MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and foremost, hello everyone. I am kind of new to the cruiser scene. I am 26 and have been riding sportbikes for about 100k miles so far. I owned a Yamaha V-Star Custom 650 once and sold it after 900miles. I now own a 2008 Raven Raider. I loved the Raider and the Warrior but chose the Raider due to the custom look. One thing I loved about the Warrior was the tach...and being a sportbike enthusiast, I wish the Raider came with one. I found this and was wondering a couple of things.

1. Would something like this work for the raider?
2. If yes, what is the Raiders maximum RPM, and Redline?
3. And what do you guys think of this product?

Thanks for the help guys and have a good one.
Jason,
aka: Mindiraser

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was considering making my own tach... well... really not a tach - more or less 2 LED's - 1 amber and 1 red - they should be pretty bright. This won't tell you your exact RPM tho.

Here's the idea - when you're done modding the bike with pipes, etc.... have the sucker dyno tuned - using the results - you'll be able to see 2 things..

1) What RPM you're baning out the most torque - this is your launch RPM - Amber light.
2) What RPM you reach maximum horsepower before dropoff - this is your shift RPM - Red Light.

When the amber light is on - you're in maximum torque range - when the Red light hits - SHIFT.

This way... you know when you're in your ground-pounding RPM band.

This can even work with 3 lights - you can use Green as the torque, red as shift and amber as a mid-point - just so you know when you're half-way through your curve.

The idea is to use a module similar to the ones used in shift lights - not actual tachometers. You can buy just the stand-alone shift lights and use the CPU inside as the controller for sending the signal to the light - which you can then mount anywhere you please.

I was thinking of purchasing a second cap and drilling/mounting lights inside the riser itself - more than likely on the points that protrude towards the tank.

Just an idea.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey Ninja, Sounds like you know your stuff.
I was through your town yesterday but on my Nomad.
Any chance we could meet up sometime?
I ride Indiana often.

Next time on the Raider.

Best,
Ken

·
Registered
826 Posts
Sorry Mind,
not liking the looks of that at all. Ninja your idea however is very interesting to me and if you ever do it I would be very interested in seeing it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey Ninja, how soon before you have that done and ready for delivery????

GC

·
Registered
826 Posts
Even better I am with GC make that 2 please!!! :icon10:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was looking around for a tach that I hopefully could mount into the chrome cover just above the speedo. I love your idea. The 2 or 3 LED lights would look good mounted there. Very clean and hidden wires. I would love to see this one brought to life........ :icon_wink:

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'll have to do some research - but for the most part - anything that can show multiple shift points are for cars ><

I'll ask one of my tech buddies to see if he can whip up something for me - or if he knows of anyone that can.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I felt the same way with my Shadow and then my VTX. Still debating the Raider. The Baron, Tach is well designed and made and looks great. I highly recommend it, takes all the guess work out, am I in 5th?? or am I close to redline. Only thing is both the Honda's had an open spot on the bars perfect in the middle of the bar. The Raider has the plate over the mount which wont allow a center bar mount but there is enough room just outside the plate to mount it.
http://www.baronscustom.com/catalog/display/252/index.html

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nomad,
Where do you ride in Indiana? I am in Dyer... :dutch:
Kevin

Was waiting to here from Ninja. He is near me as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts