MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is one dealer here in the Chicagoland area that is selling the Blue S for $11,199 and the non-S for $11,799. They are the only dealer I'm aware of letting go at this price. I've been to three other dealerships that won't budge on price (and with good reason...they can't keep them on the floor). Would anyone be suspect of this pricing? Could these be crate-damaged bikes that are being sold without a full warranty or is there some other sales tactic?

I don't want to pay more than I need...we're talking about a $1,600 difference in pricing, but I also don't want to get taken either.

THoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
What dealer in Chicago? I'm in the area...

I would say it's not bad. I am assuming not including tax and other fees. I got mine out the door for $13000 so that's not bad really.

In a few more months you 1.) won't be able to negotiate price since the demand will be high and someone will pay full price 2.) you may have to wait to get one here before long.

KK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Highlands Yamaha in Countryside. I'm a firm believer in the notion that if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Problem is, I have money down for an S at another shop that won't budge on price.

Life was so much simpler before the Raider.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are the typical fees? Aside from tax and title, my dealer is hitting me up for freight of $365, assembly/handling of $298 and document charges of $99. Is this excessive?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
I got my Red Raider at MSRP but after all the fee's and taxes it was $14,900 out the door. I've been hearing of Raiders going out the door for a lot lesss than MRSP depending on what part of the country you're in. For our area I actually got $1,000 off because the dealership gives discounts to members of Star Riding and Touring. I'd be all over that $11,199. More money for accessories :icon10:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
taxman702 said:
Highlands Yamaha in Countryside. I'm a firm believer in the notion that if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Problem is, I have money down for an S at another shop that won't budge on price.

Life was so much simpler before the Raider.....
Highland's is the BEST Yamaha dealer in Chicago. Period. I didn't buy from them (I got too good of a deal with my trade-in so I made out like a bandit) - but I will certainly buy my next bike from them. Everyone I know who owns a Yamaha buys from Highland's.

Their premise is simple... they won't charge you for crate, assembly, shipment, etc. The only thing you're going to pay over what the sticker says is TAX.

They BARELY make money on selling bikes that way... so you're probably wondering why they sell bikes for dirt cheap... I'll say it like the former owner (rest in peace) of the company I work for said it...

"There's not a lot of money in concrete... but... there's a lot of money in a LOT of concrete."

They sell on the cheap - but they are constantly moving bikes out the door - 200 dollar profit x 100 a week vs 600 dollar profit for 20 in the same timeframe is a big difference.

Go buy from them... do it... NAO!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Don't forget...in the long run they make more profit in the service department for those same bikes than in actually selling them. The more you put out the door the more they see back in 600 miles, 4000 miles, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I bought the first Raider sold at Highlands last month - Red-S. Good people. You won't go wrong. $13,200 out the door.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Ninja-Matic said:
taxman702 said:
Highlands Yamaha in Countryside. I'm a firm believer in the notion that if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Problem is, I have money down for an S at another shop that won't budge on price.

Life was so much simpler before the Raider.....
Highland's is the BEST Yamaha dealer in Chicago. Period. I didn't buy from them (I got too good of a deal with my trade-in so I made out like a bandit) - but I will certainly buy my next bike from them. Everyone I know who owns a Yamaha buys from Highland's.

Their premise is simple... they won't charge you for crate, assembly, shipment, etc. The only thing you're going to pay over what the sticker says is TAX.

They BARELY make money on selling bikes that way... so you're probably wondering why they sell bikes for dirt cheap... I'll say it like the former owner (rest in peace) of the company I work for said it...

"There's not a lot of money in concrete... but... there's a lot of money in a LOT of concrete."

They sell on the cheap - but they are constantly moving bikes out the door - 200 dollar profit x 100 a week vs 600 dollar profit for 20 in the same timeframe is a big difference.

Go buy from them... do it... NAO!!!!!
Ninja, not to mention their accessories and especially apparell are quite impressive. I go there every few weeks just to see if they have shirts, jackets, hats, etc...and I drive from N.W. Indiana.

KK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
I paid msrp in northeast ohio for a black raider but the dealer gave me retail for my trade in which only had 900 miles. That was a good deal I thought. I heard of guys getting black raiders a whole lot cheaper but I don't know their circumstances. Remember that when the dealer adds things together he must subtract the allowance for your trade in ...then figure the sales tax on the remainder of the price else you could pay hundreds of dollars more and the dealer gets all that in his pocket. Watch for this because it happens all the time and most people don't catch it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Is this why we call them STEALERS? PERSONALLY I WOULD LIKE IT MORE IF I COULD ORDER IT FROM THE FACTORY TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN. THEN I THINK WE COULD ALSO RELY ON TRAINED SERVICE STAFF NOT BOYS LEARNING TO WORK ON BIKES. JUST MY TWO CENTS...NOT MEANING TO OFFEND ANYONE.

RAVEN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Thanks to Luke from Raider Performance and his suggestion, I did a dealer search from the Yamaha/Star website and sent a group email. This list included dealers from the entire southeast quadrant of Wisconsin and a few from the northeast corner of Illinois. In that email I stated
I’m interested in buying a Star Raider in Tommy Blue. If you haven’t noticed, I’ve sent this email to various dealerships that were actually picked from the Yamaha/Star website. What I need is your BEST quote to earn my business. Time frame for purchase…I like to be signing paperwork by the first weekend in May.
Within hours the numbers were flying and of course, I went with the lowest bidder. Best deal I got was 12k for a Tommy Blue Raider S. It looked like 12 was the best I was I going to get and he would not budge any more off that price BUT I was pretty content and happy with that quote. Hope this helps!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
For all you guys in Southern Calif.
I got my Red S model for $12,313 at North County Yamaha in San Marcos.
Thats before tax and license.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
taxman702 said:
There is one dealer here in the Chicagoland area that is selling the Blue S for $11,199 and the non-S for $11,799. They are the only dealer I'm aware of letting go at this price. I've been to three other dealerships that won't budge on price (and with good reason...they can't keep them on the floor). Would anyone be suspect of this pricing? Could these be crate-damaged bikes that are being sold without a full warranty or is there some other sales tactic?

I don't want to pay more than I need...we're talking about a $1,600 difference in pricing, but I also don't want to get taken either.

THoughts?
JUMP ALL OVER IT!!! Man for $11,199 for a Tommy Blue Raider S...hell yeah...I would be waiting at their front door before they decide to change their minds. Although I'm real skeptical as to why a Raider S is cheaper than the standard model but oh well...GO GET IT!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
:wave:

Hey, I did the email thing like the other apro4X4.. Only one got back to me, but was the best deal as of yet. $12,600 and $13,199 out the door. I have a $200.00 deposit on a black one at another deal and am probably canceling unless they come way down too. If I can get the Red S for $12,600, I would expect to get the black for $11,800. I may loose my $200 (shouldn't, for I never signed anything), but if I do, I will still be ahead. The emails to multiple dealers at one time is Brilliant!

Will see if any more dealer contact me. Damn, now I am back to wanting the Red again. I feel like a woman, so undecided! :) Two weeks and I will be riding again. I sold my last bike last summer and miss it like Hell!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Despite the better pricing on the Blue "S", my first love was and still is the Red "S". Unfortunately, the stealership where I have the deposit on their LAST Red "S" is unwilling to budge on price. He has three people on a waiting list just in case I fall through. Most of the stealers I've talked to in the area only got 2 or 3 Red "S" and they never made it to the showroom floor. I might be crazy for spending the extra cash..who knows. I'm told it should be in within the next week or two, which can't come fast enough.

As an aside, I just finished my MSF course today. It's been 15 years since I last rode and it all came back to me so naturally. I've had a permanent grin the last two days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
luckyjeans said:
:wave:

I may loose my $200 (shouldn't, for I never signed anything), but if I do, I will still be ahead.
The only way you can loose your deposit is if you don't have a receipt for it or if you signed somtehing stipulating that the deposit was non-refundable or if you don't claime it.
Unless the stealer is really a thief you shouldn't have any trouble getting it back.

GC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
I gave my deposit over the phone with a credit card. They have not ran it yet. I guess if they do charge me, I will have to dispute it with the credit card company. I never signed crap! we will see. If they come down off the price, I may get it there, If not, I will get it at the other dealer.

Why I hate Harley dealers. They think they are the only ones that can stick at MSRP. Maybe that is why they are losing sales.. Big turn off for me. If a car dealer would not budge off MSRP, I would be outta there in a flash.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top