MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flipping through the Star accessories catalogue I couldn't help but notice there are tons of OEM accessories for the legacy bikes. Obviously not much yet for the Raider being new. Is there there really any difference between OEM and aftermarket other than the manufacturer? I'm new to customizing and not really sure what will work or not work. Also, how long typically for new accessories to come out (I need to do some budgeting..) That aside, here is my wish list:

1. Chromed rims/pulley...
2. Chrome engine guards
3. Chrome upper/lower belt guards
4. Chrome swing arm cover to hide rear axel.

·
Registered
499 Posts
taxman702 said:
Flipping through the Star accessories catalogue I couldn't help but notice there are tons of OEM accessories for the legacy bikes. Obviously not much yet for the Raider being new. Is there there really any difference between OEM and aftermarket other than the manufacturer? I'm new to customizing and not really sure what will work or not work. Also, how long typically for new accessories to come out (I need to do some budgeting..) That aside, here is my wish list:
Here's whats currently available.

1. Chromed rims/pulley...
http://performanceedge.us/
2. Chrome engine guards
http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelsubcontaineritems/5/587/2045/16055/2008/0/1.aspx
3. Chrome upper/lower belt guards
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Raider-Chrome-Upper-belt-guard_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35580QQihZ017QQitemZ270223631034QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
4. Chrome swing arm cover to hide rear axel.
http://www.mortonscustom.com/raideracc.html

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
First - you're right about the selection based on the model being new - it's always the case - the longer the bike is out, the longer the aftermarket has to catch up.

Differences between OEM and other? There's certainly pros and cons on both sides. With OEM, you going to get parts engineered specifically for the bike, which are guaranteed to fit and have the same quality as the original machine.
On the down side, backorders and shipping delays are a BIG problem right now. Also, the OEM rarely provides the same variety and selection of custom parts that the rest of the aftermarket can, Yamaha/Star has ONE optional exhaust for the Raider, the aftermarket has already provided more than ten (granted, some you wouldn't put on your lawnmower).
Regardless for how long the bike has been out, there are certain parts that the OEM will never come out with.

To add a little twist, keep in mind that many of the "OEM" accessories actually come from aftermarket companies, i.e. the Yamaha accessory windshields for the Raider are actually made by National Cycle.

Pros for the aftermarket - huge selection of option, again, some of which will never come from the OEM. Prices are almost always certainly better. Compare Yamaha's SpeedStar Drag Pipes at list price $797 to Cobra's Speedster Slashdowns at $590 list. There are many more sources for non-OEM, and the parts are almost always in stock somewhere.
On the downside, there is always a question of quality in the aftermarket. Any problems can be avoided by sticking with those companies that are reputable, and by participating in forums like ours where the opinions are as plentiful as the parts on the market.

Where to get your wish list (this list is not exclusive by any means)
1 - Performance Edge
2 - Cobra - two different sizes
3 - PE again, though certainly check Ebay.
4 - Morton's

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the lesson. I've learned a lot on this forum and I appreciate all the advice and tips from everyone. I'll probably do a little at a time...it took me long enough to convince the warden to let me get the bike in the first place, I hate to see how she would react if I told her I wanted to spend a few thousand more.

Yesterday I was able to get out on the road (as opposed to the 1 mile loop in my neighborhood). I put on a whopping 25 miles. I know...big deal....but so far its the best 25 miles I rode. The first opportunity I have (hopefully this Saturday) I'll get her out in the country for some real riding.

Again, thanks for the tips..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.