MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have never seen so many drain plugs in my life for a simple oil change. there are three under the bike and your oil level check is under the seat. such a pain the first time without directions. it takes 5 quarts of oil. things ya do these days to save a few bucks.... if anyone else plans on changin ur own oil have fun for your first time.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I guess I didn't think it was that bad at all. Of course if you try to do it without a lift it may be a whole nother story. If you have the proper tools it should not take more than 20-30 minutes.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm planning on going with standard oil for the first 10,000 miles (6 months at the most) and then changing to synthetic - probably Amsoil. Any thoughts on this? I've had pretty good luck in the past - at least on the Japanese bikes doing this. When I had the Harley, I just used regular 10W-40 Penzoil automotive and never had any problems.

First oil change I did on the Shadow, I used 10W-40 Penzoil and got a lot of grief from my group. I immediately changed out to standard Honda oil. Now running synthetic and have never had any problems.

I don't do a lot of clutch-slipping, so I'm not sure. Sometimes (15% of the time) I don't even use the clutch. I have never felt that any clutch has any undue slippage to to 'really slick oil'.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oil change .... so ... so

Transfer case is something else!

Be patient & don't scratch the chrome if working around the exhaust. Or follow the service manuals instructions & take the muffler off.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have been researching which oil to use since i got my bike... the manual recommends 20W-40 which as close as i can find does not exist... so I called my dealer and they recommend 20W50 which seems odd to me because at operating temperature it will effectively be a 50 weight oil not a 40 weight... so i went looking for full synthetic 20w-50 and all i found was 8.50 a quart amsoil or 10 dollar a quart v-twin mobil 1... good lord thats alot of money for oil.... so i decided to call star cycles today and the yamalube they recommend that is full syntheic is a 15w-50... which is likely over 10 bucks a quart from yamaha....then today at lunch I went to walmart and they have a 5 quart jug of full syntheic mobil 1 15w-50 for 24 bucks with tax.... thank the maker I have found a great oil i can afford for my baby... put 500 mile on my bike the first 5 days i owned her... I will be doing the first service this weekend.... sorry to post this on your post dirtman1 but it seemed as good a spot as any.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
savage25xtreme said:
I have been researching which oil to use since i got my bike... the manual recommends 20W-40 which as close as i can find does not exist... so I called my dealer and they recommend 20W50 which seems odd to me because at operating temperature it will effectively be a 50 weight oil not a 40 weight... so i went looking for full synthetic 20w-50 and all i found was 8.50 a quart amsoil or 10 dollar a quart v-twin mobil 1... good lord thats alot of money for oil.... so i decided to call star cycles today and the yamalube they recommend that is full syntheic is a 15w-50... which is likely over 10 bucks a quart from yamaha....then today at lunch I went to walmart and they have a 5 quart jug of full syntheic mobil 1 15w-50 for 24 bucks with tax.... thank the maker I have found a great oil i can afford for my baby... put 500 mile on my bike the first 5 days i owned her... I will be doing the first service this weekend.... sorry to post this on your post dirtman1 but it seemed as good a spot as any.
[/quote
Savage, I just hope that great deal on oil doesn't have friction modifiers in it. That will screw up your clutch.You can never be sure if its for Auto. With motorcycle specific oils you can be sure they don't have friction modifiers. Is it worth it??Your bike costs thousands,50 bucks for oil and and peace of mind might be worth it. Valveloine makes a V twin non syn.thats only about 3 bucks a qrt. Read those cans (or plastic bottles) Aha

·
Registered
231 Posts
hmmm true i guess... if i feel my clutch slipping I will change it i guess :-\

I used castrol 10W40 in my honda for 8 years with no problems...people use amsoil in there bikes and that is not a wet clutch oil.... but like you said...you never know.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Think theres only a few to worry about but with my luck thats what Id pick if It didn't say motorcycle. :wave: :wave:

·
Registered
538 Posts
The Amsoil is really the way to go but don't put it in until you have 1000 to 1500 miles on the beast.
I am looking for amsoil gear oil right now for my trans. I put amsoil in both the trans and the engine on my warrior and I will not use anything else. Of course I am just doing the 600 mile so no synth for the engine yet.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have 5 qts of Royal Purple Max cycle that was for my old bike but never used it. The problem is it's 10w40, Debating if I should use it on the Raider. They make 20w50 also but I would hate to not use the 10w40 because I paid $10 a qt for it. I guess I need to know if it will hurt using 10w40 or not? I doubt it since this RP is the gnats ass. I always thought that 10w40 would allow better cooling then 20w50 but it sounds like I am wrong on that. Any idea's?

I just passed 2600mi, and have not changed the oil since the 600mi service which was done at 800mi. I think I am ready to shift her to full synthetic now.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I don't know what thread it was but Iknow who it was :icon10: LOL
Updated
BOSCH……………………….3300 2.5"
BOSCH……………………….3323 3.25"
K&N…………………………..KN-303
K&N Chrome...............KN-303C
NAPA GOLD………………...1358
PUROLATOR……………….ML16817
PUROLATOR PURE ONE....PL14610 3.25"
PUROLATOR PURE ONE....PL14612 2.5"
STP…………………………...SDF13
WIX…………………………..51358
FRAM………………………..6017A
HASTINGS…………………..LF-113
HI FLO………………………HF-303
EMGO……………………….10-82220
PER-FORM…………………J-503
AMSOIL...................EAOM103
AMSOIL Chrome.........EAOM103C
Mobile 1 ...................M1-108 2.5"
Mobile 1...................M1-110 3.25"
Super Tech..................ST731

·
Registered
6 Posts
The AMSOIL (MCF) 10W-40 Motorcycle oil will be a great recommendation for the RAIDER. The MCF 10W-40 meets the JASO spec of MA / MA2 for wet clutch applications. AMSOIL also offers a EAOM103 or EAOM103C (C for Chrome)filter which has a thread pitch of 20x1.5mm. The MCF and EAOM filter has an AMSOIL warranty drain interval of two time the Yamaha drain interval.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Thanks for the info Attacker, I will add them to my list.

·
Registered
530 Posts
eian31 said:
I don't know what thread it was but Iknow who it was :icon10: LOL
BOSCH……………………….3300
K&N………………………….KN-303
NAPA GOLD………………...1358
PUROLATOR……………….ML16817
STP…………………………...SDF13
WIX…………………………..51358
FRAM………………………..6017A
HASTINGS…………………..LF-113
HI FLO………………………HF-303
EMGO……………………….10-82220
PER-FORM…………………J-503
Sweet, for the record the K&N chrome is only $1 more here and the # is KN303C. This should probably be in the main info page so someone can find it easier. Thanks Bro.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't have a Raider yet but have put 21000 miles on my Virago 1100 in the last 2 years and use Valvoline 4Stroke Motorcycle oil that I get at Autozone. They also have a 4Stroke 4wheeler version oil...probably same stuff. Valvoline states that it is formulated for the demands of wet clutches and it is not that expensive. Can't remember what I paid last time but is was about $3/quart or something like that.

·
Registered
538 Posts
LiveToRaid said:
Don't have a Raider yet but have put 21000 miles on my Virago 1100 in the last 2 years and use Valvoline 4Stroke Motorcycle oil that I get at Autozone. They also have a 4Stroke 4wheeler version oil...probably same stuff. Valvoline states that it is formulated for the demands of wet clutches and it is not that expensive. Can't remember what I paid last time but is was about $3/quart or something like that.
I just did my 600 (700) mile service. I used mobil synth in the gearbox and the 20/50 Valvoline Motorcycle oil from Autozone. It was $3.89 a quart. I will switch to Amsoil synth at 1200 miles. This is the second time I have changed oil because I did it the first day after I broke it in. I got it all over everything the first time but this time I didn't spill a drop. The bike was in the garage and it was 103 degrees outside so I didn't start it up. I figured that all the oil was at the bottom of the crankcase and it was hot enough so I just drained everything and let it drain for about an hour. Much easier the second time.

·
Registered
530 Posts
OK, I am attempting my first oil change. I have found the 2 drain plugs on the kickstand side (pretty sure) but for the life of me I cannot find the main plug. Does not seem to be sitting at the bottom of the crankcase like I am used to seeing and the book shows it near the shock spring but I cannot find it.WTF! Anyone have a good pic, or can explain where to look? Also what size wrenches did you use?

Oh man, someone tell me it's not the one that is behind the brace bracket that requires an allen wrench? WTF is up with that? I don't see how you cannot get oil everywhere if you drain it from that one 1st like the book says?
Thanks

·
Registered
530 Posts
NHRAIDER said:
OK, I am attempting my first oil change. I have found the 2 drain plugs on the kickstand side (pretty sure) but for the life of me I cannot find the main plug. Does not seem to be sitting at the bottom of the crankcase like I am used to seeing and the book shows it near the shock spring but I cannot find it.WTF! Anyone have a good pic, or can explain where to look? Also what size wrenches did you use?

Oh man, someone tell me it's not the one that is behind the brace bracket that requires an allen wrench? WTF is up with that? I don't see how you cannot get oil everywhere if you drain it from that one 1st like the book says?
Thanks
If anyone could help here I would appreciate it. I got the 2 on the kickstand side off and quite a bit came out, I am getting ready to pull the filter but I need to find this 3rd plug and it is starting to rain..arrrggghhhhhhhh :cus: :kboom: :swear:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts