MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am struggling with a decision on which bike to buy. I actually have a Harley Cross Bones being held with a $500.00 deposit. Love the bike. With Passenger seat, sissy bar and Rush Slip-ons and all other dealer crap, tags and taxes, out the door it is $19,300. I really like the Rocker, but at $20,000 base (whew), well I am paying cash and do not have that much

I then read the the article in Motocycle.Com.
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/mainstream-chopper-shootout-69801.html
This article impressed the hell out of me!!! It blew the Rocker and the Victory out of the water. Plus, I love the Raiders look and of course the price. Now, I a re-thinking the 'Cross Bones". I will save over $4,000 buying the Raider and the Raider is better in many many ways. I can use the $4,000 in other ways :)

Okay. Now my issue. I really try to buy products made in the USA. I hate all of our jobs going to other countries. I feel guilty about changing my mind and getting the Raider. Though, I read that the designers are out of California which is very cool!

So, anyone out there in Raider land want to ease my guilt?

Cross Bones or Raider?

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Hey Lucky -

One red-blooded American to another, I absolutely respect your desire to support your fellow countrymen. Keeping that in mind think of it this way:
-When you purchase your Raider, you will buy it from an American dealership, supporting him
-When you get it serviced, most likely the tech will be an American, and you'll be contributing to his job
-When you buy accessories, most of the stuff we put on our bikes is designed and manufactured here in the US
-The aftermarket companies are owned and ran by your fellow citizens
-The sales tax you pay when you guy it goes to the US treasury...
etc....

Also, like you stated, the Raider was designed here.

Consider this - how many of the integral components of HD bikes are designed and manufactured overseas? Fuel injection, electrical components, tires, etc...

You'll love the Raider. Take the money you save, and purchase some killer accessories. ;)

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
While it is true that HD is an American company, you'd be surprised how many foreign made parts make up their bikes. I'd go with the Raider hands down. Price, performance, reliability and more. Did I mention performance?

The only downside is you can't by Harley pants, Harley boots, Harley shirts, Harley bandannas, Harley belts, Harley trucks, Harley pins, Harley snowglobs and Harley Christmas ornaments. :'(

If American made is the only option for you I'd go with a Victory over a Harley anyday of the week. Still I think the Raider is the one for you.

D.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Luckyjeans.
There is no choice to be made here. Harley= great product. Star Raider=the most awesome ride you can have and not be in a rocket ship.
I rode today and finally dropped a peg on the road. Wow! This bike rocks.
I love the twisties. If you like running fast in a straight line, twisting at any speed, floating on air and launching with so much power under your back side, then the Raider is for you.
If you want a pooch, well......buy something else.

The Raider is top notch performance in a chopper styled bike. It's not for the squeamish. If you don't like to lean or don't like power then get one of those Harley scooters. Not bashing Harley mind you, anything less than this is LESS.

Go ride one. Take it out and run it. You will understand.

I've said my peace, now go get your deposit back and let us know which color Raider you bought!

Best!

Enjoy!!

Ken

·
Registered
373 Posts
Here's something else to think about: So called American made companies like Ford And Harley Davidson have spent the last thirty years moving all their factories out of the US and outsourcing manufacturing, claiming they can't make money paying American wages.

So called Foreign companies like Toyota and Yamaha, have spent the last thirty years building more plants inside the US.

So when you say you want ot buy American made, you are just as likely to get american made with a foreign brand as you are with an American brand.

·
Registered
326 Posts
well if its got 2 wheels i like, but if i have to pay for it i want all i can get for my hard, and i mean hard, earned dollar and that total package is the raider. more power more chrome and better handleing than a harley ;D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just an FYI, lucky... You can start calling Harley-Davidson - HONDA-Davidson.

That's pretty much the reason you went from having to wait 2 years for a Harley to just walking in and buying one off the showroom floor.

Who do you think taught Harley how to make a motor that won't leak oil after 50 miles? Who do you think helped design the new motors used in these "Harley's"?

HD = Honda-Davidson.

I'm all for American-Made bikes... which you should be happy to know the Raider was DESIGNED by American engineers.

You can't buy any vehicle that hasn't been touched by a EU/JAP company or one that doesn't contain parts from overseas.

The whole "American Tradition" thing has gone out the window.

The V-Rod? Made by Porsche :D

The only people people paying money for a Harley are the one's that: A) Don't know any better B) Refuse to believe the truth C) Like spending more money for inferior products.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, I so much appreciate the feedback. I feel so much better. Now, I wonder if I can get my $500.00 back from the Harley Dealer? I never signed anything? Now I have to decide on the Base Raider / Raider S. I am leaning toward the Black one, though Red is Hot! I like the Cobra Drag Pipes so may go with them.

Thank You so much!!! I realy appreciate your help!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hope you buy the Raider, It will be the right choice. Also when someone puts down for buying a Jap bike. All you have to is ask the what kind of TV, Radio,DVD Player, cell phone,and so on and so on they have at home. 99% of these items are made oversea's.

We live in a Global Economy so buying imported stuff these days does not hurt American jobs. It helps to keep some people working. The guy how unloads the Ship, the guy who huals over the road and so on till it is in your hands.

So don't feel guilty for buying a import. I did and also took a few bullets for my country. (God Bless America)

Big Blue
Joe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Big Blue said:
We live in a Global Economy so buying imported stuff these days does not hurt American jobs. It helps to keep some people working. The guy how unloads the Ship, the guy who huals over the road and so on till it is in your hands.
Could not agree more! I work in shipping myself and if Americans did not import stuff from overseas, I might not have a job that enables me to buy a Raider after I finish my Rider's Edge course this weekend. So just because it's not American made does not mean it's not keeping Americans gainfully employed. I may not be making a product in an American factory, but importing products made in foreign factories creates a different kind of domestic job nonetheless.

·
Registered
273 Posts
luckyjeans
My wife and I own a "Handmade in America" woodworking business. I hate competing against Chinese imports, which is our primary competition. My last bike was a Harley Davidson. I did my own maintenance. I was amazed at how many metric parts were on it. I went to trade it in on a new Harley and then I thought, why, I love the Raider and it is $7000.00 less than the Rocker C.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too have been looking between hd fat bob and the raider.
1st harley dealer i was there 20min. before i had to walk up and get the salesmen's attention (as they were standing talking to each other). I asked to see one and they sent me back with a wash boy to see a sold one. I went 2 other dealers that won't even let you take a test ride. How do they expect to sell to someone that has never had a hd?
Needless to say i stopped at the star dealer and they asked when they need to have it ready for me to test. I went today.
Not quite the power of the old m109 but a very nice ride!
I'm thinking i have to pick a color now. ;D

·
Registered
530 Posts
That Crossbones is a cool look that kinda grows on ya.. I know it's a tough decision as I just made a similar one myself although the 2 bikes were more alike (Raider and Softail Custom) In the end I went with the Raider and love it but I don't think I would have been regretting it if I had went with the HD either. Just make a list of pro's and cons and go with it. Let us know what you get and whatever it is ride safe and have a blast.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.