MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure it is time to quit :365127745460d5d5774562: I posted this on another forum, so I thought i would apply here as well.

Every one is talking about the Cobra swepts scraping the ground. We all know it by now. But think about it. If you have ever ridden motorcycles in the past, you can tell by looking at them when you put them on that the potential for them to scrape was there.

Yes, it irritates me that they scrape also. But I knew when I put them on that that was a possibility. If you put them on and knew that they might scrape, you should have taken them off and sent them back. I like the Swept pipes, and love the sound. And yes I have scraped mine also. Cobra is going to make it right and that is the end of the issue for me. Every company makes bad products from time to time. It is just the nature of business. That is why they have recalls, to fix problems. A company cannot test for every conceivable problem that may occur.

Saying a company is bad or saying I am never going to buy another product from them because my pipes that i knew could scrape when I put them on actually did scrape, then you might as well not buy anything from any body ever again. Because the likelihood of never ending up with a bad product is just not possible. Get over it, and get your pipes fixed, put the stock pipes back on, or buy something else.

Sorry, just had to voice my .02.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hmmm... not sure I agree intirely.

I'm a computer programmer by trade. I write computer programs.

Cobra creates after market products for motorcycles. They create after market exhaust.

When I write a computer program, I do not place that program into production (make available to the consumer the aftermarket exhaust) without first testing my program (putting the aftermarket exhaust on the bike and road testing).

Do exceptions/errors occur? Absolutely. Those exceptions are what we call "edged cases".. things that are not thought of during testing.. oddities that rarely happen.

Pipes that scrape are not "oddities" or an "edge case". Scraping would be a very basic test. One of the very first things that cobra should have tested.

I'm not saying that I would never buy anthing from Cobra ever again... but.. c'mon. Test your product.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am inclined to agree with WARaider. I purchased these pipes AFTER knowing about the scraping issue. Do I ever plan to dig into a turn enough to have an issue - nope. Did I want the style and sound of these pipes - absolutely. To automatically start claiming "never gonna buy from them again" despite the fact that they have made changes and are acting to rectify the situation for those that need it, is absurd. I am sure many of these same folks would have been screaming for someone's head if the initial release of these pipes had been delayed - 'cause they wanted their aftermarket pipes (for a brand new freakin' bike !!!) available instantly. Too many people today somehow got the idea that they are entitled to be pleased and catered to at all times. The reality is that life sucks sometimes, everyone, including the complainers, makes mistakes but not everyone owns up to them or tries to correct them. The only right we have regarding this is the "PURSUIT" of happiness - nothing guarantees your gonna get it. So far I haven't seen anyone here diplaying this attitude, just more and more people in society in general.

I can completely understand a person being upset if their pipes have scraped and wanting a correction made. I think Cobra has tried to do what everyone wants so far - 1st to produce and distribute a highly sought after accessory as soon as possible, and 2nd to redesign them and implement a process to correct earler versions.

Just my opinion of the situation..........................

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mr T, I understand where you are coming from. But, everyone rides differently. These people that say they are taking very easy curves and are scraping. I am not sure about that. I have scraped my pipes twice. once on a curve that I was going to fast on, and once when I had a passenger on the bike and took a sharp curve. I believe that the main complainers are trying to ride this bike like a Sport Bike. This is a cruiser, designed to cruise, not treat like a sport bike. We all like to have fun., but lets think about what the bike is intended for. If I am a manufacturer, I make a product designed for the application it is intended for. Granted, should the pipes scrape? No, But since I knew that the potential was there when I put the pipes on, I shouldn't be complaining until I know if the manufacturer is willing to rectify the situation. If the manufacturer had to have a different test rider for ever style of riding out there, they would go broke. Sorry to rant, but all I hear from different people is how crappy these pipes are. They are great pipes, looks, Sound, everything about them, except the scraping issue. Even the price is good. You pay almost 800.00 for the Yamaha pipes, and about the same for the Mortons. Cobra is fixing the scraping issue, so I think we should put this to rest and let them fix it.

Jocal, you said in you post "The only right we have regarding this is the "PURSUIT" of happiness - nothing guarantees your gonna get it. So far I haven't seen anyone here diplaying this attitude, just more and more people in society in general." That is a fact. You are absolutely right. My happiness is my happiness and yours is yours. These pipes make me happy, that is what matters to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I worked for software development company for 7 years and don't say they that they don't put out programs with bugs.
Look at windows, xp, vista and any number of programs. And some of these are not the hard to find bugs. I bought one world atlas program where some the cities were misspelled. I'm with WaRaider on this.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I've been a programmer for 35+ years.

I still say... test your product.

Comparing the creation of an operating system like Windows, Xp and Vista to creating a set of pipes that you test throughly... is like comparing a brain surgeon to a veg-o-matic.

I'm not saying I won't buy anthing from Cobra... nor that their stuff is crap. Granted everybody rides differently.. and some will always push the limits of the bike. Scraping pipes... should not be a limit.

·
Registered
530 Posts
WaRaider said:
Mr T, I understand where you are coming from. But, everyone rides differently. These people that say they are taking very easy curves and are scraping. I am not sure about that. I have scraped my pipes twice. once on a curve that I was going to fast on, and once when I had a passenger on the bike and took a sharp curve. I believe that the main complainers are trying to ride this bike like a Sport Bike. This is a cruiser, designed to cruise, not treat like a sport bike. We all like to have fun., but lets think about what the bike is intended for.
Thats all well and good WA but the main complaint that people are making myself included and what alot of people either are not getting or are ignoring is the fact that they scrape BEFORE THE PEG. Aggressive or not the peg should touch before any pipe. Thats why they put feelers on the pegs. I don't mean to be sarcastic but come on, when a pipe manuf. does this it says something about R&D. I have owned Cobra before and will most likely own them again. (I love the look of the swepts) But I can definetly see how someone would not want to buy from them again because this is not a small issue like chrome pitting or bluing pipes. Sure I feel that some are going too far with it but thats their right, besides most are just venting and will buy again anyway. What I don't get is the need to defend it so much. I don't own them yet but if I did I would be just as upset whether I scraped them or not. Also just because you have not scraped yet does not mean that you won't. Just keep in the back of your mind that it's a possibility so god forbid if you hear the loud ass noise you don't panic and over correct or something. That is truly the bottom line here.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Typical Americans,just accept imperfection because perfection is impossible. My ass, we have stopped trying for perfection because the american public will accept it. Good luck with you're country in the future.The more crap you accept the more crap you will get. I'am a Nuke weapons inspector,If I accepted crap you might not be here. Lets all stop trying for perfection and let the ********* take over, they strive for perfection.Sorry for the rant but I feel sorry for your Grand kids. I'am outta here in just a few years but most of you have got some big supprises comming. Your all pissed at four dollar a gallon gas. Ha just wait till your hungry. Like I said sorry but big changes comming. Your gona hafta share. :wave: :wave: :rant-rave: :rant-rave:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Well I figured I would chime in on this. The bottom line for me is that Cobra is aware of the problem and I believe working to correct it. If they make it right then all is well and then we can put it to rest. But that if and when they correct it.

I agree with several points in all of the above posts:
Everyone was going crazy for aftermarket stuff and wanted it fast, first to market would stand to make more money than the others. I am fine with that but I also believe you should test your product, or at the very least be prepared to fix something that goes wrong if the people who buy your product are your testers. (What I think Cobra is doing now)

Indeed my biggest complaint is that the peg does not touch before the exhaust, If you hit your peg and continued to dig into the corner that you get what you deserve and I would not have an issue once so ever.

There is no way you can compare an operating system to the design and testing of exhaust. There is a lot of engineering in the pipes from people way smarter than I, but I do not think the comparison is fair.

Sorry WA but a couple of points that I can not agree with you on is the fact that "If you have ever ridden motorcycles in the past, you can tell by looking at them when you put them on that the potential for them to scrape was there." The problem with that statement is 1 they changed their drawings after the pipes were produced and once you had them on it was already to late to do a return. Second I have ridden motorcycles for 15 some odd years and I never would have thought in a million years that an exhaust that was made for a specific bike would scrape, call me stupid or naive if you like but that thought never crossed my mind, I figured the company selling them would have tested them and they would not do that.

"These people that say they are taking very easy curves and are scraping. I am not sure about that." I have scraped mine at low speed avoiding things at lower than 10 mph (5 or more) more times than I have ever touched them down while laying it over in a sweeping turn (1) So I can tell you with 100% certainty that they cane be scraped going easy.

Now onto the I will never buy their stuff again!! Well to me that is not fair I love the look and sound of my pipes and the damage to mine is not visible unless you lay down and look. Regardless of what happens I will probably have them for a long time to come. Pair that with their willingness to admit their is a problem and change their design I think they are acting like a stand up company should and that shows me alot these days. It would have been easy for them to say sorry nothing we can do and move on, but they are not doing that!

Either way you feel on this issue I believe it has been blown up a bit more than it needs to be but that does not mean that everyone who has stated an opinion so far does not have some validity to their argument. I am getting off my soap box now!
Later

·
Registered
671 Posts
busajack said:
Typical Americans,just accept imperfection because perfection is impossible. My ass, we have stopped trying for perfection because the american public will accept it. Good luck with you're country in the future.The more crap you accept the more crap you will get. I'am a Nuke weapons inspector,If I accepted crap you might not be here. Lets all stop trying for perfection and let the ********* take over, they strive for perfection.Sorry for the rant but I feel sorry for your Grand kids. I'am outta here in just a few years but most of you have got some big supprises comming. Your all pissed at four dollar a gallon gas. Ha just wait till your hungry. Like I said sorry but big changes comming. Your gona hafta share. :wave: :wave: :rant-rave: :rant-rave:
AMEN BROTHER!!!! word of mouth is the hardest thing to overcome, weather its true or not, if your part is proved defective, which isn't hard today, you will be sued, one other thing,if you don't properly take care of you customers some else will go Hard Krome Sideburners...lol :beer2:

one good thing is our bikes run sooooooo good that we must beat certain issues to death to have something to talk about :icon10:

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Eian, you are a smart young sheet aren,t you. I nominate you for the design of the new Hummer that will protect my grandson that has just enlisted in the army. Thats why I'am such a spaazzze case. Sorry guys..but why does he have to face death because of a commander and chief thats not as bright as me. And thats pretty bad..Sorry now back to Motorcycles. Jack :rant-rave: :rant-rave: :-\ :-\ :icon_redface:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Here's the bottom line everyone:

Going fast and taking corners like sport bike won't get you noticed.

Sound and looks will.

I bought the bike because I love the look and didn't mind the extra "oomph". I want people to see the bike - not just the blur of it going by ;)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I apologize if I offended anyone. I guess what I was trying to say is, We all know they scrape. Can we let Cobra do their part and fix the problem and move on to the better things like MORE MODS. :wave: 8)

·
Registered
826 Posts
WaRaider said:
Can we let Cobra do their part and fix the problem and move on to the better things like MORE MODS. :wave: 8)
Now that stetment I agree with 100%........No offense taken by me at all just wanted to point a few things out. :icon10:

And honestly you have nothing to apologize for!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I spoke to Cobra on May 29th and they're expecting to have the "redos" at the end of this month, early July. For those that have them already, they will take all your info and ship the new ones to you. You'll have to ship back your scrapers. They don't want to see them on Ebay.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
eian31 said:
WaRaider said:
Can we let Cobra do their part and fix the problem and move on to the better things like MORE MODS. :wave: 8)
Now that stetment I agree with 100%........No offense taken by me at all just wanted to point a few things out. :icon10:

And honestly you have nothing to apologize for!!!
Thanks Eian

·
Registered
10 Posts
busajack said:
Eian, you are a smart young sheet aren,t you. I nominate you for the design of the new Hummer that will protect my grandson that has just enlisted in the army. Thats why I'am such a spaazzze case. Sorry guys..but why does he have to face death because of a commander and chief thats not as bright as me. And thats pretty bad..Sorry now back to Motorcycles. Jack :rant-rave: :rant-rave: :-\ :-\ :icon_redface:

Not to make light of your situation but this is a volunteer army and everyone has a choice. The role of the Military is to Kill its enemy (whether you agree or not). When I was a weapons instructor for MC bootcamp, the first thing out of my mouth was I am here to teach you to kill a man from 500 Meters. That is the facts of life in the military. Your job is to kill the enemy before he kills you. You don't sign up for the benefits.

Again I understand you are in disagreement for the war and that is your right.

Thank a Service Member and your Grandson for carrying on that noble occupation.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.