MBF Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Raider (stock with 2600 miles on it....dealer holdover) decided to start making a "whirring sound" post-start-up when cold.....does not make the sound when at normal temps. Clutch in or out makes no difference and unable to determine if sound is from left or right side? Anyone with similar experience, please share.....thanks.:confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
2012 Raider (stock with 2600 miles on it....dealer holdover) decided to start making a "whirring sound" post-start-up when cold.....does not make the sound when at normal temps. Clutch in or out makes no difference and unable to determine if sound is from left or right side? Anyone with similar experience, please share.....thanks.:confused:
I have an '09 Raider with 24,000 miles on it and it just started doing the same thing I think. Only when cold, and mine makes the noise for about 3 seconds and then stops for a bit and does it again. It stops once it gets warm. I have had my hands all over the engine when it's first started and can feel nothing while the noise is occurring. A change in RPM doesn't seem to change the noise either. I took it to the Yamaha dealer where I bought it in 09 and so far they can't figure out anything. If they come up with anything I'll post it here. They have had it for almost 5 days now and can't test it very long each time because, like yours, the noise goes away when it warms up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an '09 Raider with 24,000 miles on it and it just started doing the same thing I think. Only when cold, and mine makes the noise for about 3 seconds and then stops for a bit and does it again. It stops once it gets warm. I have had my hands all over the engine when it's first started and can feel nothing while the noise is occurring. A change in RPM doesn't seem to change the noise either. I took it to the Yamaha dealer where I bought it in 09 and so far they can't figure out anything. If they come up with anything I'll post it here. They have had it for almost 5 days now and can't test it very long each time because, like yours, the noise goes away when it warms up.
To make matters worse, the issue is not consistent.......today, not a peep! Thanks for your reply and good luck with the analysis.

·
Registered
23 Posts
To make matters worse, the issue is not consistent.......today, not a peep! Thanks for your reply and good luck with the analysis.

So today the dealer said it is no longer making the noise and I should come pick it up. This bothers me but I guess there's nothing else to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So today the dealer said it is no longer making the noise and I should come pick it up. This bothers me but I guess there's nothing else to do.
Thanks for your reply.....the saga continues.......one more bit of info: today, I used a stopwatch to quantify the "frequency" of the noise and as best as I can determine, it occurs a approximately 1/2 engine idle speed (+/- 330-430 rpm). I just need to determine what gear reduced component revolves at that speed........film at eleven.......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for your reply.....the saga continues.......one more bit of info: today, I used a stopwatch to quantify the "frequency" of the noise and as best as I can determine, it occurs a approximately 1/2 engine idle speed (+/- 330-430 rpm). I just need to determine what gear reduced component revolves at that speed........film at eleven.......
So it made the same old noise the next day. I took it back to the dealer. After another few days they called Yamaha and were told to check the headlight. They replaced the bulb and the noise is gone. I don't understand how what I took for a dry (unlubed) bearing noise was caused by a burned out light bulb. But it's gone!!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
So it made the same old noise the next day. I took it back to the dealer. After another few days they called Yamaha and were told to check the headlight. They replaced the bulb and the noise is gone. I don't understand how what I took for a dry (unlubed) bearing noise was caused by a burned out light bulb. But it's gone!!
If the charging system is not under full load it will cause the stator to make noise.....don't know why but it does.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My Raider started the same noise and my head light dims when it happens? The head light and high beam are working, Once, a few years back, my head light burned and the noise started, I was told that the circuit was broken because of the burned head light, changed the head light and the noise stopped .

·
American Legion Rider
28 Posts
If there are any mechanics on this, it would be beneficial if any of you that are experiencing this problem, could upload a YouTube video. They might be able to pin point what is causing it. Being new here I'm just not sure what kind of members are here. But I know this would help if you could do it. (y)

·
Registered
14 Posts
My Raider started the same noise and my head light dims when it happens? The head light and high beam are working, Once, a few years back, my head light burned and the noise started, I was told that the circuit was broken because of the burned head light, changed the head light and the noise stopped .
Here is a link to the video:

·
American Legion Rider
28 Posts
Took me a bit to hear it. Not likely both of you that are experiencing this issue might have changed to a different oil shortly before this started but did you? That’s just my first thought but will be asking for help to try to get you an answer.

·
American Legion Rider
28 Posts
One helpful person says this little clutch part could possibly make that noise...

·
American Legion Rider
28 Posts
Anyone else care to chime in. Might need all the brain power we can muster to solve this. (y)

·
American Legion Rider
28 Posts
My source says it's called a Sprag bearing. It must be a rather common failure point is all I can suggest.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Took me a bit to hear it. Not likely both of you that are experiencing this issue might have changed to a different oil shortly before this started but did you? That’s just my first thought but will be asking for help to try to get you an answer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No oil change lately, I did change the head light bulb today and the noise is still there. It seems to fade out as the bike warms up ??? Thanks for looking into it ! I also had a USB device hooked up directly to the battery, took it out, same noise results, running out of ideas ......

·
American Legion Rider
28 Posts
It must be that sprag bearing the. Which means you or the dealer get to go inside to take a look.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It must be that sprag bearing the. Which means you or the dealer get to go inside to take a look.
It was suggested that, while the bike is cold, the noise is more evident, possibly once the engine warms up things expand with heat, so, the idea is that maybe a bad ground connection somewhere while cold and then the connection re-establish itself as it expands. Now where would that bad ground connection is? That's the question. I drove for 1/2 hour to get to my mechanic and sure enough once there, not one single time did the noise show up, Damn ! Next morning, start the bike and there it is again with the dimming head light as it happens. It seems to make sense to me as the noise is the same as when my head light bulb burned out. All other light are working properly ...

·
Registered
14 Posts
It was suggested that, while the bike is cold, the noise is more evident, possibly once the engine warms up things expand with heat, so, the idea is that maybe a bad ground connection somewhere while cold and then the connection re-establish itself as it expands. Now where would that bad ground connection is? That's the question. I drove for 1/2 hour to get to my mechanic and sure enough once there, not one single time did the noise show up, Damn ! Next morning, start the bike and there it is again with the dimming head light as it happens. It seems to make sense to me as the noise is the same as when my head light bulb burned out. All other light are working properly ...
Something is breaking(intermittent) the electrical circuit, I think. Looking at what other are experiencing with LED lights and other modifications to the electrical circuit and they get the same result, that damn noise.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts