MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking that if we can't get an easier way to post pics on my bike forums that maybe we should move the forum to somewhere else. I mean I know how to do it but if a guy just wants to show something but has to go and learn, then sign up for some on online photo posting service, then figure out the url for that pic and then post it to his message.
This is 2008 and this not be this way.
Does anyone agree with me?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK,
So no one agrees with me...ok, I love talking with you guys but just go take a look at the RSWarrior forum or any other forums. Many of them just allow you to say "add photo" and go to your computer and pick photo.
I will drop the subject it thats the way it is.
It's just that most guys are not posting pics even after other guy ask them to and I think it's because is such a pain in the rear!
Thanks for letting me vent.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Vent away Desert, I'm with ya.. I'm not much of a computer guy. I can look up bikes and boobs :icon_wink:. I finally set up a photobucket account and everything is good now. This is a great forum and getting better.

Brian

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you run a website. Most providers of intenet service allow you to create a free website just make a web page and copy the url to your post. that way it isnt sitting around on someone elses server and when your done with it you control when its removed as you just delete it from you storage. That is what I do.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks Brian, I asked Desert to come to chat room to help him out to access photo bucket, he refused. I work in a IT department and I can understand some people afraid of computers or they don't have enough knowledge to get around.

There are lot of ways around the common problems. Creators of this forum were nice enough to put a lot of work for people like you and me to have a place to share our views. These things take time and effort, hardware has limited space and if every one load their pictures, in a short time they will run out of space. As a result you will see slow down and would be inconvenient for every one.

Posting the pictures some where else and link to them, would take less space and help to manage this web site easier and more organized.

Any one have problem posting their pictures, pls PM me and I'll be more than happy to help you set an account on photo bucket.
Safe Riding every one.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blue Angel don't take my not need your help the wrong way. I work in the IT department of a Hospital so I didn't really need your help, I was just trying to make a point that I feel you still don't get
thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think everybody get it just fine!!!
And most agree that it's a pain to post pictures. I have yet to post a single picture yet because of the hassle. But I don't mind it.

Bottom line is that most of us like what we have here.
I've learned that whenever I don't like something or simply not comfortable with the way things are done at a place. I simply go somewhere else and that's the end of it.

I'm sure there's plenty of Raider forums out there for every taste.

GC

·
Registered
826 Posts
I understand both sides here. Yes it would be nice if I could link directly from my hard drive to an image with out a hosting site, but then the forum would suffer because it would be hosting all these images for us as well. I agree it's a pain in the ass especially if you just want to through something up quickly, but i beleive it is probably a necessary evil at this point. Can't we all just get along!! :icon10:

·
Registered
499 Posts
The reason there are Harley's, is because people like Harley's.
The reason there are Yamaha's is because people like Yamaha's.

Not only is it impractical for a web site to be "all things to all people" its also impossible.

I know... I've been it I.T. for 35+ years....

If you like a Harley then, buy a Harley.
If you like a Yamaha then, buy a Yamaha.

Don't buy a Yamaha and then complain that it's not a Harley.

If this site is not what you're looking for... go find your Harley (metaphorically).

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Boy, there are some reactive dudes here. "If you don't like this forum go some where else."
I simply was hoping to make things better and since that didn't work why can't we just move on!

·
Registered
826 Posts
desert raider,
everything is cool man! Don't take the comments the wrong way sometimes people just get a bit animated. You are a welcome addition to the forum and you have already had some great ideas that I have put to use.

·
Registered
499 Posts
What I said was not meant in a "mean spirited" way.

If that is the way it came across... I sincerely apologize.

It was not my intent.

I simply meant that there is good & bad about every web site. We weigh the pros & cons... then make a choice

Again... I apologize.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Desert - what you need to understand is that with a forum - if you have people uploading pictures TO the website the forum is hosted from - it sucks up bandwidth.

This forum is new and it is growing by the day - what you don't realize is that a year from now - at this rate - this forum will be riddled with members.

If everyone started uploading and viewing pictures - how well do you think this forum would run? It just creates more work for the database to compress, resize, catalog, etc...

1 thread could take MINUTES to load or even POST TEXT when you have lots of users on a forum that are uploading/downloading from the same server. There are bandwidth in/out limits set on every server - sure there is burst - but for forums - the status quo is to hotlink images from another website.

Space and bandwidth cost MUNNEH!

I understand your want to post pics easy. But i'll remind you again - there are services like IMAGESHACK where you can upload images WITHOUT signing up for anything: http://imageshack.us/

The time it took you to create this thread, read responses and reply to it a few times you could have uploaded two dozen pictures.

Ignorance and procrastination will be the end of mankind. Remember that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.