did. They will tell you it handles better. If I lived near them I would go ride it myself.
Don't shoot the messenger...I was answering a technical question with some technical facts...

Warrior/Raider different: In terms of steering geometry? Or in looks and feel. I own both and see a lot of similarities...I own a Victory Vegas Jackpot too, with fatter back tyre, different steering geometry and wheelbase and that is very different! And I'm getting ready to buy a Yamaha MT-01 (short wheelbase, less rake) as I want to go around corners even faster than my Warrior and Raider will!

OK...go ahead and try it. But analyse what it is your doing: changing the rake/trail, wheelbase, ride height, centre of gravity, weight distribution. It only requires simple geometry to calculate what the rake/trail, wheelbase and ride height will be. Ask Mortons for the numbers; if they did a full design study, they'll have them! Then using the tools available on the Web you could determine if it will work or not.

Or, 'suck it and see'. It may work for you, or you may go back to the standard set up, it's only money after all...no pockets in shrouds!

Kewl Metal (http://www.kewlmetal.com) may even offer there rake/fork extension kit for the Raider - but it wil only enhance the looks, not the cornering. In fact the John Henry Raider on Morton's website looks like it's got a Kewl Metal kit!

Cheers,

Scooter

·
Registered
530 Posts
desertraider said:
The raider on mortons page is using the mortons 7 degree kit. Call them and ask about it. What they will tell you is almost to good to believe on how that thing handles.
Well it would not be the first time a company has enhanced the story on a product that they sell. If they did as much research on this as they did the original pipes they made for the raider than I would take that with a huge box of salt. Don't forget the old saying, if it sounds too good to believe it probably is BS.

·
Registered
123 Posts
desertraider said:
The raider on mortons page is using the mortons 7 degree kit. Call them and ask about it. What they will tell you is almost to good to believe on how that thing handles.
You know what they say: 'If it sounds too good too be true...'. Their pipes don't scrape or blue either, apparently.

I was only trying to offer advice to LADMarine. I actually don't normally do those kind of mods to my bike. I'm more into function than form. My experiment with the Warrior angled trees convinced me not go down that road again. Years ago I liked the custom thing, but now I like to ride more, and look-enhancement custom measures and riding seriously don't always go together. I'm having some triple trees made for my Raider with the same offsets and rake angle as standard but with larger diameter bores to take a set of inverted forks.

It may be a Mortons kit but it does look to have the Kewl Metal-style fork extenders to make up for the lowering effect of 7 degrees rake. Maybe they are following Kewl Metals design.

We modify to satisfy our needs/desires, my mods are to enhance performance/handling, if it looks cool too it's a bonus! And actually good engineering usually ends up looking cool and working right!

Cheers,

Scooter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.