MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all , new to forum. I have a problem with what I think is excess vibration all thru the rpm range on my Raider. Mirrors are a little too blurry, the images are not defineable. Having said that it is somewhat better since I corrected the crossed coil wires, but still not great. I also own a Roadliner with bags and windshield and it is smooth, with no mirror blur. Anyone have the same problem? Or any thoughts as to why. :(

·
Registered
157 Posts
Welcome Bro! There are a lot of great people here.
My mirrors get some vibration at highway speeds. Sometimes it's bad enough to make 1 car look like 2. My last bike was a Stratoliner and I am thinking it's maybe just the design of the mirrors. The liner's mirrors are mounted in the center and the Raider's are mounted at the end's. That might be it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I didn't think of the different mounting point, makes sense. I don't see where my Roadliner mirrors are rubber mounted, but if you all are getting a little vibration, I guess I'm happy, since the bike is AWESOME!!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
i don't get any of the vibration you are talking about my mirrors stay steady right up to 75-80 the harmonics are probily different if you move the position alittle maybe you'll get them out of there critical range you have to stiffen or loosen the set up to change the harmonic range wear the will vibrate

sorry that was my vibration geek days coming in yes i have done alot of vib analaysis in my time

·
Registered
154 Posts
You are normal, don't worry. Tank vibrates a bit too at different speeds. Normal.

It's all normal!

I owned a Roadliner and had less vibration in fact when I demo rode the Raider I asked the Dealer who rides Roadliners himself what he thought about the tank vibration, he said he hadn't noticed it.
Rubber mounted I'm told so I'm not worried.

Welcome and enjoy,
Ken

·
Registered
141 Posts
My tank has always vibrated alittle in the low range then smoothes out. My mirrors are steady though no matter what the bike is doing. I was gonna say check the coil wiring but it appears you did that. What grade of gas are u using? Sometimes switching to a higher octane helps smooth out the engine also check your tire pressure.

Raven

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll try moving (resetting) the mirrors to see if it helps. As to octane I usually put 91 in. Thanks for all the tips.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I meant are the LINERS (motors) rubber mounted. Is that why they seem smother?? :wave:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't believe that is normal as some are indicating. I normally cruise at 75 - 85 mph and have not experienced any vibration and can see clearly in the mirrors and never had a tank vibration either. I'd say somethings not right for those with vibration.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i agree retgi that its not normal and if your mirrors are shaking so much that your seeing double triple or whatever something sooner or later is going to crack under that stress mine are smooth thru all operations as is the rest of the bike

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you have got one of the bikes with the coil wires crossed, could this maybe make the bike a bit rough and cause the vibrations? Might be worth checking.

·
Registered
100 Posts
my wires were crossed and i still did not have the vibe problem wires made a difference in lower rpm and speed ranges is it possible that the bolts that hold the engine to the frame are slightly loose maybe i believe (from reading ) that this engine is solid mounted to the frame and relies on the 2 pin counter balancer for smoothness

·
Registered
9 Posts
vibration

I also have vibration, I cheched the coil wires and there were correct from the factory. I only have 200 miles on it so far and it seems the vibration is in the lower gears @ the higher rpm.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't believe that is normal as some are indicating. I normally cruise at 75 - 85 mph and have not experienced any vibration and can see clearly in the mirrors and never had a tank vibration either. I'd say somethings not right for those with vibration.

This may be due to the fact your head is vibrating at the same frequency, therefore no double image! :clap2:

Seriously though...
My Honda CBR 600 mirrors vibrated more then the raider, but my raider mirrors do have some vibrations at diffrent rpms. I think its normal as long as its not too excessive...

Might want to check to make sure they are not too tight or too loose, and that the pivots on the end of the mirrors are not positioned against their "stops".

At least seeing two cars in your mirror is safer then seeing none at all!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey,

I'll weigh in with my experience on the mirror vibration. Similar to other posts I had serious mirror vibration at different rpm's. I mentioned it to my mechanic at my 600 mile service and the problem persisted. I have since changed the stock mirrors for after market mirrors. I now hove no vibration at all. None!

My only conclusion is that it must be a stock mirror issue.

Just my 2 cents.

Ride hard RaiderManiacs. :cruiser:

Todd

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tank vibration and mirrors, rpm dependent. I have this same problem. Didn't really have it until I mod'd the baffle plates. Wierd, but not to significant.

·
Registered
133 Posts
mmm haven't pay too much attention to this yet. I will have to check up on it. I know my R6 did not have this issue at highway speeds.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts