MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - maybe I missed something along the way, but I'm curious to know who has done what with a tachometer for the Raider. God knows, we don't need anything gawdy or otherwise obtrusive, but a tach would be nice. Any suggestions or experience?

·
Registered
387 Posts
The absence of a tachometer is the only thing I miss on this bike. I asked a friend about having one fitted. He's one of those guys who seems to know everything about engines (unlike me). His response was "Don't do it!!" Seems like it involves drilling into things and making holes where they are not designed to be. You can be sure that fitting one would void your warranty. So me, I'm just going to listen to the revs and change gear appropriately. I get scared about radical mods to the engine.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The absence of a tach on the Raider doesn't make any sense. It's a major oversight by Yamaha. You'd think they could fit a gage for engine rpm somewhere on the display. It can't be that hard.

Please post an update if you make any more progress.

distantThunder

·
Registered
273 Posts
Even my last Harley had a tach, although many do not. I really like a tach and do not understand why so many nice bikes do not have them.55Mike

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Hey 55Mike

By the way, I'm impressed by that photo of you floating across your living room. If you could do that while also riding your Raider - you could probably get speaking engagements :)

distantThunder

·
Registered
42 Posts
Keep an eye on the Baron's site or Dakota Digital. Something is bound to appear sooner or later. And my guess would be they would be close to plug and play installs. With the exception
of the tach head.

Not many mechanical driven units anymore, mostly electronic. Just give the aftermarket some time to access demand & do the R&D

·
Registered
640 Posts
DogBite said:
The absence of a tachometer is the only thing I miss on this bike. I asked a friend about having one fitted. He's one of those guys who seems to know everything about engines (unlike me). His response was "Don't do it!!" Seems like it involves drilling into things and making holes where they are not designed to be. You can be sure that fitting one would void your warranty. So me, I'm just going to listen to the revs and change gear appropriately. I get scared about radical mods to the engine.
Why would hooking up a tach void the warranty? What am I missing? ???

·
Registered
387 Posts
As my limited understanding goes, the warranty would be void if a mechanical tach was fitted because it would entail fitting whatever kind of device into the innards of to measure the revs. It would be a physical mod to the engine itself. It may be a completely different thing if it can be done electronically. Given all the computer control units in this bike, I imagine that some skilled electrical wizard could hook into the relevant circuits.

I think... Hey, what do I know about this stuff. ??? I'd just like to know how fast the engine is spinning.

·
Registered
826 Posts
There should be no need to use a mechanical tach. There are plenty of electronic units out there where all you have to do is tap into the coils.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hey distantThunder
Oh how I wish I could really do that. That is my wife standing there watching me. I did that before I bought my Raider. Now I do not have enough time for photoshop. Ride safe.
55mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
I installed a mini chrome tach from drag specialties. I have it on the bars just to the right of center. It really looks cool but only gives me a 1/2 rpm reading. I have it connected to the #1 coil, 12v. for power and ground as per the instructions. Nobody has been able to explain adequately to me how to install the adapter that supposedly will give me a true reading. Since the #1 coil (right side of rear cyl. head) only fires every 720 degrees it's obvious that I'll only get the 1/2 reading (450 rpm at idle). I'll figure it out one day. At least it lets me know what gear I'm in -- if I'm reading about 1,300 rpm at 50mph (2,600 rpm) I know I'm in 4th; if I'm reading about 1,300 rpm at about 62 mph I know I'm in 5th. I was thinking of connecting another tach wire to the #2 coil (right side of front cyl. head) to see if that would correct the situation, but I don't want to screw anything up electrically! I'm just waiting for now for someone to be successful with a Raider tach!

Mr. Max

·
Registered
826 Posts
Yeah my guess is that you are going to need to grab a second wire but I have not messed with it to see if my assumtion is correct. I don't really feel like I need a Tach as I am not drag racing it and it seems that the earlier you shift in the gear the better off I am. but thats just me.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BeeGee said:
I've written pro-one about making a tach for the Raider (they make them to replace the riser top for Yamahas). I was told by their rep that they will have them around fall. The link will give you an idea what to expect.

http://www.pro-one.com/Tach_Kits_for_Stock_Risers_s/230.htm

Brian
WOOOHOOO! I like it. I guess I'd better start working some overtime....................

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had asked my dealer about a tach and he informed me that due to the V-Twin concept, they are all mostly low RPM engines. And from performance standpoint it's fairly easy to hear, feel and sense what the engine is doing and a tach wouldn't tell you much in the way of performance since it would register rather low readings in the first place. Other than relating to shift points you can pretty well tell what ya gotta do by listening alone. The V-Twins are nothing compared to high rpm 2-cycle and 4-stroke in-line cylinder engines that can easily be over-revved. Just thought I would add my 2-cents worth. Enjoy :popcorn:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Doesn't make sense, the Stratoliner has a tach in the bottom of the display opposite the fuel gauge. Why couldnt they have put one on our Raiders, especially being more muscular.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mr.Max said:
I installed a mini chrome tach from drag specialties. I have it on the bars just to the right of center. It really looks cool but only gives me a 1/2 rpm reading. I have it connected to the #1 coil, 12v. for power and ground as per the instructions. Nobody has been able to explain adequately to me how to install the adapter that supposedly will give me a true reading. Since the #1 coil (right side of rear cyl. head) only fires every 720 degrees it's obvious that I'll only get the 1/2 reading (450 rpm at idle). I'll figure it out one day. At least it lets me know what gear I'm in -- if I'm reading about 1,300 rpm at 50mph (2,600 rpm) I know I'm in 4th; if I'm reading about 1,300 rpm at about 62 mph I know I'm in 5th. I was thinking of connecting another tach wire to the #2 coil (right side of front cyl. head) to see if that would correct the situation, but I don't want to screw anything up electrically! I'm just waiting for now for someone to be successful with a Raider tach!

Mr. Max
You need to get a Single fire ignition adapter to get it to work on The Raider and have it read true its and easy 3 wire hook up and it will cancel out any ignition noise you may get. Barons makes them if u need one
Dot

1 - 18 of 18 Posts