MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hate that split! o_O
I came extremely close to picking it up, ONCE. I went for the 7 hoping to hit it hard enough to kick back across and get the 10. It did just that but didn't hit hard enough. Big wobble but the dang 7 hugged and rolled around the 10 keeping the dang thing up. That's the closest I've ever come to getting it. Usually it's just go for one or the other depending on how bad the oil is.

·
American Legion Rider
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been in tournaments where the oil got so bad that I'd pray I never left the 10 pin because there was no way I'd ever get it. 10 feet out and you'd swear the ball hit a wall it would turn left so quick. And that was trying my best to thrown with zero spin and just straight roll. In fact it was just such a lane where I darn near picked up the 7/10 split. I stood as far left as possible and tried to throw for the 10. It hooked just like I said and dove almost straight into the right side of that 7 pin and kicked back across. Normal lane with good oil and I'd be in the 10 pin gutter. Every week it would be a different house. You had to learn to read the lanes quickly and stay with the change. Tournaments are rough on you but they are also the only time I've come close to 300 too, at 299. Need you guess which pin?

·
American Legion Rider
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, the nasty old 10 pin. In all my years of bowling I never got that last pin. I even bowled a 290 once when my hands kept getting so sweaty that I dropped the ball right at the foul line and it immediately went into the gutter. Definitely not a pro bowler. There may have been some beer involved.

:blush:

·
American Legion Rider
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw a woman go head first into a face-plant when the ball she was using got stuck on her delivery. She didn't get hurt too bad but she was truly embarrassed. We all felt sorry for her. But not much we could do except help her back up which took 3 of us and needed more. Let's just say she wasn't petite by any stretch.

·
American Legion Rider
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I never got the 'run up to the lane and let the ball go' thing.
That just give the bowler a little extra speed on the ball. Some folks aren't strong enough to just up and throw a 16 pound ball down the lane.

I haven't bowled or even watched pro bowlers on TV in years but just happened to stumble onto a pro tournament a few weeks ago. I was shocked at what I saw pro bowlers doing. They, or rather some, are bowling with a 2 hand delivery. So it now looks like they aren't even strong enough to hold a 16 pound ball so have to use both hands. Snowflakes have made it to bowling it seems.

But then, if you just stood at the line and threw the ball, you might have done it with both hands too. It just looked odd as can be to me. I used to carry 4 of the darn things with me at every tournament I was in. I wonder if these new bowlers have someone else carry their bowling balls for them. Notice I made sure to specifically say bowling balls rather than just balls. But both might be in question.
:rofl2:

·
American Legion Rider
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2 hands is probably a much safer way to bowl. It is suspected that bowling is what ruined my wrist. But I was a cranker. Just normal bowling is probably okay but I do see value in 2 handed delivery. It sure looks odd though.

·
American Legion Rider
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah...but, no...but, yeah...but, no............pick a PoV and stick with it ffs.
I can't because it's the first time I ever saw it being done. So yep, it looks like something girls would do. But if it works, and apparently it does, then go for it. And like I said, that kind of delivery would have spared my wrist so from that point of view alone it looks like a wise move. But one tournament just isn't enough for me to say just yet. Ill stand by the fact that it sure looks odd though. That I won't waiver from. It does.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.