MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here. I currently have an 07 Sportster 1200 Custom. I'm 20 years old. I'm looking for something that will be faster in a straight line and handle as good, if not better than the Sportster. The other guy I ride with is toying with the idea of getting off of his GSXR1000 and getting an M109R. The Suzuki looks like a husky bike, but I have read it doesn't like to lean too far. I really like the look of the Raider, and the quarter mile specs show that it is about a second faster in a straight line. I haven't been able to find anything on the handling though. I like to ride like I have a crotch rocket sometimes, but I can't afford the $5,000/year for insurance on a 600 series sportbike. I see probably 50/50 highway/city driving, and use the Sportster as a commuter. Is the Raider the bike for me or is there something else I should look in to?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eian31 said:
I think you would be more than happy with the Raider and my suggestion is that you try to find a dealer that has one you can ride and then you will know for sure.
I went down to the dealer yesturday and the salesman said every time they get one it leaves within a day or two of it being there. :(

Ninja-Matic said:
I'll just say that while the Raider CAN go fast and lean like crazy - if you're into that kind of driving - then you'd be better off with a sport-bike.
I want a bike that has the ability to do it. I've never been on something that weights 700lbs dry. And I always wear a full helmet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just picked up the Sportster from a 5k service. It took me an hour to get the bike and go home because the service department is so slow. The bike was ready, there were 2 service writers, and 1 person in front of me when I got there. Turns out I blew the intake gaskets. I don't know if the bolts just shook themselves loose or it's because I ride the piss out of it, but it is very disappointing at 5,000 miles. It was covered under warranty.

What I'd like is something that I can at least lean like the Sportster when I want to. It would be a much better bike if it was a little less rough, and had a little more kick. My gsxr buddy is seriously thinking about an M109R, but it doesn't look like it will handle curves very well. I wish the local dealer had either of the bikes. :-\

I also looked at the Rocket III, but I keep seeing mixed reviews on the reliability of Triumph. I sat on one and it seemed pretty comfortable. The closest dealer is also 2 hours away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.