MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I'm double-posting this from the General Discussion board)

What have you guys found is the best way to remove those warning stickers from the fuel tank?

Yes, I know I'm supposed to wear a helmets and goggles, and yes, I know what grade of fuel to feed my baby, now...GET OF MY TANK, IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE A CUSTOM BIKE! :icon_twisted: :mad:

I've heard leave it out in the sun, and try my wife's hair dryer, but since the gov't is supposed to save us from ourselves, hair dryers don't even blow warm enough to melt butter....

UPDATE - Here's the scoop - the hair dryer is the way to go, you just have to be PATIENT. Heat the decal gently and slowly, and it will come off. Goo Gone, WD-40, etc. can used to remove any adhesive residue. Hat tip to several STAR members for the info, plus here's a link to an article from Motorcycle Cruiser magazine.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/remove_stickers_from_paint/index.html

·
Registered
326 Posts
thanks alot NJ i was wondering the safest way to get those off,will that method also work for the star stickers on the chrome plastic covers on each side of the motor ??? I've heard that the chrome will bubble off the plastic or become flaky and brittle with heat and chemicals

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent point AO.

All the information that I found applied to decals and stickers on painted metal. There was no information on chromed plastic, so I would definitely advise caution.

·
Registered
326 Posts
i performed the sticker/decal removel today just as the instructios said and everything come off easy without leaving any residue behind :coolsmiley: even the ones on the chrome covers!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Removed Decals from the pint and the chromed plastic side covers. Hair dryer and WD40 with some elbow grease. No problems.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I have removed all decals and chrome tank strips also used blow dryer and wd for initial clean up. Used bug and tar remover for final clean up worked real well and left behind a real nice shine. Actually i use bug and tar on the entire front of bike makes for easy clean up after a day of riding. IT WORKS GREAT ON WHEEL CLEAN UP ALSO.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Just using a hair dryer does a really good job of getting the decals off - provided you go slow and work it steadily from one edge or corner. You might find you've got a couple of edge lines from a bit of adhesive residue. Get those off with a common solvent e.g. bug remover.

distantThunder

·
Registered
193 Posts
or -

you could be inpatient like me - 2 mins. of hair dryer then scrape it off with a blade - worked fine. Cept for the tiny scratch marks in that cheap plastic cover. Oh, well - someone will eventually come out with nice new chrome covers!

·
Registered
55 Posts
On the Tank, side covers and rear fender I just used my finger nail to get a corner up and peeled the sticker off and used protect all to clean the residue off.

·
Registered
117 Posts
+1 on the heat gun, hair dryers blow, HAH. but in all seriousness, with a heat gun this would probably take about a minute a sticker. a heat gun is a great investment, well worth the 25-30 bucks.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I bought my bike Memorial Day weekend and immediately removed the gas tank sticker. So nearly a year later is it too late to attempt removing some of the other stickers? Or has the adhesive set up too much. The sun gets hot out here in Colo in the summer and the winters get rather cool too. BTW, the bike is a Raven.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Should still work. The hair dryer is safer. I envision too much heat with a heat gun and causing the paint to bubble.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks. Guess I'll have to go yardsaling this spring. I haven't had a blowdryer since the 80's. And haven't needed one since the 90's. :roflblack:

·
Registered
358 Posts
A heat gun isn't bad if you keep it far enough away. Should still be able to remove all the stickers.

Doug

·
Registered
79 Posts
sticker removal

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:eek:mg you all must be kidding me on this topic...how to remove a sticker??????come on guys a sticker?????we ride this bad ass machine down the highway and we need to know how to remove a [email protected]# sticker?????thats just ridicouls:idunno::idunno::idunno:

·
Registered
117 Posts
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:eek:mg you all must be kidding me on this topic...how to remove a sticker??????come on guys a sticker?????we ride this bad ass machine down the highway and we need to know how to remove a [email protected]# sticker?????thats just ridicouls:idunno::idunno::idunno:
As is your spelling! :roflblack:This is a "how-to"...so what if someone is seeing how other people did something to determine the best way.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Most people get one end of the sticker up and then flip it over about 120 degrees and pull it back (like a taco). You then have to figure out how to remove all that nasty residue.

To minimize the amount of residue by about 80% try this. Once you get one edge started only bed it up about 45 degrees. Pull the sticker really tight and straight up not to exceed that 45 degree bend. Most the residue will remain on the sticker and not your paint. Makes clean up allot less painful.

Trust me this elementary lesson works for almost all adhesive stickers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts