MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try to gut out the stock exhaust yet? I've got mine laying in the floor and trying to find internal pictures of exhaust so I can figure out where to start. I think these pipes would have alot of thump if you could get the guts out. Anyone know where there is a picture of the internals? I saw one on-line, but old age is setting in and I can't find it now. ???

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey AF A bunch of us are in the chat room if you want to check it out

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I punched the stock pipes out yesterday. I drilled 8 - 3/4" holes around each center pipe and it made a huge difference. Worth the cost of a $16 drill bit. Now that I can see the inners, it looks like the stage 3 will be the same as any other bike. I'll ride it for awhile like this. The computer compensated fine for it. It took a good warm up and a good wrap of the throttle on the highway and alls good in Idaho. It sounds sweet! BTW...them pipes are heavy and that weight will eventually have to go.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have heard of other people doing that. I bet it sounds pretty good. I am waiting on the Cobra Swept Pipes. Thought about drilling out the pipes, but since they are about $3,000.00 I decided I would wait. really don't want ot screw the pipes up and then not have anything. LOL

·
Registered
326 Posts
the stock pipes cost $3,000 yikes01 i think im gonna put mine on ebay, thatll pay for my new rims ;D

·
Registered
155 Posts
I saw a brand new set listed for $1500.00 of there. I don't know what they sold for or even if they sold. Had the same idea, maybe make a few bucks. Good luck

·
Registered
93 Posts
I saw the swept pipes from Cobra and they look like a good fit for the Raider. That video from Big Daddy was interesting and an easy way to get that desired sound. What problems if any would this method cause the bike? I once owned a Honda 305 cc and everyone was unscrewing the baffles to get a louder sound and it didn't seem to do any harm. Of course that was before technology and pollution control devices were employed inside the pipes. Would this also void the warranty? My last question is how do you remove that small metal piece from around the baffle? John from Maine.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've drilled out some of the exhausts on my old bikes, and it not only sounded much better, but gave me an impressive increase in low-end torque. But none of those bikes were fuel injected, and more prevalently in my mind... none had an EXUP valve. Is anyone SURE (or at least reasonably so) that drilling some holes in the end of the stock pipes won't completely throw everything off with that EXUP valve? Because I'm really quite tempted to do it and achieve that improvement in sound that I've been craving from my Raider. But, being a 23 year old recent college grad, I don't have spare money to replace an exhaust if it screws up the performance.

Also, I bought the bike planning on changing the exhaust, and I had in mind something very similar to the cobra swepts, before pictures of them were ever released. The only thing is, now that I've learned a little more about the benefits of the EXUP, I am wondering if any of the other pipes are truly worth it in the performance field, and am wondering if anyone's seen after market pipes PROVEN to increase performance via dyno results?

Sorry for the long post, but I love this forum, found it today, joined SPECIFICALLY to pose this question to fellow Raider riders/lovers, and hopefully get a response from people with knowledge or direct experiences. Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It shouldn't effect the EXUP valve, I installed a slip on on my Blue R1 and it didn't effect the performance. The only question that I have is, will this affect my warranty.

·
Registered
326 Posts
it shouldnt affect your warrenty, that would mean that you cant install aftermarket exhaust or modifie the computer or air box, and i changed my pipes out and could feel a differnce it feels like it pulls a lot harder than it did with the stock exhaust but dont have any dyno results to prove it ;D

·
Registered
826 Posts
yeah i would tend to agree with ao, of course maybe i am just being wishful, but it sure sounds a hell of a lot better.

·
Banned
53 Posts
Can anyone show some pictures of the punched out/drilled exhaust. I am riding for 2 days this weekend and would like bike to sound louder. Let m eknow. Give me step by step instructions on what to do. Thanks Black is faster.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i drilled mine out and it worled great all i did was drill 6 - 1/2" holes around the baffels (the holes that the exhaust comes out) than i painted the hole with flat black to hide them

·
Registered
373 Posts
I thought about drilling holes in mine also, but my swepts are on the way an I havne't had toime to do it. so now I won't have to.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just done the stage one mod on the exhaust it was simple i used a final drill bit size of half for the small holes and three quarter for the larger ones. The sound of this mod really good but still sounds like a 2 to 1 exhaust. Not sure about road sound as it is raining and snowing hear ill let every one know what i think when the sun come back on sun :-\

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn158/highrpm999/041008_141300.jpg
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn158/highrpm999/041008_141200.jpg

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hey Highrpm999
Thanks for the photos. I was wondering what it was going to look like after the holes were drilled. We are having a snowstorm right now(April-tired of this weather) and my bike is in for it's 500 mile service. I could not drive it back to my shop today(2 miles) because of snow and slush. Anyway if I can get it back tomorrow, I am going to do the same mod. It seems to me, and I definitely could be wrong, that I could do this mod without removing the pipes. Any opinions out there? Thanks again to everyone for contributing.

·
Registered
326 Posts
you wanna do it while there on the bike so you dont have to have someone hold them or take a chance of slipping and messing the chrome up

1 - 20 of 29 Posts