MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

I am considering some bags for my Raider as prime riding season is upon us here in Arizona. I have seen a few bags that I like, but here is the issue:

I have the Tall quick-release back rest assembly on my Raider and was wondering how bags are going to look. My issue is the way the brackets of the quick-release backrest take up a lot of space on the bike. It seems I could feed the throwover strap between the bracket and the bike, however it also seems that the top of the bags would be pushed up against the bottom of the bracket. Thus leading to a problem opening and closing the bags.

Along with this, I can only measure from the bottom of the quick release backrest to determine bag height, as opposed to the top of the fender. This limits my selection. :helpsmilie:

Any Idea's?

Wojo
Phoeniz, AZ

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm avoiding saddlebags on my Raider, so I got the Kuryakyn GranTour bag. It comes with a mounting kit to mount on the passenger seat or behind the sissy bar.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Wojo...I know how you feel but have decided to just forget the bags and go with a backpack for travel, and I do a lot of it... seems to me they havent designed a good bag design and placement... perhaps someday they will and if someone gets creative, they will make a lot of money off people like us....

:beer2::tour:

·
Registered
67 Posts
These are the Cortex bags I have for my Raider installed under the rear seat. I now have them off the bike and when needed I put them over the rear seat.

·
Banned
356 Posts
Hello Folks,

I am considering some bags for my Raider as prime riding season is upon us here in Arizona. I have seen a few bags that I like, but here is the issue:
WOJO,

I have the studder leather (synthetic) from Tourmaster... you can see shots of them here... http://www.mybikeforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=274

They mount under the seat, and from what I've been told, they will work fine witht he quick release backrest from Yamaha/Star.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Mustang Seats makes a kick-ass set of saddlebags. If you can't find them online, I can see if I can find the link. One thing, though - it requires a rear turn signal relocation. But they look awesome and are quick release. They're really petty.

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
I found the Tourmaster Cortek sport tailbag and Bungee knobs on the Raider Performance website. http://raiderperformance.com/ourbike.htm#Bungee

I put it on the fender instead of the rear seat.

This is my bike, today.
Any problem with scratching the paint on the rear fender with the bag directly on the paint? I use a backpak but sometimes need extra storage and this looks pretty good.

·
Registered
200 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Bags

That looks great mulerider - did you use the ghost brackets? How did you attatch the bags - I did not see the band in the pics? I have thought of getting some u-bolts to attatch the bags to the brackets since I never take them off and the ghost brackets are not compatible with the quick-release backrest.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I bought me a 20 cent piece of black felt at Walmart and glued it on the back of the strap with uphaulstry cpray on glue that I got from Advanced Auto Parts. I have not noticed any scratches.

·
Registered
28 Posts
jzr1v

I used cobra bag guards, mounted them then held the bags up against the guards where I felt they looked right then marked the bags where the touched the guard mounts and drilled the bags.
I had to go to the hardware and buy 2" bolts to attach the bags.
I hope this helps
Steve

·
Registered
138 Posts
Saddlebags

Thanks Mulerider17. I appreciate the info. So did you use brackets? I don't quite understand what you fixed the 2" bolts onto?You didn't drill through the brackets did you?:tour:

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a pair of large Willie & Max bags on Ghost brackets.

I've since installed a HK Sideburner pipe and replaced the rear seat with the chrome rack and will lower the bags sometime. But they still don't look too bad with the bracket instead of the seat, I just think they'll look a bit better sitting lower on the bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
jzr1v
Sorry should have been clearer. I used the bag guards, but the mounting bolts that come with them are too short when going through the bags. I also added washers inside and outside the bags to give it a better fit.
When I get more time I plan on putting a of 2" all thread in place of the bolt and making it quick disconnect just in case she wants to ride without the bags. Then after removing them add spikes to the all thread as a dress up.
Steve

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks for the info mulerider - I gotcha now...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Got rid of the strap

Well, I finally dug into the Raider today and modified the OEM bags. I run a quick release backrest, though, so I could not use the mounting bolts for the support brackets. I ended up using four U-clamps - looks sweet. What a difference it makes not to have that connecting belt. Cleans it up pretty good.:biker:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts