MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi new to the site thx for your help so far with the coil wire issue

My raider has had a slight oil leak starting on the right side beneath the oil lines and running down, just enough to drip on my floor (just a couple of drops a day). Has any one else had this issue and what repairs did it take to resolve? I have the only Raider around my area and my mech is good but has never seen one up close (and this is a dealership) so any help i could give him would be appreciated. thx guys see you on the road

·
Registered
67 Posts
My tappet blocks were leaking, or more like seeping just enough fluid to make the engine case damp.
They never leaked enough to make a drop on the floor. I had the same problem with my 02 Road Star, and the dealer had to replace the gaskets. I just picked up my Raider from the dealer, and they replaced the gaskets on it. The Raider is a new bike, but the engine is basically the Roadliner/Stratoliner engine, and any Yamaha Tech that's been around the past 3 years, should have some experience working on those. If he's at a certified dealership, he should be a certified Mechanic.

It took my dealer 7 hrs to replace my gaskets, under warranty. So get yours checked out ASAP, so you don't get stuck with THAT bill!

If you have oil on the floor, it may be something else other than the tappet blocks. Anyway, it's under warranty, so the dealer will have to fix it.

Good luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bike has 521 miles on it and its almost 2 weeks old (i have a little commute). My mech attempted to replace an o-ring on one of the lines, it improved the problem but did not fix it. Im about to head up to PA for a weeks vacation and ill leave the bke with him then. Im sure he will get it figured out, just triing to give him any help i can.

See you guys on the road. :icon_twisted:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry i was rude. Little about myself I live in Aiken S.C., retired Marine (Med retire as a staff sergeant after 10 1/2 yrs), I have owned 2 Harleys (74,86), 1 ninja (96), 1 honda (76), and 1 v-star (02). After my son was born i got out of riding for about 3 yrs. until I saw the Raider (had to have it). I now work in the service dept at a Nissan dealer, I do minor repairs and warranty work.

Anyone on the forums has any nissan questions or problems drop me a line I'll find you an answer without any problem.

Thx for your help.

See you on the road. :icon_twisted:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello BigBoy and sorry to hear of your oil leak...I'm looking at my bike and wondering if your leak is where the two chrome oil lines from the oil tank meet the engine case on the lower right rear?

Some (like me on a Stratoliner) have had oil seeps around the base of the two push rod tubes going to the cylinder heads, I guess due to the O-rings and seals under there not being compressed enough...Also, the two small hex head bolts with copper gaskets just below each push rod tube that seal the oil galleries can seep, and a light tightening to about 6 ft lbs solves that problem.

Interestingly enough, Yamaha recommends in the Service Manual that we loosen those oil gallery bolts to confirm oil pressure is available after each oil and filter change...can't think of a good reason to do that but some might.

I tightened the chrome oil lines to 7.2 ft lbs this AM at the tank and engine, and they were a bit loose on the engine...my push rod tubes are oil-free so far on this Raider, but I snugged up the two bolts on each to 7.2 ft lbs just in case.

Gary in Fairbanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My leak starts under the two chrome oil lines and works its way through and down to a cross bar on the lower frame (half way under the engine and drips one to two drops near the kick stand) I asked my mech if he had a uv light, he didn't. I have oil dye and a uv at my work and i'll probably add it and take a look to see if I can locate the area its coming from. My oil level was rather high do you think that it could be from that.

On a second note. Took a short test drive with my coil wires in the correct location and noticed a big difference at low speed.

See you on the road. :icon_twisted:

·
Registered
67 Posts
BigBoy...Thanks a bunch for the HEADS UP on this oil leak issue!...I crawled on my bony knees and looked where the lower fittings of the chrome oil lines from the oil tank mate to the right side of the engine block...there are four oil fittings that meet the case within a 4" circle...two are the chrome lines lower fittings, and there are two more black from the front of the engine...tighten all four fittings snug or no more than 7 ft lbs...it'll take a 5mm hex head socket and an extension with a universal joint to reach some I found.

The chrome oil line that is furthest outboard and has two 5mm hex head bolts at it's lower end...on mine the rear bolt was not even finger tight and the fitting was leaking...the front was ok...torqued and leak hopefully fixed...there are O-rings under the fittings between them and the block so it should seal ok.

I started a new thread "loose chrome oil line fitting" only to separate the oil line leaks from the tappet block leaks.

Gary in Fairbanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.