MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Directed to Nomadken (CNC Guru)

Would it be difficult costly to manufacture new triple trees?

I want to fit inverted forks. But the stock trees do not have enough metal to allow me to open out the bores. So I need a new set that have the same offsets and angles but with enough 'meat' to take 50mm fork-tubes (outer).

Cheers,

Scooter

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jlm205 said:
scooter---triple trees are easy---look on ebay. different stems /bearings/etc. make the transfer difficult! --john
Hey John,

I need the same dimensions and profile as the stock ones i.e. headstock to forktubes offset, built in rake, same shape and style. I have seen some availlble but they won't give the same rake/trail as the stock bike. and it works well so I don't want to mess with it. The inverted fork I have is the same length as the stock Raider fork, so the wheelbase and steering geometry etc. will be the same if I stick with Yamaha's design numbers for the trees.

Cheers,

Scooter

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jlm205 said:
pretty dumb questions from your smart brain?
I've got a sense of deja vu here...

"...There's smart and there's smart...Great at maths, keen eye for style, web technology, electrics, electronics and telecoms, no problem...machining and that stuff I don't know squat...I'd end tangled up in there with my triple trees and fender struts!

I'd rather appear a little dumb by asking, than really dumb by screwing it up...And, thanks for the compliment!..."

Cheers,

Scooter

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PA1195 said:
The stock triple trees take a 46mm fork tube.

Gary in Fairbanks
Sorry guys, should be 50mm, well spotted Gary...Corrected original post! 43 mm is the fork tube (inner) diameter, I need to clamp the fork tube (outer-50mm) in the triple trees, as it's an inverted fork I'm fitting.

Cheers,

Scooter

·
Registered
82 Posts
scooter---sorry i jumped you a few posts back. was real pis'd off at the time--other stuff. -----you are talking pretty big mod. to switch to inverted forks. plus most bikes running inverted cartridge forks have little rake--pretty upright! (vs. raider's). even w/ all the triple tree machine work, you've got front fender mount issues,rotors,etc. can be done---just gonna be a ton of money--all custom work--no catalog parts i'm aware of. ???---john

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jlm205 said:
scooter---sorry i jumped you a few posts back. was real pis'd off at the time--other stuff. -----you are talking pretty big mod. to switch to inverted forks. plus most bikes running inverted cartridge forks have little rake--pretty upright! (vs. raider's). even w/ all the triple tree machine work, you've got front fender mount issues,rotors,etc. can be done---just gonna be a ton of money--all custom work--no catalog parts i'm aware of. ???---john
No worries, John...we all have bad days!

I've actually got a complete Victory Hammer front-end: Triple Trees(can't use, wrong offset and no built-in rake), billet wheel with tyre, twin brembos and rotors (although I'd prefer to keep the stock Yamaha brake set up), fender and mounts - came off my Victory Vegas Jackpot, long story.

What one guy as suggested is opening the stock trees out from 46mm to 48mm, and skimming the outer fork tubes of the inverted forks from 50mm to 48mm. I know the fork tubes have enough meat to do that, but I'm not sure about the triple trees. Can't check until I go back home.

Cheers,

Scooter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts