MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I'm attempting to install the Patrick Racing BAK. Anyone who has completed this, can you offer any suggestions? I've removed the seat, disconnected the fuel lines, removed gage cover and the tank to get at the stock air box. I moved the various wiring connectors out of the way and unscrewed all the screws to the air box I can see. What's left is the bottom half of the air box (which has to be removed) exposing the throttle boddies with rubber gaskets. I've pulled and shifted the bottom half in attempt to remove it but it doesn't seem to want to come off. :confused: I don't want to use too much force and risk creating air leakage or unforeseen damage. I got this far and this seems like such a silly place to get stuck. Anyone who's removed air box for a similar mod, I'd appreciate your inputs here. Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'll give this a try, I've removed the air box to do a throttle body synch, but not to install the BAK...normally the air box in not disassembled, only the overlying wiring and hold down bracket...one metal clamp per throttle body holds the air box to the two throttle bodies by clamping around the rubber tubes between the air box and the throttle bodies...look under the air box to see the Phillips head screw that loosens each clamp...pull the loosened air box up with a rocking motion to release it from one throttle body at a time.

See pp. 4-13/14 this is for the Roadliner, but the airbox is built a bit differently:
http://www.roadlinerdiner.com/roadliner/servicemanual/

Gary in Fairbanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had the same problem. There are 2 1/4in I think bolts that tighten clamps around throttle bodies also there is a hos that goes to a valve in the neck you need to put a filter similar to the crank case filter on it as this is the cold air input dont do like I did and by pass this as when the bike is cold it wont run. had to take the tank off again because I didnt put it on as my instructions didnt cover that step.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Sleepercell said:
I had the same problem. There are 2 1/4in I think bolts that tighten clamps around throttle bodies also there is a hos that goes to a valve in the neck you need to put a filter similar to the crank case filter on it as this is the cold air input dont do like I did and by pass this as when the bike is cold it wont run. had to take the tank off again because I didnt put it on as my instructions didnt cover that step.
Hey Sleeper so what kind of Filter did you use. Got a pic and price?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks PA, yep I see them plain as day now that you point them out. Thanks. I should be good to go. I'm hoping to get things finished up this weekend.

Sleeper - I'm curious about the hose/valve/neck you mention. Did you install the PR BAK as well? The kit comes with two K&N air breathers and two K&N air cleaners. Nothing mentioned about this hose and valve?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I know tell me about it. I installed the Thunder MFG which is just about the same and because its not in the instructions I disabled it in error. There are to hoses one from each throttle body. They have 2 connectors to lengthen them and the go up to the neck below the lock. There is a electronic valve in the neck that has a big hose that was connected to the air box. That is were one of the small filters goes. I pulled the valve out and laid it up under the tank between the filters to clean up the hoses by the neck. Im making a bracket that everything can mount to. coils and valves. The second little filter go on the crank case on the top of the rear cylinder but the instructions should have that information.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts