MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so today I go for a nice ride. It's about 65 degrees out today.
I'm kind of on some wide open back roads. really easy to open it up.
I'm behind a HD V-Rod. Suppose to be so fast. hmmmmmmm

We both make a right turn up a nice long hill and he opens his up, I wasn't paying attention, just saw him disappear.
So I speed up a bit and see him now. Fine.
Now the next right, I want to turn off. He's ahead of me and makes the same right.
He noticed how I caught up with him going up the hill.
So he makes his right turn, and I can see his body hunched over, and really cranking on the throttle.
He's gunning it. So I thought.... what will this beautiful Raider S of mine do?
I lean forward and hit the throttle. I caught up to him so fast, I almost hit him! I had to actually swerve around him!
I shot by him so fast, I think it stunned both of us!
In a matter of seconds, my speedometer read 110.
Amazing! I knew it would be fast, I had no idea it would/could embarrass a V-Rod so bad!

I definitely picked the right bike!

What's your performance story?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Vintage.
Me too.
Running 35 being the nice boy that I am in keeping with the law in my small town (I bought the cop the portable radar gun he uses so I know he can gun me) and all of a sudden I felt the need to punch it.
I don't know what came over me.
I run from 2nd through the gears to 5th and was running 110 right out of the shoot so fast I thought I was only
going 80.
Backed it down real quick.
Was way too close to town.

Fastest my Boulevard M50 was 100 and didn't want to push that 805cc much.

Raider is quick, fast and has the guts to keep it up.

A friend of mine just picked up a Honda Shadow Arrow 2002 with an 1100 in it.
All he can muster is 85 before the rev limiter shuts him down.
He thought it was carburation. A Honda mechanic said no, it's limiting out.

What a pooch.

Oh well, no need to run that fast anyway.

Keep it on the road though.

Best,
Ken

·
Registered
826 Posts
No shock to me really, check this review out when you have time it has some very good objective and ubiased reviews of our bike vs. the Rocker and Vegas.
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/mainstream-chopper-shootout-69801.html

I can't seem to find it right now but I was reading someplace that listed 1/4 mile times of a bunch of bikes and theRaider was only .01 slower than the 2008 HD VRSC Night Rod. Wish I could find it! If some1 knows where I might of seen that I would like to look again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well here's my story.

I put on my boots, laced them and put my gloves on. On the way out the door, I grabbed my glasses and key. It was very cold outside, but I dreamt of sun and 85 degrees. As I walked across my back yard, my boots crunched on the frozen grass and the small amount of snow that had yet to melt. I opened the bike shed and cursed as the ice hit my face, within seconds though I was smiling.
I turned the light on and there she was, hiding under her cover. Naughty girl was trying to hide from me. I lifted up the cover and took in the beauty of her rear fender curves and shiny jewelry like exhaust. A little more reveal and 113 inches of raw power. I wiped my mouth and completely removed the cover. I smiled again and my heart raced.
After folding the cover up and putting it on the shelf, I turned to her almost speechless. Wild and loud thoughts ran through my mind. I closed the shed door behind me thinking of the fun I was about to have. I walked up beside her and put the key in, lifted my right leg and straddled her. My mind went into euphoria and away we went.

I started out early, early for me anyway, hitting I-55 south around 8:45 am, it was already 45 degrees out. A couple of pothole dodging and whizzing by big trucks and then onto I-80 west to exit 105. Took that south and caught Rte 6 west, passing thru Seneca on my way to Fat Daddy's in Marseilles to meet my brother, a cousin and two friends. We had a couple of beers and head out west on Rte 6 again. The Raider started out in the rear, as usual. The other four rode, "the same engine, yet individual bikes" and they always want to be out front. We were heading to Poopy's in Savanna, IL. I knew there would be plenty of opportunities to take the lead, as we were going there taking the back roads only.
Sure enough, about a half an hour into our ride, stop sign and I pulled up to the front. My brother sitting on his fxabcdefg3 sat confidently next to me. He looked over and revved it twice. I smiled and nodded no need to rev as I have fuel injection and a quiet stock exhaust. He launched and then I saw him in my right mirror. It happened so fast, I felt like I was being pulled of the back of the bike by large invisible hands. I could hear his bike "Screaming" like an "Eagle" in a cage that is just to small. At about 120, I let up and waited for him to catch up. I smiled at him and we let our bikes slow down to a more reasonable cruising speed.
Then it happened again about 45 minutes later, another stop sign and my cousin. He went thru the same revving routine and I smiled. I went through the gears as fast as my sweaty left hand an foot would let me, all the while wishing that I had that air shifter thingy on her but, she and I held up pretty well. My cousin's bike, well I don't know what happened to him maybe it is because he is a "Fat Boy" and his weight to hp ratio is out of sync, but I never really felt like he was much of a challenge. Strange because it's the same engine with the same mods as my brothers
Our mutual friends have baggers from an "Ultra Classic", a k a "very outdated", era of engineering. They tired, err tried to, too keep up with the modern beast from the far east. It was like a cat and mouse game or more appropriately a hungry pirate slaying a fat old pig. I smiled a lot. Many more times I let the oldest form of measurement dominate at will. What I felt was the fine "tuning" of power, handling and art. It was beauty and the beast in one, over a fat tattooed sow. All that riding had my stomach yearning for pork chops, or ham and eggs, or a blt.
We pulled into Poopy's, me on my quiet Raider leading the way. We all parked and then came the stares from strangers and the glares from four guys who did not like the look of the stock tail light assembly. They tried to point that out, and the fact that it was not one of those rarely seen and very individual bikes that proclaim, “It is all about the experience.” I wonder if it is the experience of seeing my stock tail light, not hearing me but seeing me pass them by, or that I always buy the next round and the next one too, etc. Well like I said, they tried to point that out but nobody was listening to them. Instead, they asked many questions. I told them about how this bike just loves to spin the wheel when you hit second and twice it did it when I hit fourth. They looked on in disbelief, my friends nodded in disgust. I regaled them with facts about its handling and power, of how it metaphorically pulled you in as it attempted to push you off during acceleration, threw you into the curves while holding you with exhilaration. They were spellbound and mesmerized. Then they, they being the strangers, asked me, "Why didn't you get a Har..." I cut them off.
What brand of TV do you have? I asked. My brother over there has a 65 inch in his living room and a 55 inch in his basement, both are hooked up to dvd players, surround sound systems and playstation 2, all of that cost more than my bike and it is all Japanese. Those two, I pointed to my other friends, between the two of them they have about 8 flat screen hdtv systems compete with everything, dvds, games, speakers, you name it and it is all Japanese, all costing way more than probably two of your bikes. I pointed into the crowd and asked how many dare raise their hand and tell us if they drive a foreign car, wear shoes made in Taiwan, clothes, electronics, household goods, etc. etc. "Its okay for you to buy those items and I'm sure you can explain it away, but somehow I am wrong to want to get the best I can for my money. Yeah it's not that kind of bike." I pointed to my brothers bike. "But neither is your TV or your car or your wet suit that was made in black and orange with a bar and shield on the left breast and a tag on the inside that reads Made in Indonesia. I know this as I was the first one to wear it after my brother bought it."
Most hung there heads and walked away. One fellow walked up to me and said "Are you sure it's not a Har..." I cut him off too.
"Yes, and I never want it to be." I said.
I continued "I really don't even like it being compared to one."
He looked at me oddly and said "You don't"
"Would you compare a new BMW to a Ford Pinto?" I asked.
"No" He responded.
"Is your TV, your wife’s car, and your car American made?" I asked.
"No" He said again. He reached out and shook my hand, smiled, shook his head yet again and walked away. The back of his vest read "Buy American".

I walked over to my brother and bought the next round, and the next. We all changed the subject, laughed a lot, ate and generally had a good time for the next several hours. We then walked casually to our bikes donning our riding gear and deciding which way to get home. To the highway, time to get home quickly before the sun went down. I asked if I could lead the way this time. They all laughed and said sure, your gonna end up in front anyway!

Well by the time I had returned home I had put somewhere between 150 to 200 miles on or maybe more, not to sure. I do know that I smiled a lot that day, felt a very powerful rush every time I hit second thru fifth, and I truly enjoyed talking to those that couldn't believe it wasn't their "Brand". It sure is going to be nice when it finally warms up around here.

The cold air finally made me uncomfortable even though we were not moving. My memory chased away by reality. I made revving sounds and twisted the throttle. Then I did it a little quieter, I have fuel injection and quiet pipes after all.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
eian31 said:
I can't seem to find it right now but I was reading someplace that listed 1/4 mile times of a bunch of bikes and theRaider was only .01 slower than the 2008 HD VRSC Night Rod. Wish I could find it! If some1 knows where I might of seen that I would like to look again.
Way quicker than a Night Rod, .01 tic slower than an M109
http://raiderperformance.com/bragging.htm

·
Registered
18 Posts
three guys i always ride with
timmy=03 HD softail standard 96 CI
dave=03 HD fatboy 96 CI
josh=RC components chopper 113 CI turbo HD
we went 2 go ridin from where i live here in clarksburg,tn to clarksville,tn
bout 100 miles each way all the way there i stomped timmy an dave bike lik it was nutn an they r the kinda guys that nutns eva beta then a harley especially not some yamaha the only one out of the group that always beat me is josh an until his spools up i can wear him out but u cant expect to do much against a turboed 113 lol

·
Registered
826 Posts
NJRaider said:
eian31 said:
Way quicker than a Night Rod, .01 tic slower than an M109
http://raiderperformance.com/bragging.htm
Thanks Luke, I knew I read that somewhere and for the life of me could not remember where. Great Information.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've hopped on my bike a few times - but never for more than short spurts of awesomeness. Still on the "break in" portion of everything.

Haven't even spun the tires yet. Some peeps say you can just by WOT at slow speeds without dumping the clutch... tried it once... didn't hear anything.

Is my Raider broke? Or is there a limiter set? I know some bikes have them so that you don't get all the fuel you need until X miles are on the bike... any stories?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts