MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this doesn't really have relavance to anything here but it made me proud of my bike lol. .yesterday me a some buddys got together there was 6 of us ridn an me an another guy was the only cruisers i was on my raider an the other cruiser was a chopper with a 113 screamin eagle pushin 10lb boost on a garret so der was no way 2 out run him an i thought i was the slowest there. .another guy had jus bought a new r6 yamaha he kept talkin crap so i said lets line them up we raced an i jumped about 1 1/2 bike length on him off the line with it fishtailing all ova the road at 130 he pulled back up beside me jus because every time i grabbed a gear he was still pullin at lik 15 an 16 grand an he would pull about a foot or two on me. .then i got my feelings hurt cause the other two guy on a 954 an a 1000RR com by us balanced out on a wheelie at about 140mph haha. .i jus wanted 2 say that cause it made me proud of the raider

·
Registered
231 Posts
...ya let me know when you and your friends come to SW oklahoma so i can just stay in the house.... road rash feels lovely :eek:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
me an the guy on the chopper usually the ones that jus cruise in the back about 65-75 an watch all the rocket guys do stuff lol. .dats the hardest mine has been rode so far

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've got on mine a few times - still can't beat my buddie's M109.

Perhaps the guy in the R6 doesn't know how to drive?

The R6 - only weighs 550 WITH a 200lb rider - moves 11.2 seconds in the quarter and is pushing 108hp.

We only move at 12.1 in the quarter - provided we're perfect.

Don't get your hopes up too much. It was a fluke.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Had some times like that to with those 600's. The guys i ride with like to show off, but they still can't believe that the 1900 can stay with them. 1900, 600 just a little diffence in size.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive learned this well from drag racing theres alot of difference in e/t at the track an racing heads up on the street wen it comes to street racing you mite as well through a time slip out the window. .ive rode about every type of rocket you can name short of mv's an aprilla an any 600 hundred ive rode isnt dat fast compared to the 1900

·
Registered
157 Posts
wstewart58, just curious. What Raider you got? The black one has a lot less weight (fancy paint and chrome) so it is faster. ;D

Later

Coyote

·
Registered
292 Posts
That must be my problem, too. I guess I should ditch the rear seat, replace the exhaust system with the lightest unit I can find, re-program the ECU and lose a few pounds myself. Then I'll be what - 1/10 second faster in the 1/4 mile?

I've been riding an 1100 Shadow Spirit (I love this bike and hope I never have to part with it) for the past year and the Raider is way faster and almost as comfortable in the corners. I've worn the stock rear tire on the Raider from edge to edge and scraped the nipples on the footpegs constantly - grrr! I like leaning into the corners way too much. 17,500 miles on the Shadow since last July and I've scraped the footpegs and even the part of the frame where the side stand connects. Granted, neither bike is a crotch rocket - so what. Crotch rockets are crap in the dirt. Dirt bikes aren't that great on the street.

I ride with the Washington State VTXOA and have a web site of my own for the South Sound riders (all different bikes). The Yamaha V-Max, Honda Magna 65 and a lot of other bikes will keep up with the Raider all day long. In fact, we have about 5-6 750 Magnas in my group that just plain haul a$$ and love it.

One of my VTX buddies also rides a Ninja from time to time and it's fast alright, but not good for the long haul. A lot of the VTX guys warned me against the 'air-cooled, belt-drive Yami'. Well, guess what? Now a lot of them are re-thinking. One has traded his 1800 for a BMW. Another has just purchased a Suzuki 650 on/off road bike for his 50-mile daily commute. A couple others are really looking at the Raider. Hey - it's not the perfect bike, but it's perfect for me (my wife's words).

There just isn't one single bike that covers all the possibilities. I've owned and ridden everything I could get my hands on since 1975 and the only thing I can compare the Raider to (performance-wise) is the 1976 105 HP Kawasaki 1000 turbo. Our bike handles better and looks better than any of the 1300 or 1800 VTXs. Some people like the look of the M109 and, sure it's 1/10 secomd faster (stock) than our bike in the 1/4 mile. All things considered, I think Yamaha/Star should be congratulated on getting this one right. It's a 'cruiser' by modern day catagory & philosophy, but if this bike had been around in the 70's, 80's, or 90's it would still be one of the best all around bikes ever conceived - let alone actually gone to production.

Personally, I would not pit this powerplant with it's big bore and stroke against a machine that has multiple cylinders and can redline at 15-16,000 rpm.

For me, it just feels good and I don't have any problem keeping up with anyone. I can sit in the stock saddle all day long and cover 500 miles in a day comfortably (and look good doing it). I have yet to stop, park & go into any place - the drug store, hardware store, or local pub that people don't come and look and admire the bike. I've had a dozen conversations with riders and non-riders in the month that I've owned this wonderful machine. The other day there wre 5 people all standing around looking and pointing and it felt really good.

In my heart I know that I've made the right choice. I don't care what any of the VTX guys, riders, non-riders, Harley guys or crotch rocket riders think. This is the bike for me and I'm damn proud to own and ride this machine.

That said - I still like jumping on a crotch rocket from time to time. It's just FUN!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I totally agree about the bike's comfort. I was led to believe it would be draining on longer rides, but it surprisingly isn't! (i'm 5' 6") I was led to believe the wider rake angle would be harder to handle, it surprisingly isn't! I knew Yamaha was successfull with their air cooled bikes, and I never cared for the look of a radiator. So that's a win win for me. I ride for hours here in the muggy, hot Florida weather, creeping through slow traffic at times, and no problems, though my right inner thigh gets that heat radiating off of the right side cover. It goes away as soon as I get to cruising. This bike has so much to offer! Now concerning the crotch rocketeers. I have not personally tried to out race them with this machine, but i have no problem staying close in their rear view mirror. I just let them know the Tommy Blue is keeping right up with them. I love toying with some of the Harley riders too. The ones who pass by and lay on their throttle with the loud pipes, the guys who won't acknowledge you with even a nod, but make sure you know they are there. I do respect all brands of motorcycles, it's the wonderful experience of two wheels in the wind. I like riding with other bikes on the road, you know, stop at a light and leave room for a side by side "how do you do" or "nice looking bike". Or I'll just keep up behind them in a staggered position, to feel the rumble of another machine and some comraderie. It really sucks that I don't ride many times with other enthusiasts. My old riding buddies have weekends off, my career I began quite a few years ago doen't afford me weekends off. So I ride with my wife aboard, on my week days that I do have off. As far as our Raider goes, we are very satisfied with our purchase.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I agree, the Raider is fantastic but lets not BS ourselves. A crotch rocket will leave us in the dust which is fine by me. If you are in a crotch rockets rear view it's only because he is allowing it. I saw a M109r with a 2-1 and all the bells and whistles get blown away by a CBR600 last night at a bike rally.. He may as well have been in a pinto it was not even close..LOL

Also 90% of the guys I ride with have HD's, whatever my bike does not define me and neither should anybody else's. If it does well then thats just sad.

·
Registered
93 Posts
aw shucks, can't a guy pretend...I know they could smoke me, I just have an easier time keeping up with them because of traffic slowing em down

·
Registered
671 Posts
OK here it goes, i love these posts, this is for all the.....how can i put this so not to offend anyone...well never mind ill just get to the point, one of the few things that a man has in this world, that is worth something is his word. OK that being said a race is a contest of speed ,struggle for victory or superiority,if you have ever watched a race or read abt a race,from some of the comments above, it doesn't seem that some have been in very many of them any how,look at the records of John Force,hes been beat by nobodies,this my friends is called an upset, this happens when you defeat or overthrow an opponent that is considered more formidable, ever hear of thee rabbit and the tortoise, its a true story....if the time is right and luck is on your side you can beat a Busa with A Moped, racing and winning could be as easy as figuring it out on paper,not run the race,just fill in the blanks certain size bike at certain weight with certain size sprocket and so on,or if you Could take out all the human error and "Murphy's law",what fun would life be if that was the case. just when you think something wouldn't or couldnt happen it just might if your living life instead of going with the flow and letting others tell you things cant be done, prove them wrong, it might take a few tries but you just might succeed,how about it ROBBIE KNIEVEL, SO YOU MIGHT HAVE TO BREAK A LEG OR TWO TRYING :beer2:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Running the bike hard for a few seconds is just plain fun - it doesn't matter what you ride. I've run/raced a full-dressed Honda 450, then chopped it and ran it again, a 550-Four, 750 Nighthawk and more. Just do it. After you've done it a few times you get the feel for it. Some people like to slip the clutch - I just like to hit it hard and hang on. I actually proposed ot one girl in the middle of a wheelie in Whittier, California. She had the balls to say "what?". Well, by then we were back on two wheels. Needless to say that one didn't quite work out. I also got dumped off the back end of an XL350 in downtown Palm Springs one night. That was embarrassing. I don't remember why I was a passenger, but trust me on this - I have been very careful who I sit behind since then (1977).
I was actually a passenger on my very own Shadow 1100 not so long ago. My friend, Bruce came up from Utah and we went for a ride. He and I rode side-by-side for some 30,000 miles back in the day. Sometimes we wore a helmet, sometimes not. There was no helmet law here then. We also rode 6 inches apart in the dark - when motorcycles had a on, off, high button on the headlight. My headlight burned out and I follew him for some 25-30 miles in the 'dark'. Kids do some pretty stupid things sometimes - but there was a sense of trust.
All these things - all these years - all the miles - all the hours sitting in the saddle. In my humble opinion, the Raider is the most awesome bike I have ever ridden. Sure, sometimes I push her a bit. My rear tire is heavily worn from edge to edge - more than any other bike I've ever owned. But that's in part to the wide profile. 17K on the Shadow ant the middle shows much more wear than the sides - GRRR! I love corners and twisty roads.
Crotch rockets are fun - but only for a short time. It's AWESOME to take the curves at speeds that no automobile can - possibly with the exception of a Formyla 1 or Indy car.
The Raider doesn't handle like a sport bile in the corners, but it's still awesome to drag the pegs (I'm gonna wear down those little tit thingies). If you want to just accelerate in a straight line, that's awesome, too. Even a $50,000 Corvette can's keep up. Besides - it's sucking 3 gallons to the mile while doing it and trying to keep up.

This is the best all-around bike on the planet - for the moment. Let's just enjoy it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
LMFAO!

I used to play with unicycles as a kid. This is a really cool pic. Might be interesting to see a GoldWing version of this.

It's gotta be difficult to pull a wheelie on ine of these.............

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i love riding the raider and i also love ridn rockets i cant hate on either bein as i ride both lol. .i love the raider 4 its comfort power an jus all around package but there isnt a greater rush then draggin knee on a rocket i love it all as long as its on 2 wheels lol

·
Registered
2,570 Posts

Ya gotta have both. Just put wstewarts comments to this pict. :wave: :wave:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts