MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im lucky to be here from what the cop said...he said hes never seen a pothole that big or deep.....590S just before the 490E-W split.BLossom overpass..numerous potholes, and i got the biggest one of course..threw my up off the seat and pegs..somehow held on, got on seat feet back on pegs and re-covered from the wobble from hell......and then rear wheel started wobbling bad...managed to get off the expressway to the edge to find a blown tire, badly bent and CRACKED rear wheel!! WTF!!! Im glad i kept the bike up...coulda been worse...way worse...like under the truck behind me. So Im here luckily to bitch about the fact that I havent made my first payment...only put 502 miles on it and now need to get a new wheel and tire. SOOO NEXT QUESTION...will running a 230 give me any extra cushion in the even that this happens with another pothole....this SUCKED SOOO BAD..I WANT TO PREVENT IT at any cost. ALSO I HOPE tHE ALUMINIUM FRAME WAS ABLE TO HANDLE ALL THAT STRESS AND DIDNT DAMAGE....ANY INPUT HELP....I WANNA BEAT SOMEONE WITH A BASEBALL BAT IM SOOOO PISSED. OK i feel better for the moment...thanks for letting me rant.

'The road to Hell is Paved (with potholes) TRY to ride it).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sucks big time. Glad that you were able to hang on.

I have wondered about how vunerable that rear rim is to damage with the low profile tire. I do think a 240 gives some extra protection. Based on the pot hole you encountered, I am not sure that would have been any help.

In our state and county, the Transportation department is liable for than type of damage or accident. Failure to maintain the roads in safe conditions or something like that.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Damn thats sucks but like you said it could have been much, much worse. I don't think a bigger rear tire would prevent that.. The best prevention is as you know avoidance. I came close to one last week also, in fact how I did'nt hit it is baffling. I was following a big truck maybe a little too close and barely had time to swerve. Pretty sure I rolled over the crest of it because if I went straight into it I would have a similar tale to tell.

The shop should check everything on the bike, shock, frame, swingarm etc.

Good job keeping it upright though..Maybe you can get the city to pay your deductible if not the whole expense as it could have killed you. My city sometimes pays for blown car tires because of potholes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NYS DOT doesnt give a rats ass bout us....my insurance is going after the DOT..but they said they rarely get any money out of them...so my 500 dollar deductable is probably gone. :icon_evil: :mad:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Evil - you're a cool dude - screw the rear wheel - I'm glad you're OK. And a special thanks to your riding skills. The outcome could have been much different if it were not for your experience.

Again - wheels can be replaced - EVILTWIN, cannot. Glad you're OK, bro.

To answer your question - I don't know if a 230 would help in that situation - it all depends on the size of the pothole.

Again - glad you're OK.

·
Registered
267 Posts
:agree:
I agree with Ninja. Evil, you must be a hell of a rider to avoid a situation like that, and the only thing that was busted was the wheel? With my experience riding, my a$$ would have been under the truck. Knock on wood. GOD must have been riding right beside you. I am glad you are fine. I am sure you will get the wheel replaced in no time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I beleive it was the 17 years of riding experience, and definitly someone was watching out for me combined. What drives me nuts is that I knew where the holes were, and was in the line where there werent any earlier last week....what it looks like, when I went back to take pics...is that the original hole somehow got about a foot or so wider....maybe a rig or loaded cement truck went over it and broke it up some more...not sure. I would have loved to swerve to miss it but i was going bout 60+ mph and had cars in the right and left lane...so now where to go...so I held it hard and straight and said 'oh [email protected]!' came up off the pegs and seat..and when i came down and killed my arse and the family jewels, i pulled my feet up the best i could so as not to have them hit the pavement....then plopped them on the pegs and worked like hell to correct the bad wobble...then like i said it wobbled less but enough to have me thinking the whole wheel was coming off....looked down to see a flat tire..at that point I just let the momentum keep me going forward..(NO BRAKES or Throttle at this point mind u..that would be BAAD)..and inched over off the road....to then find me sexy rear wheel in a state you can not image...I will try to upload the vid i made right after on the side of the road for documentation. it shows a bit, but what you cant see are the 2 inch crack inside the wheel, on top of the deep dent that you can see. Well got the estimate today..they say between 1000 and 1500...and they are going to check the rest of the bike b4 they make a final decision...yuck...ever seen a grown 36 yr old man cry. LOL. Well not yet...maybe later. BTW NInja...sorry havent gotten back to about hearing the cobras without the baffles...and to the others about posting the pics for the H.I.D headlight i modded and installed...I will do this a.s.a.p when I get the bike back. Thanks for all the kind words from everyone. Keep ya posted..hope the rest of the bike is o.k....crossing fingers.

Aaron

·
Registered
93 Posts
Glad your alive bro! A higher profile tire will definitely protect the rim more in extreme cases, but chances are you hit the mother of all potholes, and that may not have even helped. Like the other gentleman replied, get it inspected after replacement of rear wheel and tire. I always relied on letting go of the handlebars (be sure you do it in a safe manner,with plenty of distance between yourself and other vehicles, hands close to grips for recovery) while gliding in a higher gear, to check the steadiness of the bike's trail. I once slammed my old Suzuki gs700e into a concrete median doing about 30mph, after I lost control coming out of a curve and skidded. I was catapaulted into a mid air somersalt, but felt divine assurance in and around me, as I landed safely in the grass, not in the oncoming traffic, as I had thought in those last few seconds. Afterwards,that bike would veer to one side when I let go of the handlebars. I bent the front forks a bit, but continued to ride that bike for a few more years after. Praise Jesus for his angels to guide you through your situation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.