MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Anyone know if there is an oil cooler available for the Raider?

Cheers,

Scooter

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Not that I know of. There are several coolers on the market, Pro-One billet, etc. Any one would work. Just need a diverter to get the oil to and from the cooler. Barons has one for the 16/1700 Roadstar, but nothing for the Raider.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was wondering that myself. Since the motor is the same as the Road/Stratoliner, would the oil cooler from that work? There are some mounts on the Raider frame in about the same spot as the Strato oil cooler. I'll try and make it out to the bike shop today and see if I can measure the mounts for a comparison.

I looked at the parts like on Yamaha's web page. I wonder if you got Strato oil filter system and the oil cooler if it would bolt right up.

they don't open for 1 1/2 hours but I'l' run out and look.

·
Registered
157 Posts
well, I looked at the Strato and did some measurements (took some photos also) and the mount holes are the same in the frame cradle. It looks like just unbolting the old and bolting the new on. I think I will be waiting a little on this. The manager and I figured out what I would need. $641. I think I can wait for some aftermarket cooler.

Later

Coyote

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys,

Thanks for your posts on the oil cooler. I did see an article on the Bucks finned filter protector...I thiink I'll try that, at least as a short term solution. It's also interesting to note the Stratoliner oil cooler may fit the raider too.

Cheers,

Scooter

·
Registered
67 Posts
Posted on another Forum, but applicable here as well:

"How about this? Run the bike until the oil temp stabilizes, stop, and stick a long meat thermometer in the oil filler hole...I don't recall the exact number I got, but when I checked my former Stratoliner it was under 200 deg...the 2008 Liner and Raider manual list the acceptable range as 176-194 deg F.

Let's test and post for the Raider, and I'll also suggest this on another Forum with a similar thread.

Gary in Fairbanks"

·
Registered
82 Posts
setrab is a "real" oil cooler.many different sizes. plumbed w/ a/n fittings. jagg makes oil filter adapter that fits between motor and filter. you'll have find a comparable usa filter as jagg doesn't do metric adapter(or didn't in past). the finned covers over filter are just high priced heat sinks. plenty of down tube clamps out there to fab a mount with.---------and all won't add up to $650.--john

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quite a few Road Star riders have measured a 20 degree reduction in oil temperature with the finned
heat sink.. It also protects the oil filter from stone damage.

Buck

·
Registered
67 Posts
I ran my bike about 25 miles fairly hard yesterday at 65 deg F, and stuck a meat thermometer in the oil tank filler hole as soon as I got home...the oil was 170 deg F, and at the bottom end of Yamaha's recommended 176-194 deg range...Buck's filter cover would work fine for me.

Next I'll see what it is after some traffic and slow running...It's easy now that I own a meat thermometer and my wife gets a new one.

Gary in Fairbanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sleepercell said:
Need to see how this mounts and see if we can mod it. its designed for HD bikes :( but looks cool :)
I'm not sure a chrome plated oil cooler is a good idea. It may look 'cool', but I bet if it was flat black it would be cool! Surface area and radiation are the keys to cooling efficiency.

Cheers,

Scooter

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ya Flat black would be cool as well but would not look good on the fastest of all raiders the Red S. I don't believe that chrome would affect he dissipation because S and S Chromes there motors and they don't have an overheat problem
:kboom:

G

·
scooter said:
Hey Guys,

Anyone know if there is an oil cooler available for the Raider?

Cheers,

Scooter
I bought all the pieces from a Yamaha dealer. Just ordered it for a Roadliner and it mounts perfect and works well. I needed it with the big bore kit I added and the new heads I added but I do think it’s a good idea no matter what on an air cooled engine

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sleepercell said:
Ya Flat black would be cool as well but would not look good on the fastest of all raiders the Red S. I don't believe that chrome would affect he dissipation because S and S Chromes there motors and they don't have an overheat problem
:kboom:
Do you Raider S guys apply lipstick to your sickles...LOL. Don't S&S motors break down alot, if they are fitted in anything but a pretty bike?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought all the pieces from a Yamaha dealer. Just ordered it for a Roadliner and it mounts perfect and works well. I needed it with the big bore kit I added and the new heads I added but I do think it’s a good idea no matter what on an air cooled engine
[/quote]

Any chance you could supply the parts list...I'm in the US at the moment (live in Thailand and it gets pretty hot there - 35-40 degrees C [95-106 degrees F) and I could buy the necessary while I'm here.

Big Bore kit and heads...tell us more...

Thanks...

·
Registered
82 Posts
scooter--"real" oil cooler ---very wise mod for your motor upgrade! a handlebar oil gauge might be even better for just a little more $$. john

1 - 17 of 17 Posts