MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have already changed your oil you found out there are THREE drain plugs and one easy to get at oil filter.
I changed mine at 500 miles to Ams-Oil 20/50 V- Twin motorcycle oil. Full syntic. The books says it holds 4.2 quarts I read full at 5 quarts :eek:. I'm not trying to be a sells person for Ams-Oil BUT I have had many bikes and no engine problems. It gets warm here in Arizona in the summer, 128 on the warmer days.

·
Registered
326 Posts
i work with a guy that rides a big air cooled harley and he swears by that stuff he says hes run it in every bike hes had and the engines run cooler even on the water cooled bikes he said the fan never came on and quieter also just no where to buy that stuff around here without ordering it

·
Registered
8 Posts
have you check the oil after u ride it around the block. i have work on many big twin yamahas and you don't get a true reading tell its ran for a while. so i dont want u having problems with to much oil.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Excellent advice from tofast...

Checking the oil on these bikes is definitely different from the old days when you simply rolled the bike out of the garage, stood it off the stand and checked the sight glass on the crank case.

The manual specifically says that the bike has to be warmed up, then turned off and let sit for several (I think it says 5) minutes before you check the level.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm curious, waiting for the service manual so jumping the gun with this question, but what about the use of oils with friction modifiers? On my wings Honda spells out in know uncertain terms that oil with FM is verboten.

Since the Raider has a wet clutch, wouldn't the same apply?

·
Registered
326 Posts
i changed mine yesterday and then rode about 60 miles and it also read full at excactly 5 quarts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts