MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
So whats the strategy for existing models...

So whats the strategy for existing pre-2006 BH models...

Whats the game plan...hang onto it forever or buy a EPA blessed communist-sewing-machine or take it to an EPA blessing site where they can tell you all you need to do to detune your vehicle to average joe specs?

puzzled mind...
Aldo

·
Registered
173 Posts
Busa Dave said:
FWIW--I have been performing evaluations on companies professionally as part of my job for 20 years this as of this coming May.
I guess I was right. You're not an entrepreneur. You stand on the side-lines "performing evaluations" and never throw your hat in the ring. BTW, could you post a picture of your Boss Hoss? You can tell alot about a man by looking at his bike ;^) ...

jack

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Eddie,

From what I understood, the pre '06 (or '05) bikes are not going to have to meet the entire standard (?) but will be 'grandfatered in' so-to-speak......right??

But as you stated, it is the ENTIRE driveline that has to be maintained in tact to remain compliant......so in effect, you can;t even go to an oversize tire. a good friend (and owner of a shop involved in aftermarket goodies) was at the Indianapolis show and he said it appeared the mfgs & distributors had "their heads in the sand" relative to the EPA issue........
guess they think it will either go away, or they want ot sell all of their non-compliant goodies :wink:

Tim

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Jack,
Check on Ebay once in a while and you'll see Busa Dave's bike. He's been trying to sell it for a while. Guess that Shafiroff Racing Engine, which we all know has been specially blueprinted and built for the Boss Hoss, and the fact that it's the baddest Boss Hoss on the planet haven't been enough for Dave to successfully sell it. Too bad... kinda hopin' to see him go.

By the way, Dave, I've seen Steve Barr ride his current Boss and his other Bosses. He can, and does!!! Like he says, though, we just don't hear much about your riding adventures except that you're always broken. We know, we know, it's The Facory's fault that you keep breaking your toy (those sons of bitches).

Really though, Dave, us squids, professors and old men would like to know how many miles you have put on your scoot and in what period of time??? I'm guessing your answer is going to be something like, "Vin Diesel and me live our lives a quarter mile at a time...".

You're a bad man Busa Dave!

Wild Bill

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Check cycle trader... Dave`s bike was there a couple weeks ago..

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
I would guess if somebody looked at it and then purused this site and read about all the breakdowns it had, it won't go fast.

G

·
GRUMPY said:
I would guess if somebody looked at it and then purused this site and read about all the breakdowns it had, it won't go fast.
If we all chipped in a 100 bucks we could buy it. Not sure what we would do with it after that but it would be worth a 100 bucks to see him go play somewhere else. ;)

·
Registered
526 Posts
I am just going to build another one. :wink: but very few here will be interested it as it will be built for performance not tire smoking and depends hauling. :D With all of the hot air and smell of filled depends I still don't see very many who have gone to the trouble with not only the motor but the drive train to make the bike perform. I may just abandon this quest for performance and be satisfied with status quo--------nope not old enough and I can still control my bladder but not my fingers. :oops:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Timmy - The law was enacted in 1974 but never enforced on the motorcycles. There was talk about enforcing the standards all the way back to year 74 models but that would be a nightmare for the EPA. So in essence we are grandfathered. There is also talk of a special show only titling that will work almost like the classic car plates. You can only ride on holidays, parades, and to and from shows. We all know people with those plates that use their cars as daily drivers. Like the man says it's not against the law unless you get caught. Timmy you are correct even a tire size change is considered a violation. Harley dealers are a little concerned because all those twin cam bikes they converted to 95 and 103 inchers were never certified epa compliant. Have you noticed there are more and more manufacturers posting,"FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY" on their pipes, carbs, cams, etc... That gets them off the hook..This whole thing should be pretty interesting..It is going to depend on what group has the biggest wallet to pay off the feds...

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Well, then I guess the older model years are going to have their value in the marketplace as time moves on. I'll keep mine and just keep upgrading I guess :lol:

Tim

·
Registered
526 Posts
New Law in Custom Motorcycles for 2006:
In December 2003, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) published a Final Rulemaking (FRM) establishing more stringent emission for highway motorcycles for the year of 2006.
Amongst a higher emissions standard for all manufactured motorcycles for 2006, the other major item in EPA 420 is a once-in-a-lifetime exemption for a custom motorcycle (Special Construction) for your own personal use, as long as you don't sell it for at least five years.
This EPA rule allows for the construction of your custom motorcycle and it refers to your lifetime. You are allowed one EPA-exempt custom motorcycle that has no restrictions on how and where it may be used under this rule. The exemption is for the motorcycle owner's lifetime.
Under this federal law, you are not allowed to sell your EPA-exempt special construction motorcycle for five years after the date of final assembly, even in case of death, bankruptcy, or divorce. After five years, your EPA-exempt motorcycle can be sold. If you do sell your EPA-exempt motorcycle, you will not be allowed to own another exempt special cunstruction motorcycle.
The new regulations will only affect new motorcycles produced for the 2006 and later model years. Anything manufactured prior to the 2006 model year will not be affected and will remain legal to own and operate.
You can see the EPA's "Final Rule for Cleaner Highway Motorcycles," along with other supporting documents, at http://www.epa.gov/otaq/roadbike.htm

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Eddie & Tim...If you are "grandfathered", can you continue to modify the bike which has already been modified? For example, if my stroker motor toasts, can I put a bigger motor in or do I have to go back to compliant items and replace it with an EFI 350 motor? Can headers and other aftermarket mods be replaced with the same or even upgrades?

Busa Dave...I have been an advocate of your right to express yourself here but that post stating that Tom Breedlove's venture is going to fail is out of line without knowing squat about his company. The post was just abrasive and uncalled for. Maybe you just get some kind of kick pissing the members off. I suggest you know your facts before shooting the mouth off...Joe

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Thanks Dave

Busa Dave said:
New Law in Custom Motorcycles for 2006:
In December 2003, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) published a Final Rulemaking (FRM) establishing more stringent emission for highway motorcycles for the year of 2006.
Amongst a higher emissions standard for all manufactured motorcycles for 2006, the other major item in EPA 420 is a once-in-a-lifetime exemption for a custom motorcycle (Special Construction) for your own personal use, as long as you don't sell it for at least five years.
This EPA rule allows for the construction of your custom motorcycle and it refers to your lifetime. You are allowed one EPA-exempt custom motorcycle that has no restrictions on how and where it may be used under this rule. The exemption is for the motorcycle owner's lifetime.
Under this federal law, you are not allowed to sell your EPA-exempt special construction motorcycle for five years after the date of final assembly, even in case of death, bankruptcy, or divorce. After five years, your EPA-exempt motorcycle can be sold. If you do sell your EPA-exempt motorcycle, you will not be allowed to own another exempt special cunstruction motorcycle.
The new regulations will only affect new motorcycles produced for the 2006 and later model years. Anything manufactured prior to the 2006 model year will not be affected and will remain legal to own and operate.
You can see the EPA's "Final Rule for Cleaner Highway Motorcycles," along with other supporting documents, at http://www.epa.gov/otaq/roadbike.htm
Thanks Dave for the clarification...Looks like we keep the old bike and keep Frankensteining it to stay modern looking and kicka$$ for the rest of our lives. Problem is...most of us eventually fall out of love with it or it just is not worth it...

Aldo

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Does the five year rule mean you can't sell the bike 5 years form the time of purchase or from the time of the last non-compliant modification?...Joe

·
Registered
526 Posts
Joe Ramieri said:
. I suggest you know your facts before shooting the mouth off...Joe
Just because I think something is ugly and will not sell is not a fact--just an opinion. Time will be the Only thing that will bear this out no matter how many people turn blue holding their breath wishing I would turn into a Toad! If you are interested about the requlations go to the above EPA site and research your question—pretty straight forward actually. :p

·
Registered
504 Posts
[quote="Busa DaveOh Professor---yes there are those here who have met me and seen me ride so if you are not sharp enough to figure out how to do searches to find this information PM me. I will help a hook a brother up. My bike is real and it will fly---will yours? I suspect a depends wearing geezer that likes to smoke the tire to stroke his ego--those who can can those that can't teach!!!!! :D

Ok Flame suit back on.[/quote]

Hi Dave,

A geezer- sure, I'm over 50, I guess that makes me a geezer. Wearing Depends, not yet. I prefer to put the cards on the top of the table. It's not an issue of being sharp enough to search posts for you. I have neither the time or interest to play on the internet to find you. Like I said, give us some names (2 or 3) that can vouch for you being a regular V8 rider. No picture, no address, no name, no one knows you. Just to be fair here's a few that will vouch for me- Lamont, Jack (Hawk88), Geezer, Grumpy, Bill Taylor, Elliot and the S. Fla. boys, Chris Capps, Breedlove, Jack DeLelys, the guys at Va. Cycles.

It's ok if you want to insult my profession- I had a nice industry career before my academic 'second life'. I'm having a lot more fun than I did in industry and getting to do what I want- new business startups.

Now you and I do agree on one thing - anyone can spin tires. I can do that on my son's 10 year old V6 automatic Camaro. I'm more interested in hookup. Besides, these rear tires are expensive to me. That's why I went with the 2 speed clutch tranny. Much better pull. I'm satisfied with the performance on mine and I drive it to and from work most all of the year. Maybe it beats your, maybe not. Don't care.

If you want to be taken seriously then put the cards on top of the table. Otherwise, no one will believe you. It's nothing personal. Vic Richards asked us to 'trust and believe' him. That did not work out too well per those that bought his tranny. Those who hide usually do so for a reason. Show me you're someone I should take seriously as a V8 rider and I'll be the first to do so. 2-3 regulars around here vouching for you would do it for me. We're all prima donnas/alpha males around here, no one's going to flame someone about that. So, who can verify you?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Joe Ramieri said:
Does the five year rule mean you can't sell the bike 5 years form the time of purchase or from the time of the last non-compliant modification?...Joe
Date of final assembly for the bike that qualifies under this provision.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
So...my take on this is that if you own a bike produced pre-2006...none of this applies and you can make any mods you want without any 5 year restriction and that you can buy one more customized bike in your lifetime and then the 5 year rule does apply...Joe

·
Registered
544 Posts
per the 1974 clean air act, we are not supposed to make any changes to our motor vehicles. The EPA never enforced this on cycles. Thye could if they wanted to but how? Who would have the records of what was on the bike when you bought it? Impossible to enforce on the pre -2006 bikes. You can build one "lifetime" non-epa compliant bike. You must own it for 5 years before you can sell it. The law states that if you have a custom shop build you a non-compliant bike , you must own the parts prior to the build. Dah!!! Are they wacky or what..That one is an easy one to get around though. There is so much coming down the pike with this epa enforcement. The good thing right now they are willing to listen. I sent a hugh questionaire in stating how much of my income is from installing after market parts, doing engine mods, building complete cycles, and installing exhaust systems. Supposedly they are looking at what impact this will have on the industry. Lets face it, if the little guy goes belly up so does the after market industry. My take on this whole thing is the big companies are getting hurt by all the custom builders and are lobbying to get this changed in their favor. I only build 3 bikes a year (one man show) how can I hurt the big guys but multiple that by 1000's and it is hurting their sales. When was the last time you saw tons of Harleys on the sales floor not sold? All about the buck!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tom Breedloves's New V8

Well, heres my two cents on the matter. I'm sixty five, have two Hosses
and am not on depends yet. I may have to stop every fifty miles to
piss, but by then my but needs a break anyway. I am very thankful
for people like Tom Breedlove, Monte Warne, the OCC folks and the
like. They see things and want to make it better. It's called good old
American ingenuity. More power to them. It's what makes this country
great. I suppose someone told the Wright brothers,"It aint going to
fly". Henry Ford was laughed at too. So press on Breedlove, ya got