MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened across this forum when searching for the skinny on vertical mount license plates. Quite informative indeed:

Good Day Folks,

Well I am upset once again, I was pulled over last night on my way home from work in front of the "Iron Horse Saloon" in Ormond Beach were I live. The Sherriff came up to me and said sir do you know why I pulled you over(while his hand was over his piece, he seemed very nervous and young). I responded to him "No sir", as he started to explain the NEW Florida law about vertical side mounted license plate brackets are now ILLEGAL in the Great State of FLORIDA. I am a Lead Harley Davidson Technician for the worlds largest aftermarket motorcycle supply company, and did not know this, so I started to get smooth with him, explaining my case, and if he could provide me with the actual statute in writing so I can post this in our store for the customers to see. However after a few minutes pleading my case he let me out with" Son I will be coming to your store tomorrow to bring it to you, have a great evening" so I thanked him and proceed to the nearest watering hole!

So to all you Bikers & motorcycle enthusiasts out there you better change it if your running one!

Ok Just got home from work! Guess who was parked next to my scoot after I got off work, YUP the Volusia county Sherrif's Department, with 1 Squad car. I was Surprised, actually quite impressed, because not a lot of people keep there word anymore. He did just as he said he would and I told the officer I appreciated it.

OK This is the deal:
Display of vehicle License Plates
F.S. 316.605 is amended to provide that the license plate required to be displayed shall not be higher than 60 inches nor lower than 12 inches from the ground and no more than 24 inches to the left or right of the center line of the vehicle. Additionally, vehicles license plates shall be fixed and displayed in such a manner that the letters and numerals shall read from left to right parallel to the ground. No vehicle license plate may be displayed in an inverted or reversed position or in such a manner that the letters and numbers and there proper sequences are not readily identifiable. Effective Date July 1 2007.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Ain't that a b*tch? I live in FL too. Actually there's another law that's been in effect for quite a few years stating that a tag has to be displayed vertical. They must have ammended it with the one you posted.

I was going to display mine on the side vertically but I don't like the look so I've decided to "french" the tag into the new fender.

Sometimes these FL laws are a pain in the butt. :mad:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, I actually e-mailed FDLE in Tallahassee and they got back to me with the FL Statute. I plan to mount it Horizontally but I have yet to find a decent Horiz. mounting bracket that would work on the Raider. You guys know of any?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Tru said:
Yeah, I actually e-mailed FDLE in Tallahassee and they got back to me with the FL Statute. I plan to mount it Horizontally but I have yet to find a decent Horiz. mounting bracket that would work on the Raider. You guys know of any?
Unfortunately I couldn't find any that look decent to me either. You might have to design your own to get the look you want.

I decided to go ahead and re-do the rear fender with the tag inset into it. I'll post a pic when I'm done so you can see what it looks like.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm working on a curved, horizontal side mount. I have the sheet metal cut, drilled and sprayed. I curved a cheap Bell square chrome frame, to match. Now I am hunting for a nice license plate light, to keep it legal. I am thinking of utilizing the hollow axle bolt, as a mounting platform,using a threaded rod and some lock washers, spacer bushing, and vinyl acorn nuts, chromed. I am also toying with backing the mount with chromed diamond plate, found at Ace hardware.

·
Registered
826 Posts
jymmyjaymes said:
I'm working on a curved, horizontal side mount. I have the sheet metal cut, drilled and sprayed. I curved a cheap Bell square chrome frame, to match. Now I am hunting for a nice license plate light, to keep it legal. I am thinking of utilizing the hollow axle bolt, as a mounting platform,using a threaded rod and some lock washers, spacer bushing, and vinyl acorn nuts, chromed. I am also toying with backing the mount with chromed diamond plate, found at Ace hardware.
I used some LED Tag bolts as the light on mine and they seem to work pretty well and are inexspensive check them out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Univ...017QQitemZ270240868062QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
eian31 said:
jymmyjaymes said:
I used some LED Tag bolts as the light on mine and they seem to work pretty well and are inexspensive check them out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Univ...017QQitemZ270240868062QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
That's the ticket buddy, I will go with those little light fasteners. By the way, instead of using a threaded rod, I found that a rubber expansion nut used with a 4 inch bolt with spacers and washers works great inside that rear axle. Now the other post has me rethinking this, because of that cool swingarm cover. I might as well use the bracket for the rear peg to attach the license plate bracket.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.