i plan to get pipes but the wife will knotice right away so those are on hold
until she calms down about there being a brand new bike in the garage
but a power commander will slip right in unknown ,
any info would be great

·
Registered
826 Posts
LOL
that sounds all to familiar, but i bought new exhaust anyway!!! Now i am sleeping on the couch but at least when i start the bike I smile!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's always better to say "I'm sorry" than to ask permission.
And beside the pipes growl a lot better and nicer.
So go for it!!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm going with the Cobra Fi2000R module.

There is an O2 version (closed loop) but even though our Raiders have O2's - the module listed for our bike is the Fi2000R: http://fi2000r.com/page.php?page=51

Instead of using a laptop, maps, etc to tune your bike on a dyno - you can tune it at home. However - these are usually recommended if you use an aftermarket exhaust and air cleaner/intake.

I don't know if you're going to get much power out of it stock. The bikes run lean from the factory so I suppose a richer mixture will add more power throughout the band... but I would expect more of an increase when coupled with a K&N and aftermarket exhaust.

You can use a K&N for a Stratoliner/Roadliner - K&N lists part number: YA-1906 as a direct replacement for the '08 Raider.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info
now about the cobra (closed loop) system i read on cobras web site that thease were epa friendly and wernt as
good for power but more for having a green freindly bike ( the epa is not for more hp and speed )
i could be wrong but thats what i got out of it

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hadn't heard that but thats interesting to say the least. Ninja, you have any idea on that?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just got this today from Cobra:

"The swept pipes are available now and if you have the 02 sensors and want to
run them go with the Fi-2000R CL for the close loop system. Thanks again for
asking Cobra, ride safe."

So... I'm guessing running the O2's are optional???????? News to me. Herm....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Being new to a fuel injected bike. I've been weighing the option of Closed Loop or not Closed Loop. I spoke with a Tech at COBRA. He pretty much said it's your choise. I was trying to pick his brains on the do's and dont's. What I got in the end was, as I said, it's your choise. I decided that the bike is equiped with O2 sensors, so I'm gonna spend a few extra bucks and get the closed loop.

Say Ninja. Have you gotten any feed back on the K&N filter part number: YA-1906.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hmmm, well i bought the cobra slashdowns but haven't done anything with a BAK yet but have plans to do so, at that time will definatley need fuel management....let me know how you guys fair with the cobra unit. I am all about easy so if it works well I am in.

·
Registered
220 Posts
brian4bes said:
Being new to a fuel injected bike. I've been weighing the option of Closed Loop or not Closed Loop. I spoke with a Tech at COBRA. He pretty much said it's your choise. I was trying to pick his brains on the do's and dont's. What I got in the end was, as I said, it's your choise. I decided that the bike is equiped with O2 sensors, so I'm gonna spend a few extra bucks and get the closed loop.

Say Ninja. Have you gotten any feed back on the K&N filter part number: YA-1906.
Aye. YA-1906 is a GO for our Raiders. I just ordered mine today along with Cobra Swepts (can't wait!) and Fi2000R O2.

I decided to go with the closed-loop, as well. I figure the bike has O2's - might as well use them, lol.

I'm also doing a slight modification to the stock air-box - quite literally opening the top of the box as much as I can for a little bit more airflow. I figure as long as the filter can seal around the edges - I'm good to go. People run BAK's - so this would be a similar setup at the loss of only a few HP (2 is the rumor according to the techs at my dealer) compared to the BAK.

50 bucks for a lifetime filter is a lot less than a few hundred for a BAK. Always have the option to go bigger later on down the line, too.

I'll be posting a "how-to" whenever I get around to receiving my parts - as well as the "pot" positions on Cobra's fuel controller for my particular setup.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Ninja,
that sounds great let us know when your write up is done I look forward to seeing what you do.
Good Luck

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am real interested in that new filter. I was thinking about the BAK, but I cannot seem to justify that much money for only a couple of horsepower. This bike has plenty of power for me. Besides, we do have speed limits in Washington State.

·
Registered
60 Posts
OK so i decided to go with the COBRA swept pipes and ordered them from Brian at powersports...thanks for all the help guys...BUT here is my next question. It seems to me that some are running aftermarket pipes on the Raider, but not using the power commander or the cobra unit. For those of you that are running pipes with the factory closed loop system..how are your bikes running? I dont care if i make more HP or torque, I just wanted louder better looking pipes...so I havent purchased the aftermarket control units. I am curious though if I am going to lose power by running this configuration, and will it run properly? Thanks for any and all help... :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
so does mine ao, but of course it's a Raven. It don't need no artificial stuff.

·
Registered
220 Posts
ao said:
my bike runs fine and it "feels" like it makes a little more power all without a programmer
Our PCM's are designed as a closed-loop - they will automatically adjust the AFR based on carbon output - if your pipes do not have cats - then you might be running even a bit more lean than factory since there are no cats to catch the extra fumes/fuel - the extra flow will increase power.

Pretty much a controller will help adjust your AFR down to the 12's - this will help increase overall rideability, slight power gains, less hesitation and overall much much cooler running temperatures.

We're designed to run hot/lean from factory - so anything to help put the mixture just right and run cooler is a plus, IMO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts