MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i changed the break in oil today and was looking threw my owners manual to make sure i did everything right when i looked at the service intervals it said that you should have a dealer change your transfer case oil at 600 miles and then again at 14000 i think , but anyway i know what a transfer case on my 4wd is but what is it on the raider and where is it and why is it that only a dealer can change the oil in it? ???

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Couple of things -

Transfer case on these bikes is equivalent to the primary drive on an HD - where power from the crank gets transfered to the tranny - it's a chain in our case. Trans has a separate lube supply.

Your dealer doesn't have to change it, you could def do it yourself. The only reason why they say the dealer should do it is because 600 miles is the crucial first service, so they'll be doing other stuff to the bike anyway.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh ok does it take 90w gearoil, and i cant seem to find a drainplug

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i figured it out very easy to do this website is awsome it has the owners manuals and the dealer shop manuals it doesnt have the raider yet but it has the xv1900 for the strat which is the same motor

http://www.paulmilner.com/

(it in 2 differnt languages english and something else)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Checked out the service manual. Have to remove the exhaust to change transfer case oil. Was going to get my new exhaust after my 600 mile service. I'll save myself some work by doing it at the same time.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not to be contrary; but, one can change the transfer case oil without taking the exhaust off. I admit that it is a bit tricky but it can be done. You can get to the drain plug without too much difficulty. The filler plug to the transfer case is a bit more difficult to get at but you can get at it and remove that plug. The clearance between the filler plug and the exhaust is tight. It is a 10mm hex plug. I cut down a 10mm hex and was able to get it into the plug with no problem so I could add the necessary fluid if I wished to at that site. Others have actually used two different method to fill the transfer case. 1) They use the oil level check plug to actually add the transfer case oil or 2) they use the drain plug site and "push" the fluid it untill it begins to drip out the check plug; then they quickly insert the drain plug before it comes back out.

NYRaider

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the oil i used came in a regular 90w bottle with the little cone that you cut for how much you wanna pore. i just took a piece of clear plastic hose and stuck it over the cone and then into the filler hole it only took about 10 min to do the whole job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts