MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys:

Anybody found a suitable tach and temp. gauge for the Raider? I'm kinda lost without them. Had both, stock,
on my V-Maxes. Also, anybody get a sissy bar and rack yet?

Just did my 600 mile oil changes -- what a pain in the butt! It's doable, but they make it really difficult with the various odd size tools required and the severe lack of space. The main engine oil drain is the only easy thing. Just a socket wrench on the right side back by the rear suspension spring. The other two drains are on the left side just behind the kickstand. You'll need a short thin-profile closed-end 17 mm crescent wrench. Mine wasn't thin enough, so I grinded it down until it fit. Also, my wrench was to long to turn it freely so I had to lay the bike over on a large 8" by 10" block under the right foot peddle. Change filter and add 5.18 qts of Yamalube 20W40 or 50 oil.

Draining the transfer case is another horror story. First, take off the exhaust heat deflector exposing the exup valve (5 allen head screws). To remove the straight plug, the large round one on the right side towards the front of the large chrome plate, you'll need a 10 mm allen wrench. Unfortunately, the wrench comes to long to fit so again you have to grind off about a half inch off the end to make it fit. Then you need a 40T Tork (star) wrench that you can fit into a socket wrench to get the transfer gear oil drain bolt out (it's right behind the tied foil packet). After draining, put the bolt back in and fill thru the large hole (.58 US qts. of SAE 80-90 API GL-4 Hypoid gear oil). Now check the level by removing the gear oil check bolt with a 3 mm allen wrench (I think) -- right under the large oil filler straight plug hole. With the bike upright you should get a couple drops coming out the hole -- it's full. Anyway, hope this helps someone. Now that I've done it, it won't be a problem in the future - but it sure was a pain the first time. I have a service manual that helped greatly -- it's $50 but certainly worth it!

Take care,

Mr. Max

·
Registered
826 Posts
You don't have to pull the exhaust to change the tranfer case fluids. There was a post on here that detailed the process, I used it myself and it was fairly easy. Just an FYI to all those reading this. Saved me loads of time

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.