MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the dealers the other day (still don't have my bike). A fellow who came in looking for a bike for his wife and he mentioned that he traded in his Harley for a Raider. In conversation he said that the bike handles as well as it looks but you've got to respect it's power because it can get away from you. Can anyone tell this future owner what if any cautionary things I should be careful of when I do get THE bike. Thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
Watch out for the idiots on the road. The rest is in the Raider and how much you love it. Raider is like your wife, if you love it enough it won't run away from you.

·
Registered
273 Posts
DO NOT DROVE IT DRIVE IT AFTER HAVING A STROKE. This is a sick joke at my own expense. On Easter Sunday I had a TIA(mini stroke). I did not take this seriously enough. Several episodes later, including driving my Raider into the back of a stopped truck and trailer(no memory of this) I realized how seriously ill I was. I am doing fine now and was just cleared to drive again on Friday. They had talked about a 6 month ban on driving. they have me on meds(which I do not like, but I did not like being sick either). I am waiting on my Raider at this time.
As far as the bike goes, it does handle like a dream. It is my favorite bike that I have ever driven and I like all bikes( yes Harleys too). The only serious thing I will say here for you is KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS and respect them. I did not accept nor respect mine and I could have been killed. They do not have to be as serious as a stroke. I know people who have got hurt on rides trying to "keep up" with veteran riders. If you go into a turn too slow you can always give it some more throttle. If you go into a turn too fast you limit your options. Ride safe and enjoy. This is a great forum.
Mike

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
john

I think maybe the comment you heard is giving you a slightly wrong impression. The Raider is a powerful bike - no question. But it actually handles very well, and it can be ridden quite comfortably at low speeds (low gear). There are no problems executing low speed turns on this bike, or riding it at low speeds. It doesn't suddenly take off like a rocket - unless you deliberately twist the throttle open. It's controllable at low speeds. Yamaha has done a very good job with the design of this bike.

I would suggest that when you take delivery of your new Raider, don't ride it straight out into traffic. Find a quiet street or parking lot and check it out there. Some place where you can focus on the bike, without any distractions. Give yourself a little time to get to know the bike, and I'm sure you'll be very pleased with the results.

distantThunder, LA

·
Registered
499 Posts
How fast you go is directly proportional to the twist of the right hand.

Yes... the Raider is fast and has a mountain of torque.

Understanding your limits is just as important as understanding the Raiders.

Take it slow and easy... that way both you and your bike will remain intact.. ;D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Mr. T said:
How fast you go is directly proportional to the twist of the right hand.

Yes... the Raider is fast and has a mountain of torque.

Understanding your limits is just as important as understanding the Raiders.

Take it slow and easy... that way both you and your bike will remain intact.. ;D
Well said, you got to understand the bike and your limits, then you will have a great experience and be able to do it all again the next day. :wave:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Watch shifting from first to second while cornering. Make sure you are not gunning the bike while cornering and shifting into second.
This is where I have noticed it wanting to spin the tire and wiggle out from under you.

I owned the Roadliner which had the same engine but never had this problem.

Great bike, plenty of power, far more than most stock I'm sure.

Enjoy!!!

Ken

·
Registered
93 Posts
Like NomadKen advises, take care in cornering acceleration. The Raider has that smaller sprocket pulley on the back, as compared to the Roadliner. To me the Raider has predictable, smooth power.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It has plenty of power...but nothing to be afraid of if you ride smart. its not a Bullet bike, the power could give you the feel that it is. like said above. Ride to your experience level and get used to the feel of the bike. I'd also recommend taking a sfety course if you haven't.

You'll love the bike ;D

·
Registered
157 Posts
Be careful about the old rolling rev, rev dump thing! The bike has a tendency to go LEFT then RIGHT!
As a friend of mine says, "The day you quit respecting the motorcycle is the day it will try to kill you".
Good advice for anyone.

Later

Coyote

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys... I forgot to mention that my wife was with me that day and that's all she needed to hear. I really appreciate the input and I'll have my wife read the comments as well. I hope your doing okay 55Mike after your stroke and will be back soon. You all said what should be done, and that's ride at your skill level and take it safe and easy. This is a great forum because of the people in it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I guess in summary it'd be safe to say that this bike has what it takes for any kind of rider.
It can handle the slow and easy letting you enjoy the view, the ride. But it can also take off like a rocket to satisfy anyones adrenaline's addiction.

This is quite a bike and also quite a bunch of fellows here.

GC

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've spun the rear tire in first, second and third gear. Second was a surprise because she wanted to go a little kittywampus (sideways). Third was manageable/minimal.

The torque takes a little getting used to. Be patient. Be cautious. Experiment a little so you know what it feels like. It really feels good and if you're running with (against) someone you should know what it feels like before you hammer the throttle. It's all good and it is totally manageable - unlike some 'hotrods' out there.

From my experience, the GSXR will bring the front end off the ground at 60+. For me, that's uncomfortable. Some people have more experience with this and it's within their comfort zone. I'm really comfortable with the Raider!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't been on a bike in 15+ years when I got mine last October. I was a little nervous, but I just rode around in the parking lot at the dealer to get use to 1st and slow turns and off I went. It only took me a few miles before I felt it all come back to me. No hidden suprises in this bike. Very impressed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts