MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, while out riding I noticed some guys at the Harley dealer in Urbana, Illinois.
I thought I'd stop and invite them to our bike show.
When I pulled up I realized they were delivering a new Rocker C Black color to a guy.
This young kid was standing there with his harley grocery bag full of goodies and getting
the dime tour of his new bike.
As the salesman was making ready to leave for the day and they were outside this kid
kept asking questions. I thought, WOW! I know more about the Rocker than he does.
His salesman (who would have been mine had I bought one of these) was just pointing
and telling him things and not taking any time with him.
I thought boy my Yamaha dealer took an hour with me on the Raider then gave me
to his top mechanic to actually deliver the bike and explain in detail everything I needed to know.

I was amazed and thought that this kid could have had a V-8 ( A Raider).

Bottom line......Star mechanics and dealers seem to really care about your bike and you.
Can't say Harley doesn't but for the money difference they should have taken him to dinner!

Ken

·
Registered
826 Posts
Rocker is a good looking bike, I like them and if they would have been 14K I would probably have one but at 22k after tax and title I just couldn't do it. My buddy has the exact same bike that guy just bought black with red ghost flames looks sweet but it can not even hold the jock of a Raider when you twist your wrist.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well Ken your experience and mine is 180 degrees. I picked up my Raider and the ass. service mgr came out and told me the select switch on the left side was for the passing lights if I were to get them, then he tried telling me the air filter was on the left side of the engine. I corrected him on that and was not sure about the switch but low and behold he was wrong there too. Then I turned the key and the gas light was on.. I had to ask him to put some gas in it and he hemmed and hawed and finally put half a tank in it.. They know nothing of what they sell probably because they sell everything from a jet ski to snowmobiles.

I bought my wife a HD low rider last week and man I was impressed... They went over the whole bike for about an hour with her, answered all my concerns, she had a full gas tank, plus they gave her a $100 gift certificate with no strings attached. The whole the Servive Manager was going over the bike another guy was continuosly wiping it down and polishing it although it really did not need it. After the 2nd day I was concerned about her belt being too tight and went back.. Well the manager (not some kid) came out with a tensioner and tested it.. he said it was a hair too tight but to ride it for another 3-400miles so it will stretch a little. he went back in wrote up our concern and his reply and said any more problems let us know. Just great service so far.

Meanwhile a friend of mine is getting crap from my dealer because his year old Suzuki C90 chrome is falling off his back rest and luggage rack and they told him it was because he put on aftermarket pipes and the vibration is causing it...LOL What a friggin joke.

Bottom line is the HD dealer here has been A-1 and the 2 local Metric dealers have been shit!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well I musta been lucky cause CYCLE STOP in roch sells HD in one building and YAMI..KAWI..etc in the other. Both dept have been good to me and VERY PATIENT as i drove the HD guys nuts (Jim and another guy) over a custom streetbob, then the xbones...then finally the Raider. I have to say that the metric guys were just a tad bit more friendly...but all were very helpful. Plus the HD service manager (Laura )actually went to bat for me with the owner-manager...and got me a deal for 12 grand on my sexy black raider. grrrrrrrrr. The price on everything else in both dealerships is typically higher than online, but these are dealerships so it's expected. What was really cool, was a 15% discount card they gave me in the metric store to use for a year...that will give me 15% offa any accessory...helmet...etc. (excluding another bike ;D)...I never got that at any other stealership.

'The road to Hell is paved...so ride it'

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm glad to hear that some of you have had some positive experiences.

I bought my Raider at Chicago Cycle here in Illinois www.chicagocycle.com. I couldn't have been less impressed with the purchase process. The whole process seemed really slimy with the sales person going back to the sales manager meanwhile their website touts “Nobody Sells for Less.” It’s heard to feel that way when their first offer is at retail and they seem to load an excess amount of “fees” beyond what I have seen at other dealers. Like one fee for the shops interest cost on the bike while it sat on the showroom floor. I still don’t know what that is all about. They never mentioned anything about rebates that Yamaha might have that were advertised on the website.

I bought it before the big rush for the season so I still felt like I probably got a reasonable price, but when I picked it up I would have liked to have received the more expensive “dime” tour of the bike. I’m not sure that I got the penny tour.

I really don’t think that it was the salesman’s fault. I think that the place has done a shoddy job establishing a sales and delivery process and that’s what they perpetuate.

If you live in the Chicago area, I’d suggest you visit this place last after you are sure what everyone else in town has to offer and only do so if you want to do a final price check for you piece of mind.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm still waiting for mine. I could have had the straight candy red or blue, but I held out for the candy red "S". I have money down and am supposed to get the last red "S" coming through this shop. I'm working through DuPage Honda/Yamaha in West Chicago. So far so good; hopefully that doesn't change. They are going to deliver it to my house sometime early May (something about driving it off the lot makes me nervous). Quantum, do you live up near Chicago Cycle? I'm out in the far western suburbs. Once I get my ride maybe we meet up and compare. If you like back country roads, we have lots of them out this way.

·
Registered
634 Posts
My Raider purchasing experience was a special one... but that's not fair to compare. My buddy who was on the football team with me back in high school is the head sales manager at the dealership his father owns in Indianapolis. Not only did I get a good price on my raider, I got the in-depth discussion/overview after store hours when I picked it up. To make things even better, I just found out 2 days ago that my buddy at the dealership just purchased his own red raider s! He said that after giving my raider the mandatory check-out ride after assembly, he decided he had to have one! So, I had a tremendous purchasing experience, but, like I mentioned...not really fair to compare, I have a slightly unique relationship with my dealership.
I did however look at Chicago Cycles before I purchased from my buddy, and for a company "priding" themselves on exceptionally low prices due to enormous volume, it sure was like pulling teeth to get them down to what was even a reasonably good deal on the bike, BEFORE considering the fact that I'd need to drive 3.5-4 hours with a trailer just to get it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I LIVE IN SOUTH FLORIDA. BOUGHT MY RAIDER IN A TOWN CALLED DAVIE. WHEN I GOT MY RAIDER ON 12-28-07 I HAD TO ORDER THE WINDSHIELD AND MOUNT AT THE DEALERS PARTS DEPARTMENT. THE COUNTER MAN DID NOT KNOW WHAT A RAIDER WAS EVEN THOUGH ONE WAS WITH IN SIGHT OF THE PARTS DEPARTMENT. THREE MONTHS LATER I GOT MY PARTS. WHEN I TOOK MY RAIDER IN FOR THE 600 MILE SERVICE I MADE AN APPOINTMENT FOR A FRIDAY LEFT THE BIKE ON THURSDAY AFTERNOON . WHEN I RETURNED ON FRIDAY EVENING THEY HAD NOT TOUCHED THE BIKE BECAUSE THEY GOT SLAMMED WITH WORK. I GUESS THAT THEY DID NOT CARE ABOUT ME AS A NEW CUSTOMER. I DID MY OWN SERVICE AND I AM SPREADING THE WORD ABOUT THE DEALERSHIP. I HAVE OVER 3,000 MILE ON THE BIKE AND I LOVE IT. I IS GREAT TO LIVE IN THE SOUTH FLORIDA AREA I CAN RIDE YEAR ROUND.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't mean to sound mean about the H-D experience. I know it's this dealership in particular. I just felt bad for the young lad who was getting his first bike.

I know the Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, ATV, generator, scooter, boat, ski, etc. dealer down the street where I bought my new M50 a couple years ago has not received my money for the last three new motorycles I've bought as I felt they were not as good a dealership to deal with.
I took my money and my mouth to two other dealers and have been singing their praises ever since.

I do hurt for Harley as they are laying off 800 or so folks and shutting down production someone said. I'm not sure on that.
Sales are not good for many dealerships and now is a good time to buy a Raider if you can find one. I know some are goosing the prices a bit but my dealer didn't.

Oh well, I just think that when you buy a new Rocker you should be treated like a $22,000.00 customer.
That's just two wheels boys so that Rocker is worth about $44,000.00 in CAR!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ken,

I heard that when the housing forclosures started so did harley forclosures. So harley not wanting their stock to drop put the foreclosed harleys into warehouses and are slowly selling them off to wholesalers at bargain prices. They did not want to have their own dealers discounting these harleys because that would hurt their new bike sales. This is just what I heard.

Raven

·
Registered
4 Posts
WoW I feel a bit robbed or a complement either one I am still happy.
I was told here are the keys and you know where everything is.. Enjoy buddy.

·
Registered
826 Posts
My dealer tried to show me some stuff, but I was like ya ya I know about bikes just give me the keys I gotta ride her. He laughed at me and said I know the feeling have fun and ride safe. Let me know if you need anything at all. They have been pretty good to me I can't complain.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Raven,

I hadn't heard that one.

I was told a couple years back when I purchased a bike from the local Yam shop down the street from the H-D shop that they knew exactly how many bikes they sold from the H-D shop. I guess a dealer has access to title or licensing info, not sure.

I hope the best for Harley, really I do. I saw that Rocker again today. Bought by a young guy.
It has that flip out seat on this one. I read where you might want to ride on that flip out for a driveway's length.
Most women are pretty good to their guys and will ride on about anything for a while but when they ride in style on a Goldwing or a Vulcan Nomad or even a Harley bagger with nice seats they won't want that chopper seat. It isn't a brand issue there, it's a butt issue.

Keep it real,
Ken

Raven said:
Ken,

I heard that when the housing forclosures started so did harley forclosures. So harley not wanting their stock to drop put the foreclosed harleys into warehouses and are slowly selling them off to wholesalers at bargain prices. They did not want to have their own dealers discounting these harleys because that would hurt their new bike sales. This is just what I heard.

Raven

1 - 13 of 13 Posts