MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2012 raider scl,it is new(demo 32 miles,so no warranty),came from the dealer with cobra swept pipes and a cobra 2000 tuner. It pops and backfires like crazy whenever I let off the throttle even when I shift.I did some research and it seems like the cobra tuner should fix most of this,but it doesn't seem to be doing its job. I am headed from Michigan to florida via the Carolinas (129)and the backfiring is gonna be a problem in the mountains.is there a way to test the tuner?any suggestions would be appreciated.I am stopping in Maryland for the 1st service.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Hey there - welcome to the family.
There's a couple of things to look for - obviously you picked up the bike with the pipes already installed, so double check the seal where the headpipes meet the cylinder heads as well as the O2 sensor connection. Any leaks in the system will cause significant popping.
Also, do you have the Standard FI2000R or the PowerPro? The Standard model will have to be adjusted/tuned, which you can do yourself by adjusting the screws on the unit. If you have the PowerPro, it's an auto-tuner type. In my experience, no tuner will eliminate ALL popping with an aftermarket pipe, but it shouldn't be excessive either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info,had the net last night and did some research,looks like I have the fi 2000,so I have adjusted the green pot up a little,as per some others who had the same setup, doesn't seem to be any leaks so hoping this will help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
800 miles later l adjusted the tuner,it made it better for a short while,then got bad again.thinking the o2 needs to be disconnected, maybe it's working against the ecu,but I took it to a Yamaha dealer in Maryland and they say no, I'm gonna try some injector cleaner,maybe bad fuel sitting on the showroom floor. By the way the dealer turned the pots up to 5-4-4 and it was better in low gear,but it rode like carp,real choppy,and it was surging at cruise.I don't think that's the answer,everyone else that has the same setup runs it at 2-3-3 or 2-3-2.they said they found a small leak as well,but it didn't make a difference.Starting to worry a little, don't want to mess up my engine.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
I'm a little concerned on the dealer's advice to adjust ALL the pots. Remember that they control three different settings - (I believe idle, cruise and wide-open??) - so ideally you should only adjust the pot that coincides with the situation under which you're experiencing the popping. If the situation in low gear improved, that pot is likely correct, but the others are now adjusted incorrectly. There are two versions of the FI2000 - one for bikes with an O2 sensor, and one without. Since your Raider has an O2 sensor, you should have the correct model FI. If you want to reset the stock ECU, you can simply disconnect the negative lead from the battery for about 5-7 minutes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was a little concerned as well,he said it was. Running lean,but you r correct,ive downloaded the instructions and the green should be the only one that needs adjusting.I may be crazy,but
I think I'm gonna get the newer tuner that I can load maps,I've had that before and I really like the ability to fine tune.I just hope I'm not wasting my money.
I'll let you know,thanks for the help,heading down to 129 tomorrow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fixed it!!!

Yeah!!!the new tuner did the trick.took off the old one ,installed a powercommander v,did a little tweaking,and it is a different bike.Wow!! Gotta thank the guys a at a certain dealership in Glen Burnie MD for a lot of extra help. Smooth as silk into the throttle, no pops,just a little grumble,even on long downhills,did 450 miles on the skyline and blue ridge parkway, lovin it!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
had cobra auto tuner

do yourself a favor. Take the bike to a dyno-shop. I had the exact same issues with the cobra swept pipes and power pro auto tune. exchanged the tuner for a Dyno-Jet power commander V and payed a Dyno-shop to run the bike for about 6 hrs. (a little expensive) but if you want the thing to run right, trust me, because I went through the same ordeal, pay the money and be able to enjoy a perfect tune on that bike. I did mine after about 2 months of frustration and now it's running perfect!!!!!!!! Worth every penny!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Concerned

Have a 13 raider scl with V&H 2 in to 2. Does pop a little on down hill deceleration. The noise does not bother me just wondering if it is bad for the motor

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
back home

Back home in Fla,great ride,ran the tail in the rain, bike is running a lot better,but I am gonna get it dynoed ,any
suggestions on where to go around the Stuart palm beach area? I will post pics as soon as I figure out how.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts