MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up my Garmin Zumo 550 gps which displays my speed. When I compare it to the speedo on the Raider, I find that the Raider's speedo is 3 to 5mph high. Is anyone else aware of this inaccuracy?

BTW, the Zumo is fantastic! I wired it into the accessory plug under the seat and it was a breeze.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Lots of people have asked this one. The GPS manufacturers generally quote 0.1 MPH accuracy on flat ground, at constant speed and direction for several seconds and with a good sat lock. So any increase or decrease in speed will cause the unit to be off more than the 0.1. The key to an accurate reading is constant speed for several seconds.

Yes, most bike speedos will read up to 10% high

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'll go with the accuracy of the raider's speedo over the gps. Personal gps is not going to be completely accurate due to the fact that government does not allow it to be. Then you have to add in for enviremental issues reception and so on.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I see the same difference on my Raider using my Garmin 550 also. I'm pretty sure the GPS is dead on as it correctly measures my Vstar speed that I had calibrated by radar. My wife noticed that I was riding slower than usual when she was following me on her bike. She just thought I was getting old and slow.

·
Registered
326 Posts
thats just it the raider just has the look of analog its really digital its all fly by wire as hey say

·
Registered
141 Posts
AO you are right I realized that after I made the post. No speedo cable. Which is a good thing cause my last bike cost me $59.00 for a new cable with only 4500 miles on it. :rant-rave:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts