MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
boatwrench1 said:
dtalbott said:
I know I'm new here, but I need some help.

Please look at these pictures.

http://members.gcronline.com/dtalbott/new_page_2.htm

Has anybody seen another Raider or Yamaha with rusting bolts like that?
That bike was exposed to salt spray/air.
That's what I think. Bike is in the middle of Virginia, right on the Carolina line, and has not been near the ocean since it arrived here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
boatwrench1 said:
dtalbott said:
I know I'm new here, but I need some help.

Please look at these pictures.

http://members.gcronline.com/dtalbott/new_page_2.htm

Has anybody seen another Raider or Yamaha with rusting bolts like that?
That bike was exposed to salt spray/air.
One more question: is there a way or a company who can test those bolts and tell what might have caused that corrosion and rust?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Emissions from certain manufacturing plants may cause minor degradation to some paints and metals if exposed for an extended period of time.

cheers
Soupie :-(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
retgi said:
How long have you had it and where did you buy it? Was it like that when you got it?
Confession time: I work at a Honda/Yamaha dealership. The bike belongs to a customer. He bought the bike from us. It looked good when he took it home, and started rusting within three weeks.

The Raider gets parked in a shed next to the customer's GL1800. There is no rust or corrosion on the Wing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
good god man the one pic looks like scotch brite was used to clean chrome! any plants around that might interact with cloads causing acid rain? or a puddle that had anything harsh in it? don't know what else

·
Registered
220 Posts
dtalbott said:
The Raider gets parked in a shed next to the customer's GL1800. There is no rust or corrosion on the Wing.
Sheds hold a LOT of moisture/humidity thanks to poor ventilation. That coupled with the fact that it doesn't look like he's ever thrown polish on the bike... sure... it will rust in a matter of days.

I'd rather keep a bike under a cover outside than in a shed.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well just for the record I keep 2 bikes in a shed and 2 others before these 2 for 3 years and never had a problem. My shed is vented the same way a roof on a house is vented and I have never had or heard this problem with sheds. Lets not try to start a shed panic here and have everyone start selling their sheds or drilling holes in em.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I keep mine in Shed as well and so far nothing like that. I have seen some spots but with a right cleaner is as shiny as before.

·
Registered
826 Posts
YEEEEEEKKKK! Something has gotten on that bike I have seen that same stuff on auction bikes that come from Georgia The acid Rain will kill them and cause massive oxidation and rust that you can not get off and spreads all over the bike like a cancer. Dealer replaced half the bike and it just kept coming back, and once it starts you might as well drop back 10 and punt! Just my $.02

·
Registered
194 Posts
Naaa, I think this dude lives in Florida and he thought is just a bike and it can tolerate outside weather and Florida salt air is a killer. I lived there three years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have seen rust and oxidation like this on cars. Every time I have seen this the vehicle turns out to be a flood vehicle. If you look at the pictures that show the side covers you can see where someone has burned the edges of the paint with a buffer. These bikes have not been out long enough to need a buffer used on one. Even the fins on the cylinders are oxidized. If it is from being under water you will know in a few more weeks. From the looks of the pictures it will start having wiring problems shortly. But for this theory the bike would have had to been used when the dealer you work for sold it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well, You can toss the "Shed" idea out. If it's big enough to house this bike it was probably built with the same venting as a garage, ridge vent and the soffiting(??) overhang which would be more than adequate. It honestly looks like he left it outside, and since It's not your bike, then you won't mind me saying that it was very poorly maintained. It does look like he either waxed it with steel wool, or sandblasted the chrome pieces! The bolts were taken off or put on with the wrong tools, it looks like a wrench slipped on the outside and seeing how it's an allen head, that's pretty funny. The heat shield on the same pic, well, it looks like it took the same wrench! What's the customer looking for, new parts, or bigger?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FatAzz said:
Well, You can toss the "Shed" idea out. If it's big enough to house this bike it was probably built with the same venting as a garage, ridge vent and the soffiting(??) overhang which would be more than adequate. It honestly looks like he left it outside, and since It's not your bike, then you won't mind me saying that it was very poorly maintained. It does look like he either waxed it with steel wool, or sandblasted the chrome pieces! The bolts were taken off or put on with the wrong tools, it looks like a wrench slipped on the outside and seeing how it's an allen head, that's pretty funny. The heat shield on the same pic, well, it looks like it took the same wrench! What's the customer looking for, new parts, or bigger?
The GL1800 which parks next to the Raider in the shed is immaculate. I don't think I can blame the customer for this one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TonyOne said:
I have seen rust and oxidation like this on cars. Every time I have seen this the vehicle turns out to be a flood vehicle. If you look at the pictures that show the side covers you can see where someone has burned the edges of the paint with a buffer. These bikes have not been out long enough to need a buffer used on one. Even the fins on the cylinders are oxidized. If it is from being under water you will know in a few more weeks. From the looks of the pictures it will start having wiring problems shortly. But for this theory the bike would have had to been used when the dealer you work for sold it.
Bike was brand new when we sold it.

Never been on salt roads or the beach.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts