MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New raider today, a red S. Pick it up tomorrow and I want to do the hard, fast brake in. The stealer lost the manual and are ordering one for me so I don't know what weight of oil to use when I change it tomorrow. Can someone help. What would really be great is a pic or two to show me where the drain plugs are.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
141 Posts
first oil change is due at 600 miles. I used 20W50 on mine. There are 3 drain plugs, two on the kickstand side just off the crankcase 17mm box end wrench. The other near the rear shock below the oil cooler. 17mm socket will fit there. Final drive oil also needs drained and filled at 600 miles.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You all can take 600 miles to brake in your bikes but not me.
I have broke in 3 different bikes as described here
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
and I will do this tomorrow on my new raider. After about 30 minutes of riding real hard I will pull into my garage and change the oil. It will then be 80% broke in and it will run like hell.
This is why it is so important for me to get some pics of the drain plugs.
I am begging. Nowhere can I find instructions on changing oil on this bike.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Like Raven said...there are 3 drain plugs. There's one under the oil tank by the rear shock. It's easy to find. The oil tank is under the seat and the drain plug is on the bottom of the oil tank...right side of bike.

Then there are 2 more on the left side of the bike, bottom of engine by the kickstand. You've gotta drain both of these in order to get all of the oil outa the bike. The plug located toward the front is fairly easy to get to but the other one, located about 2" behind is a real b*tch. When you try getting to this one I guarantee you'll be wondering "WTF was Yamaha thinking?" ???

Also...when you pick up the bike, ask the dealer to show you where the oil drains are.

·
Registered
141 Posts
funny oops that's exactly what I thought when I tried to get the two drain plugs off on the side of the bike. The final drive plugs were no fun either.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Raven said:
first oil change is due at 600 miles. I used 20W50 on mine. There are 3 drain plugs, two on the kickstand side just off the crankcase 17mm box end wrench. The other near the rear shock below the oil cooler. 17mm socket will fit there. Final drive oil also needs drained and filled at 600 miles.
Theres an oil cooler??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts