MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys,
I got a chance to ride the Rocker C yesterday and all I can say is that it and the Raider are completely diffrent animals.
The Rockers fit and finish is top notch but HD has been much better than others in this category for the last several years. I was very impressed with the overall look and the paint was very nice. The factory exhaust is much better than the Raider but I would still have to change it out, I really like the combined stop and turn signals, but why the hell would you put a big license plate holder on the back fender after you get rid of the traditional brake light? The other thing that I noticed was the metal emblem on the tank and the turn signals on the handlebars it looked really good. The seat while being very imaginative was not all that comfortable, and getting anyone to ride on that get lucky pad for more than say 15 minutes will take an act of congress. I just looked at it and said there is no way I would ride on that. So I put the ol lady on it (LOL) we rode for about 10 miles and she said she wanted off. Now I reealize this is not a tourer but in my opinion the passenger seat is pretty much a joke. The bike handled awesome similar to the Raider, I was impressed with that portion, but when I twisted the wrist and opened my wallet I would know why I bought a Raider. Let me just say that this thing is a DOG compared to the Raider. My buddy was riding my bike and I went WOT when I was about 2 to 3 bike lengths in front of him and he went flying past me like I was in quicksand.
Don't get me wrong it is a nice bike but for diffrent reasons and I can't see spending $22K for a Rocker that my ol lady would refuse to ride on and is under powered by a bunch when I can get a Raider for $14K have a better starting point and be able to drop $6K into if I want, have a much better bike and still not have paid as much as a Rocker.

This is where my buddy says you aren't just buying a motorcycle you are buying an experience.....an image! And I returned yeah an image of a Raider passing you like you are not even there!! I was just messing with him but I do not understand the MOCO and their ridiculous prices. I really looked at HD hard b4 getting the Raider but I get so much more bike for the money with the metrics. Maybe I am just cheap, they do have some really nice bikes. The Rocker being one of them, and there resale is amazing. I guess they must be doing something right!

If you get a chance it is worth a ride, My HD Dealer is having a test ride day and they say the will have a Rocker for that event, it was at the end of May. So you may check with your dealer if you are curious as I was to ride one.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hey eian 31
I also bought a Raider recently and love it. I actually was at my(see how they hook you)Harley dealer with my trade(a Harley), in the back of my truck, when I decided that I truly wanted the Raider. I drove 40 miles back home and bought the Raider. I am not a Harley basher as I love their bikes and have driven many models, but you do not get as much bike for your money when you buy a Harley. The Rocker C was $20,500. I paid $13,300 For the Raider S model. The passenger seat, pillon or whatever you call it is a joke on the Rocker. Enjoy your Raider. Ride safe.
55Mike

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i am not a Harley basher either, they have some very nice stuff. I am just to poor or cheap.....you pick! to afford one. I look at it like this, if it is nice I like it, doesn't matter if it is a home built bobber, a HD, a Big Dog chopper, Raider, VTX, etc,etc.
If they are nice I like them, I have never been one to dog on other brands and be an a$$ just because they do not ride what I do. (there are plenty of people out there that can not say the same thing) I subscribe to the "it's your bike ride what you like" theory and don't worry about what other people think, if you are happy with it........then does it really matter.

The figures I used for price was after tax I pd $14,100 after tax for my Raider and he pd $21,900 after tax for his Rocker C, just wanted to clarify that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also have a Raider and road the HD Rocker, I'm not bashing Harley's but it is going to be hard to beat the Raider for convert and control and power. After getting the stock exhaust off my Raider and letting the engine breath and the performance module makes all kinds of power.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I did more or less the same thing, except that I've never owned a Harley.
I had already seen and driven the Raider so I went to the Harley dealer to see what they had.
And let me tell, you do that "what the heck is that" look when you ride in a non-harley bike.

I looked at the Rocker and immediately decided that I could not pay my wife enough to ride with me.
Also looked at their softail custom and their street glide.

Then I went and bought the Raider.
There's just no comparison.
If they would at least make you feel comfortable when you walk in the door instead of giving you the evil eye.
That would be a good start.

GC

·
Registered
42 Posts
Got a first year VTX in 01, liked the HD Dyna's couldn't justify the price difference, the fit & finish & value for the $$ And the image/lifestyle nonsense just doesn't cut it. Seems to me that went out with child stuff like the Barbie & Ken toys. Motorcycling is for grown ups, isn't it??? It would be a cold day in [email protected]!! when I got caught in Yamah or Honda underwear, but some of those other folks think thats neat I guess????

06 wanted something more for touring, liked the BMW's and looked at HD again, but eventually wound up with a Goldwing. Again value for $$$, ride, comfort and features were big considerations.

Now 2 years later kinda missed something for solo tooling around town and again checked out HD, but is it just me or is Mad Maxx on their design team? Flat black finishes, seats by Marquis DeSadd and technology challenged still!!

Still got the Wing, but it now has a new companion and know what's funny, I've still got less invested in both of these bikes than most of my friends driving HD's. Go figure.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Went out riding today with a bunch of people from work to a benefit south of where I live - about a good hour ride. One of the fellows at work has a new Rocker - literally picked it up yesterday. I told him I liked the looks and then asked him (now playing the dummy role) what the big rear tire was for...

"Traction... this bike is sweet machine"

Cool. So we were on our way and a few times he got on it - not like I needed much to whip by him, a light twist of the throttle and the wind I was pulling with me nearly tore his paint off, lol. So when we got to a stop I asked him again what the rear tire was for...

"Yeah yeah... it's still not a Harley tho".

I simply agreed with him and acknowledged the fact that my bike won't eventually need to be torn apart to fix.

Another thing that astonishes me... quite a few of the guys riding today had Harleys... before we went riding a few of them busted out some extra tools to tighten up bolts here and there...

My friend on his M109 and myself just look at each other... shrug our shoulders then ask everyone what's taking so long... while we're sitting on our bikes waiting to leave, lol.

Not bashing the bike... anything on 2 wheels is fine by me... but some of these guys were knocking my Raider and my buddies M109. Needless to say at the end of the ride... they kept their mouths shut.

·
Registered
326 Posts
yeah and they always resort to the resale value, whic is true they do hold their value but have you ever tried to sell one. my buddy had one for sale for nealer 3 year, and hes still got it

·
Registered
220 Posts
ao said:
yeah and they always resort to the resale value, whic is true they do hold their value but have you ever tried to sell one. my buddy had one for sale for nealer 3 year, and hes still got it
That is troo. If I have the option to buy a brand new bike for 20k vs a bike with 10k miles on it for 19k... I'll go with the new bike.

This is why, like your friend, my neighbor's been trying to sell his for about 2 years now. Not that I'd spend 20k on a bike (if i won millions, why not) - but it amazes me how people fall for that sort of thing, lol.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The Harley resale value is becoming an urban myth. They(the Harley dealer) told me the market was flooded right now
and the $2000.00 worth of accessories I had on it were, so I got to ride the bike the way I wanted it, while I owned it, not so I could ever get anything in resale value. Also, prices vary all over the country, as do deals struck with dealers so any numbers I gave previously are actual but not necessarily relative to all parts of the country or dealers.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I would gladly take one if it was given to me :icon_wink: But since I don't see that happening soon I guess I will have to stick with my lowly Raider! I agree whit everything that you all have said about the myth that is HD, I still like the looks of many of their bikes, others are just plain ugly. Then again I guess that can be said about most manufacturers they have to have a product for everyone. IMHO the sportster is one of the nastiest looking bikes I have ever seen and no more american than my Raider. I would not even consider a sporty and they are damn near as much as a Raider. The resale around here seems to be very good, but now that you guys have mentioned it I have noticed a few bikes that have been for sale forever and a day. I guess in the end they are only worth what someone is willing to pay. Don't get me wrong I would gladly own a Rocker C but not at $22k if it would have been $15 I may have went that way instead. Not after riding then both though, I believe that I prolly bought the best bike out there for the price right now. I have only had the raider for 300 miles but I can't stay off it and smile everytime I get to blow by my buddy with the Rocker..............He doesn't say anything but I know it pisses him off to holy hell. i have already heard it from several Harley owners that its not an American bike and I should be ashamed yada yada yada. Its all BS and why they can not accept a nice bike as a nice bike unless it has a HD logo is beyond me. I have owned 2 Harleys and I loved them but when it comes to features and comfort and handling the Raider takes them on all accounts, just my $.02 means nothing these days.......just ask my ol lady!

·
Registered
326 Posts
yeah that american made is crap too, im not sure but i dont think their carbs are american, and you cant tell me that the relays and the comps on there fuel injected bikes and probably the injecters them selfes ae american. dont get me wrong i love american made stuff just as much as the next guy but there are certin things that the east does better.

·
Registered
220 Posts
ao said:
yeah that american made is crap too, im not sure but i dont think their carbs are american, and you cant tell me that the relays and the comps on there fuel injected bikes and probably the injecters them selfes ae american. dont get me wrong i love american made stuff just as much as the next guy but there are certin things that the east does better.
Ever since Honda stepped in to show Harley how to build a motor that won't leak oil... I've called them Honda-Davidson's. (not a knock at Honda... just kinda towards the Harley, lol).

Whenever someone on a V-Rod tells you that you're not on a Harley... remind him that he's actually on a Porsche. A metric bike with the HD logo stamped on it. Nothing American about it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Harley Davidson is an icon of American motorcycles no doubt. Thier fit and finish is exceptional, but they are under-powered and way too expensive. Buy American is a sales pitch. Most bikes have all sorts of parts that come from other countries. Harley puts out a model and then lets the buyer figure out whats wrong with it. Competition will be the only way to keep things real. When you live in the land of the dollar bill you've got to figure how to get the most bang for the buck. The Raider has it all over the Rocker!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've had my raider for about 6 weeks now, been getting a ride in here and there when the weather permits. I've riden an owned a few different makes and models. I finally got one of those "new bike huh, well it's not a Harley" lines today. After a little friendly discussion about price, performance and what not. I offered a little quarter mile fun. Hoping a couple bucks might tempt him :angel:. Oh well, he wasn't interested in trying to take down the beast. Now the funny part of this is a few minutes after I walked away, I overheard the next part of the conversation. It had something to do with the bike not running right and how much money was spent at the dealership for scheduled services and maintenance. no real point, just thought it was funny

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like a bunch of money in chrome went into that ride. Looks nice, but way to much cash for me!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
SS1
Funny you should show that bike. I live near Bloomington, Minnesota and have seen that bike many times, in the classifieds. It is a very nice bike and I like v-rods but if you are buying a used harley you have a whole lot of choices.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If they're that good of a motorcycle, why are they trying to get rid of them????
Hmmm.... maybe they're tired of their Hardly Daisies and want a real bike. :laugh:

GC

1 - 20 of 30 Posts