MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

It's great to see a Yamaha Raider forum and Raider-dedicated site (raiderperformance.com). I have just ridden my Raider from Singapore to Phuket, Thailand. What a great bike. I owned a Warrior before the Raider and never thought I Would find anything as good. But Yamaha have done it again!

I hope this forum grows to be as big and popular as rswarrior.com.

Check out http://www.ride-asia.com. 'Motorcycle Photo Tours: Singapore-to-Phuket & Chumphon Bike Week 2008' to see Southeast Asia 'Raided'!

Cheers,

Scooter

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Southeast Asia 'Raided'

vintagecar1957 said:
Singapore to where? How do you pronounce that?
Pooket (silent 'h') Phuket, Thailand.

·
Registered
157 Posts

Cool looking ride! Noticed you got the fastest Raider. Good choice!

Later

Coyote

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

coyote said:

Later

Coyote
Cheers! It will be even faster when I paint it flat black next year...LOL

·
Registered
90 Posts

Looks like a great trip! I was stationed in Chiang Mai, Thailand 72-73, probably before many on here were born. Beautiful country and very friendly people.
Pete

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

coyote said:

Later

Coyote
Yes, riding anywhere in Thailand is generally good, but in the North it's the best. As you say friendly people, great roads and scenery. I'm looking at another road trip up there in July.

Cheers!

Scooter

·
Registered
93 Posts

How about arrainging a tour up highway one in Vietnam. Perhaps from Saigon (Ho Chi Min City) all the way to Hanoi. That would be a big draw for all the vets with bikes and Nam experience. Bicycles and three wheeled Lambretta's ruled the day back then.

·
Registered
267 Posts

scooter said:
Hey Guys,

I have just ridden my Raider from Singapore to Phuket, Thailand.
Holly crap. That's a long ride for me. I especially like to go to (PHUK-ET). It sound like my kind of place.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Like any marathon just stop where you want and let the van bring you back from where you started. I'm sure this can be arraigned. The Vietnamese have always had an entrepreneurial spirit. "Hey G.I. you buy Seico".

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

john said:
How about arrainging a tour up highway one in Vietnam. Perhaps from Saigon (Ho Chi Min City) all the way to Hanoi. That would be a big draw for all the vets with bikes and Nam experience. Bicycles and three wheeled Lambretta's ruled the day back then.
That sounds like a plan...a bunch of Biker mates did Cambodia last year, and China the year before that. So why not Vietnam! I have a long break from work in Nov/Dec, now's the time to start planning. Vietnam 'Raided'!

·
Registered
93 Posts

Hey Scooter,

Who do you know that could organize that? I heard a few years back about vets doing a bicycle tour of the country. I guess going from Saigon to Hanoi would be a pretty grueling trip, maybe just halfway on a motorcycle would be more appealing. I'm definitely interested in that and would like to find out more. I do know of several military publications that the info could be printed in. It also should be open to everyone, not just vets.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

john said:
Hey Scooter,

Who do you know that could organize that? I heard a few years back about vets doing a bicycle tour of the country. I guess going from Saigon to Hanoi would be a pretty grueling trip, maybe just halfway on a motorcycle would be more appealing. I'm definitely interested in that and would like to find out more. I do know of several military publications that the info could be printed in. It also should be open to everyone, not just vets.
Hi John,

I will make some enquiries and get back to you in the next few days. Also, I will post a notice on my website (http://www.ride-world.com). Initially I will be looking at a Singapore-based club: 'Team 27'. They have a lot of contacts in Asia and are able to get visa/permits.

Cheers,

Scooter

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

john said:
Hey Scooter,

Hey, John...I'm in contact with Voyage Vietnam (Vietnam) and Team 27 (Singapore) to see if they can help with visas/permits...you planted a seed now and I want to do this trip...

If anyone is seriously interested let me know either with a Post Reply or PM...

Cheers,

Scooter

·
Registered
93 Posts
I meant to say, let me know when you hear anymore info. Also would the host country be able to supply motorcycles or would we be shipping our bikes from the states? Ouch, that would be costly. Vietnam still being a communist country would be watchful of where the trip would be going. Don't know how interfearing they would be.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
john said:
I meant to say, let me know when you hear anymore info. Also would the host country be able to supply motorcycles or would we be shipping our bikes from the states? Ouch, that would be costly. Vietnam still being a communist country would be watchful of where the trip would be going. Don't know how interfearing they would be.
Yes, shipping the bikes would be costly...Bikes can be rented in Thailand...and that's probably where we will start the ride. Although it would be nice for a bunch of Raiders to ride in Asia together!

Vietnam is now looking to the tourist dollar, so there should not be too much red tape to overcome. The border crossings are the biggest areas of concern, and that's what I'm looking at now.

I'll get back to you soon with an update.

Cheers,

Scooter

1 - 17 of 17 Posts