MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again folks!

Well, I went on a 150 mile ride today with some buds, and although I hate to admit it, I think it's time I get a windshield for those long rides.

Not too crazy about them personally, so a quick release is what I am thinking of getting so I can take it off in a breeze and still keep it semi clean looking without hardware all over the place.

The Yammi's OEM shields are ridiculous in price, then again, aren't all parts nowadays? I came across the National Cycle Switchblade, and wondered if anyone here has one and what they think of them? Will the shorter style as shown below work (I'm 6' 3"), or should I go with a taller one?

I will only be using it during long rides, I just deal with the head slapping and various quantities of bug dessert surprise for every day riding.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
2 up

i have the switchblade 2-up from national, i really hate it. the quick detachabilty is nice, but the mounts they sell you for it don't fit properly. they slide around and the windshield will actual slip down the trees while riding down the road! you can't get them tight enough to stay put and the mounts twist as you try to remove the windshield. :cus:

·
Registered
840 Posts
Ref the bikes in your photos, I think you may be happier with the shield on the blue bike. I have the Yamaha Star shield much like the red bike photo...while it's the kind I like, from what you wrote, you may not like the wind that is still able to blow in your face. Those lower ones pretty much deflect a lot of wind from your chest, not face.

I'm 6'02".

Don

Now looking at it, I don't think the shield on the red bike is as low as mine so it just may work for you...though it looks just like the one on my XS1100 Special which again, allows wind on my face. Sorry, first cup of coffee, guess I'm not being too helpful or clear.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. I read online somewhere about the national not grabbing the forks well and they solved it by cutting some rubber inner tube from an old bicycle tire and that fixed the sliding problem.

As far as the wind in the face/chest area, thanks for the comments. I don't mind the wind in my face, it's just that to get to the good riding grounds, we travel about 40 miles on the freeway to get there, and at 80-90mph, the neck gets a little sore from all the wind. Yeah I know the easy way is to slow down, but what fun would that be? We wanna get where we are going, and then slow down and enjoy the actual ride. I just figured a shield would help that out.

I guess it may be time to convince the wife to let me spend some money on the Yamaha version. Now to get her to say yes... hmm, I am thinking round, sparkly, and carat formed. Yep, that oughta convince her! lol.

Thanks again folks! Ride Safe!

·
Registered
224 Posts
We have the 14" Yami shield. I'm 6'2" and I feel that I could have gone with the taller one for me, but he wife rides this bike mostly and at 5'6" it is perfect for her. She just looks over the top of the shield.

I agree about the prices, that is why we don't have a backrest!

I don't have a problem with having a shield, I have one on all the bikes. Too old to fight the wind for long periods. It happens.

·
Registered
384 Posts
My two cents is if you think you need a windshield buy a fairing , If you do buy a windshield get one to look thru not over, isnt that the idea full protection......I know......I know you want to take it off so it looks like a cruiser that it is, but you behind a bagger looking bike is gonna be a big compromise. Check out Wide Open custom hope itll help Im in the same Boat, why buy a windshield when what you really want is full protection for you in all types of weather

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm 5'9" and I paid the price and got the Yamaha 14" quick release. I keep it on the bike all the time and I can look over it. A windsheild that you have to look through can be a problem when you have to look through bugs or rain. Also the sun can do wierd things through a windsheild that can reduce your vision. I also wear a full face helmet. Best combo for long rides which I do several times a season.

·
Registered
158 Posts
National Looks Good

I was thinking of getting the one on the blue bike, they say the poly carbonate if far better than the acrylic, I recently saw a video comparing the two, and the National wins out by far. Just not so sure of those mounts. Has everyone had to use the rubber spacer trick?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've got the National Cycle Switch Blade Deflector. It has adjustable tilt and I've had no problems with the mounts in the 2 years I've had it on the bike. It's some what minimal but does a good job of kicking the wind over you.

·
Registered
690 Posts
rme,
I have a Memphis Shades Classic Deuce on mine. It mounts to the handlebars, not the forks and I can adjust it from laying down to match the angle of the forks to almost completely vertical for max protection from the elements. I usually keep it somewhere in the middle as shown in the one picture in my album. At that position with me being 6' tall, I can see just over the top but it does a great job of pushing the air up & over me & my wife so neither of us gets any helmet buffeting to well over triple digits! If you want better pics, PM me. The price is about 1/2 of the Yammi one too. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
rme,
like you i only wanted a screen for long trips, i've got the memphis shades pop top which fixes to the forks and it does a great job, i'm 5 foot 10 and it keeps the wind off my chest and i can still see over the top, shouldn't look thro a screen cos when it's raining (i do live in the uk!) you can't see anything. you can adjust the rake and height easily and it's on and off in a couple of seconds flat. only drawback is it isn't lockable. hope this helps

·
Registered
139 Posts
I second the comments on the Pop-top by Memphis shades. I have had it on my bike for well over a year now. It comes off and on in seconds. I only take it off when i clean my bike. My opinion is that it also looks better without so much hardware visible like the pics of the National.

Just my opinion, but i think that's what you asked for.

By the way, I ride mine 12 months a year.

·
Registered
617 Posts
rme, if you think you may want the Pop-Top try to find 1 to try 1st because I'm 6'1" and it really doesn't work for me at all! I like everything about it except for it's not tall enough for me. I don't use it at all. My wife & I both hate it!

If your shorter than 6' it may work fine IMHO. I feel like 2 or 3 more inches and it would be great.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These are some great reviews and comments. I appreciate them all. Thanks everyone!

The decision process is much more difficult then I thought it was going to be. It's an expensive purchase to just go out and "try" as I could only imagine how expensive that would be for all of them.

I am guessing my best bet is going to be look for some local raider riders who have them and see if I can get an up close and personal look at them to make my decision.

My conclusion is that all of these brands seem to be hit or miss with everyone. Some love em, others hate em, and still others are satisfied, but not completely.

Who woulda thought that a 15" piece of plastic could be that difficult to choose?

Thanks again folks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the Memphis shades speed demond, looks good and protection is decent. But at you hieght I would consider the Bigshot, a little taller..

·
Registered
760 Posts
nomadtrackman has a Yami W/S for a great price!

I'll pm you his number if you want. It's in great shape and has the quick release mounts too. He'll ship it to you very quickly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am 6'-4" and have the Memphis shades speed demon and it works great for me and I think it looks great. None of the smaller sport shields offer the same protection as the large windshields or the full fairings but the sport shields worked well enough for me to make it comfortable traveling down the highway at any speed. I don't have any problems with long rides anymore. The only draw back with the windshield is that you get alot of buffeting from underneath the windshield, around the gas tank. But that is going to be a problems with any of the smaller windshields.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just ordered the National Switchblade Chopped windshield for my Raider, I wanted something very easy to remove and this looked like it doesn't get any easier. I might have jumped the gun on this as I didn't do much research prior to ordering. Doesn't look like there is any angle adjustment at all like there is with the Memphis shields, I wonder if it flows with the fork lines. Anyone using this setup?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have the NS Chopped for long rides and love it. Looks great, nice protection and LITTLE BAFFLING. I have had no issues with the mounts and I think they look better them the Memphis shades. Before I got the Switchblade I had the MS Pop Top and the baffling was terrible. It was easier to ride with out it.

For every day riding I have the Yamaha Boulevard. I never take it off (except to put on the MS for long rides). It looks great on the bike, keeps the bugs off your shirt and the wind off your chest at high speeds.

Check out my pictures of both

When it comes to windshields it is really dependent to the individual rider. To each their own.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ref the bikes in your photos, I think you may be happier with the shield on the blue bike. I have the Yamaha Star shield much like the red bike photo...while it's the kind I like, from what you wrote, you may not like the wind that is still able to blow in your face. Those lower ones pretty much deflect a lot of wind from your chest, not face.

I'm 6'02".

Don

Now looking at it, I don't think the shield on the red bike is as low as mine so it just may work for you...though it looks just like the one on my XS1100 Special which again, allows wind on my face. Sorry, first cup of coffee, guess I'm not being too helpful or clear.

Hey DJ is that the Yami quick release sissy bar?? I like the look of it on the bike but didn't want it on all the time. I was considering the cobra standard as I like the look of that too but, then I'd have to leave it on all the time. I'm getting a sissy bat cause I talked my wife into riding with me as last year she was to scared to.

Oh and to the original poster I have the boulevard windshield from Yami it works great for taking the wind off me and I could cruise 80 with no problems. I believe it's the same as the on in the pic of DJ's bike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts