MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you plan on using the Dyno Jet Power Commander PC3-USB with a aftermarket exhaust system or filter you will have problems maping it yourself. You basically have no choice but to go to the local authorized Dyno Jet Dealer with a Dyno Tuning Machine for the installation, and proper map. Notice: the 3 maps on line for the Raider are all-in-the-same map. (stock raider exhaust and filter map) worthless to all whom are upgrading themselves.

My recommendation is; Before you purchased a Dyno Jet PC-3USB be prepared to spend the bucks on the shop Dyno Tuner to tune something you could have tuned yourself within a matter of seconds for free ! ???

After calling the Dyno Jet corporation this morning and talking to a (tech rep) I just could not believe their excuses for not having the proper maps for that bike listed on-line for fast and easy downloading yourself. :bash:

It makes you (The Customer) feel like you just purchased your dream motorcylce, and when they deliver it, it didn't come with wheels on it!

·
Registered
373 Posts
That is why I went with the Cobra model. Where I live, there isn't a dyno for over 100 miles. (Yea I know I live in the boonies)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live here in the New Orleans area and we have quit a few Dyno Tuners around me very close. But that's not the big problem. The meassage is that; if you think you are going to easily map the PC-3 yourself (as most people do for free on line by down loading) it's not gone to happen wihtout paying about (going price around here) $175.00 a map tune.

·
Registered
60 Posts
SO does this mean the Cobra unit is the way to go? anyone using the cobra unit with success please let me know..I want to purchase something within the next 2 weeks...I now want to drill the airbox and drop in my K&N filter,...

Thanks

EVIL

'The Road to hell is paved, so ride it'

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have the Cobra FI2000CL with my Cobra Slashdown exhaust. The FI comes pre set for there exhaust and an aftermarket filter. They tell you the settings in the instructions. There are 3 dials with a light for each. They go on to instuct you on how to fine tune your FI for your desired results. I'm still "tweeking" it a bit, but I love the simplicity. I don't have to plug it in to a computer or anything like that. Any major problems, just call the techs at Cobra and get expert advice. Plus I can adjust my settings anywhere I go, don't have to be at home with my laptop. Simple to install as well.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
I have a PCIII installed on my Stom with slip-ons. I never messed with the map at all. I used the manual control and richened it up a tad and I was good to go. I suppose doing that I'm not gleaning every last ounce of HP, but the bike runs great and it has plenty of ponies to spare.

D.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
MilfCruiser said:
if i put hardchromes on , am i stuck with the PCIII?....or are there options with the hardchrome pipes?
You are not confined to using a PCIII with any pipe, HardKrome or otherwise that you install. Power Commanders are certainly the first and therefor most well known Fuel Processors on the market, and are therefor recommended by many pipe manufacturers, and have a good reputation.
Here are some other options to consider:
- Dobeck Performance TFI - my personal favorite, developed by Mark Dobeck, who founded Dynojet and invented the Power Commander
- Cobra FI2000- based on the prior version of the Dobeck TFI
- Kuryakyn Wild Thing - also based on the TFI
- Vance & Hines FuelPak - the latest Fuel Processor introduced, like the others, works with any pipe

·
Registered
640 Posts
ANYTIME you buy a PC3 you should be prepared to get the bike dyno tuned. It doesn't make any difference if they have 100 or 1000 free downloadable maps. Every bike is different and needs it's own custom tune IF you want to get every last drop of power and torque out of it.

Those downloadable maps are just approximations of what might work on your bike or what has worked on someone elses bike.

Look...you can have 10 raiders sitting in a row, each with a BAK & Cobra swepts. I guarantee you that each one of those bikes is going to be running at least a tad off or more from each other.

Think about this...Your STOCK Raider gets 45 miles per gallon. Your buddy has a stock Raider and he rides along side of you. His might get 42 or 40.

The point is that each bike is different, even with the same exact parts.

All of this boils down to what you want out of the bike. If you want to get the absolute most out of your bike then get the PC3 for $265 and a good dyno tune for $200. If you want to spend less then get the Cobra or the V&H BUT just remember that those units are going to do approximations. They won't be as good as a good dyno tune will be.

So....you've spent about $13-$14000 on the bike of your dreams, another $600 for pipes and maybe another $240 for a BAK PLUS probably another $300-$1000 for all the other little doo dads (mods) you'll end up adding. Then you wanna skimp on performance? Doesn't add up in my book but I'm a HP & Torque freak anyway. ;D

And no, I'm not a dyno dealer. Just trying to get things in perspective.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts