MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always feel like an idiot making these 'noobie' posts not knowing what I'm saying but hopefully you can help me out. I've been looking at buying a bike for a little over a year now and I've had some issues figuring out what I want, this would be my first bike.

I'm 6'6" 290 lbs @ 23 yrs old, I'm a big guy I'm looking for a bigger bike that will fit my frame. Most of my friends tell me get a bike with tons of power to haul me around, my all knowing relatives tell me to grab something smaller to start with. With that I'm torn, I trail and mud with my quad about every weekend and I got the biggest engine I could at the time (700 Kingquad) and that even seems sluggish at times.

Something else I've been running into is Harley Davidson, my old man built bikes when he was a kid, all Harleys only Harleys, I try to tell him that all the Yamaha and Honda aren't the same as they used to be as far as cruisers go, but I'm getting no where. I personally could never compare a Yamaha or a Harley because I've never ridden a Yamaha besides an old dirt bike, and I've taken a friend's fat boy for a stroll. I really don't like any of the styles of the Harley Davidson bikes, the fact the raider comes out of the factory already "customized" having all these things done to it looking that *great* and being designed and built to run the gun and take turns looking like that just makes my jaw hit the ground. I just need to find a way to show him that a Harley - aside from the legendary name - is just as good as a Yamaha anymore.

A few of my friends ride sportsters and the rest are zooming around on crotch rockets, I need to get a bike not just for the fun, but also for the fact I drive 50 miles a day in a F250 that gets about 10 mpg if I baby it, yada yada.

Anyways, if there all any taller big riders out there, your input on the bike, also opinions on it as a starter bike, I'm not too worried about it being my first bike as I can handle dirt bikes pretty well, even if there is 4 times the power between my legs. Also if anyone has anyway to compare Harleys to other bikes as far as cruisers go it would help me change my dad's mind, before I go buy a Yamaha and he never speaks to me again. :icon_wink:

Thanks for the Help.

iamudr

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm no 'expert' but I've owned and ridden everything from a Yamaha 90 and Honda Trail 70 to a GoldWing (Aspencade, Interstante & others).

If you're comfortable on two wheels it doesn't matter if you're on a 750, 850, 1000 or other bike. I'm 5'-11", 185 pounds and love being on two wheels of any kind. It kinda sucks, though, that you feel the pressure of what anyone else thinks. I guess I have been blessed with never worrying about that - not sure why, but it works for me. That said, I should thank my wife for being so supportive of whatever I decide. She loves to ride and has been on our 1100 Shadow for about 9000 of the 17000 miles on it. She's now (out of the blue) considerig getting hre own endorsement and our 16 year old is presently enrolled in the MSF course and will have his endorsement within the week. We have 10 children and only three have riding (street) experience and endorsements.

My personal opinion is: you can't go wrong with the Raider. That's just me. If it's possible, and you're at all interested, I'd say take a good look at the 1300 and 1800 Honda VTX. I almost bought a Honda Valkirye. It's a 6-cylinder, 1800cc silky smooth proven machine, but it's no longer made. There are a lot of good bikes out there. I can't say that the Raider is the 'right' bike for everyone. If you just want to make a good show, I'd say go with the Harley. There are more parts (and chrome accessories) available for it. I would say that you should try them all and see what's right for you. I was also looking at a new GoldWing - considering that Honda is moving all their production back to Japan and the VTXs and other big bikes are currently made in the USA with American employees and American parts, American steel, etc.

If you are as new as you say but want to make the perfect choce the first time, I'd say that you should consider a liquid-cooled, shaft drive model. One thing to keep in mind is maintanence. That's why I wnet with the Shadow 1100. It's lquid-cooled, shaft drive and has hydraulic valves (never need adjustment). Maintanence is practically non-existent and it's well-wuited to riding from coast to coast without a single problem.

Well - I apologize for being so long-winded. Had a bit to drink tonight and I tend to ramble a bit. I hope you will keep us posted as to what you decided and, hopefully, we will ride with you one day.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
mudrunnr

I'm 6 ft 4 in, 220 pounds, and 36 inseam. One reason I got the Raider is because it was a good fit for tall people. So you should be pretty happy with it.

It's a pretty big step to move from a small dirtbike up to the Raider. But lucky for you - the Raider is very well designed. It's a heavy bike - but well balanced. It handles fine and turns very well. And the power comes on smooth. So if you take the time to get to know your bike after you first buy it, you shouldn't have any big problems. You need to keep the rev's down for the first 1,000 miles anyway.

distantThunder

·
Registered
211 Posts
Here is my $ .02

I owned a 1999 Yamaha Vstar 650 till last month when I had to buy a new battery and saw the Raider then bought it. Not a lick of problems never had to take the Vstar to the dealer.
My brother and a few other friends own Harleys and seem to always have them at the dealers.
My main reason for buying another Yamaha was RELIABILITY.
I like the look of Harleys but mainly the sound. But I don't like the break downs. That is why I only own Harley stocks which I'm on the verge of selling since they are going no where. I should trade them for Walmart stocks to make more $$$$$$

I prefer a ride with more value than name (H-D). The Raider is a good bike for a new rider to grow into. I'm 6' 290Lbs. and the bike rides very nice and is very compfy. The only thing is, my arms must be a little short cause I keep finding myself leaning foward to the bars.

Here is a little side story, I went to the local H-D dealership this week with a freind and you should have seen all the Harley riders and even the salesmen eye balling my Raider. I think I even saw them druel. They were all saying how cool it looked. Except for the stock pipes. My only answer to that was look at the V-Rods pipes. Raider guys take your ride to your local H-D dealer and see what happens.

You get a lot more bang for your buck with the Raider than any H-D.

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am 6'8, 260lbs 37 inseam...rode a Yamaha FJ1200 a few yeas ago, stopped riding got married, had kids....
Now the kids grew up and I was looking at motorcycles for a while, when i was wandering into a dealership and saw the Raider. Bought it after 15 minutes and absolutely love it.
The only downfall is the fact that you will probably not take a 5 hour trip on it unless you numb your tailbone....it is not a long range cruiser...but no pain no gain and my chiropractor needs to make a living, too.
I think this is the only bike i set on that was developed by a guy taller than 6'4.
go get it....

·
Registered
211 Posts
bavarian72 said:
The only downfall is the fact that you will probably not take a 5 hour trip on it unless you numb your tailbone....
Bavarian it sounds like you need more ass to cusion your tail bone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guys I really appreciate it, going to hit the dealers tomorrow and check them out and see what kinda deals I can pull together.

Definitely made up my mind with this thread, I appreciate it.

G

·
Here's my 2¢.
Before my Raider was delivered on March 1st, I rode a 1982 Yamaha XJ-1100 Maxim.
In 26 years, the bike never needed to be repaired. Not once, ever. The only thing I ever had done was routine service and maintenance every couple years.
Yamaha's are bulletproof! I raced dirt bikes when I was a kid. I had the first mono-shock bike, a YZ 250 Yamaha motocross, and have ridden Yamaha's my whole life.
Except for my first bike..... a 4 hp mini-bike with a pull rope starter on a lawnmower engine...!

The Raider is the best bike I've ever owned, from the looks and compliments I get, to the performance, the incredible handling for such a big bike. I describe it as an agile tank!
It fits me well. I'm 6'-1" about 245.

If you can get a test ride, you won't want to give it back!

Tell us what color you decided to get.....!

·
Registered
826 Posts
So here is where I chime in....... Harley has become much better in recent years but where they trail all the Japenese bikes is their value for the money, their power, and their reliability. That is my opinion of course! I have owned a Harley and there are plenty of nice ones out there to be had, but the days of walking into a dealership and not being able to purchase a new HD off the floor are over. Therefor the resale value that so many HD diehards like to talk about is gone as well. For example there is a guy here trying to sell a 06 Softail that is basically stock and has 9K mi on it for $800 less than you can walk into the dealership and buy it for new. I think he will be sitting on that for awhile!

The reliability has gotten much better over the past few years which is great cause I have a lot of HD friends. Where they still are way behind is the power department. I have a buddy who has a HD Rocker C and I was on his bike, and him on mine, we came to a straight and I opened his up WOT. I was in front of him by about 2-3 bike lengths, he passed me in second gear like I was in quicksand! The rocker's 96 is no match for the 113 of the Raider and add in the great handling and balance and you now know why I ride the Raider.

The Value speaks for itself I pd 14k out the door for my Raider....The Rocker C I rode would have been near 23k out the door. I can do a lot of work for 9K and I have a better starting point with the Raider. My buddy works at the local HD dealer selling parts and he tells me that they have at least 100% markup on all their parts and some are over 200%.

As a guy with a Kawi Meanstreak put it to me one night at a bike night...."Nice bike I see you didn't pay 8 grand extra to have a shield put on the side of your tank either!"

Oh and as far as fit Coyote on the forum I believe is 6'9" and I know he really likes his. You can see him on the home page here.
http://www.raiderperformance.com/index.htm

I say go test ride all the bikes you like an once you do that come back here and tell us what color Raider you ended up getting. The online article that was posted above is what made my mind up when I went looking for the Raider and then I rode them and that sealed the deal!!
Good luck in your search!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Didn't make it to my yamaha dealer today there were closed for some reason, but my friend wanted to hit the HD dealer before we went out tonight so I did. There was a 105th Anniv. Fat Boy sitting there and it looked sooo good, then I looked at the price tag, and the shop owner said she'd kick off about 2 grand and give me a bunch of deals on accessories but 18 grand is a lot to pay for a bike.

Going to hit the yamaha dealer monday I still have high hopes for the raider, and as sweet as that fatboy looked I don't think I want a limited edition bike as my first motorcycle.

Still lookin...

·
Registered
292 Posts
For what it's worth, we also looked at all the Harleys - including the dressers - for the past few months - ok the past 6-7-9 months.
Many of our friends ride Harleys and most of them have asked to 'swap' for various legs of our group rides. I rode theirs - they rode mine. I prefer the Raider and they say they prefer the Harley. I'm not sure why. Still trying to figure that one out. To each their own. I've owned and ridden Harleys - many times. I might be biased, but the way I see it, the Raider is a better bike - for about 2/3 to 1/2 the cash outlay. I guess the proof's in the pussing and the long-term ownership will tell. So far I'm really happy with the Raider.

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Great big guys bike.....every one tells me the Raider "fits me better" and the 113" helps alot too. You do have me by a few inches and 30 some pounds, so ya may end up with some forward controls eventually.....but factory stirrups suit me just fine. DO IT!!
P.S. But of course I am biased. ;D

·
Registered
292 Posts
LunchBox said:
PiNkPaNtHeR said:
I guess the proof's in the pussing and the long-term ownership will tell. So far I'm really happy with the Raider.
Is this some new saying or is it just the way you guys say it up there. lol

BTW mud, make sure you dont buy the YES warrenty from the dealer unless he can match or beat the price from
http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=8468&str=255&ID=289281233
Sorry LB - too much to drink that night and I tend to make a lot of typos when I do that.

The proof is in the pudding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went to a yamaha dealer today and I finally got to sit on the bike, and it sat really well but I think my legs are a little long for it. My arms fit perfect though but I could really see where some people say it's a stretch, on other bikes my arms feel cramped. I had the dealer work out a price and he took 600$ off, and I was being a pretty big ass about it. I was often referring to a harley dealer dropping 2 thousand off a fatboy, and to that he pretty much said well.. 'I got a Raven in last week that we just got setup, and other then the red one in the showroom and the black one that was all they were getting for raiders this year because they are selling extremely well.'

Now I could see the bikes are selling extremely well but what kind of bull is that, not getting anymore in, sounds like a load to me unless yamaha doesn't like money which would defeat the purpose.

Either way he told me he'd get me the red one for $13,880 out the door, and I really didnt even look at the raven because I like the extra chrome. Plus he didn't have a blue one and I really wanna see a blue one, it's the first one that caught my eye, and no offense to you raven and red riders out there, the smooth looking blue just looks fantastic with the chrome.

So I got about 3-4 other yamaha dealers in my area, going to try Dubuque and Rock Falls, IL and see what kinda prices they have and if I have a little road trip ahead of me including sitting on a tommy blue bike.

It was a good day though I finally got to sit on it and it felt a lot more like a motorcycle then the 105th anniv Fatboy I sat on. I told the lady at the HD I wanted pegs instead of floorboards and she just looked at me weird saying people who buy 883's want floorboards for the comfort.. well gdit if I wanna feel like I'm sitting on a motorcycle rather then on a bench then thats what I wanna do. But the Raider was everything I thought it was and more, I just don't like the red a whole lot. Maybe with another 1-2 inches shorter legs the controls would click better.

But I really wanna see a blue one. ;D

·
Registered
826 Posts
Well the dealer may very well not be getting anymore that may not be a line at all. When I was looking for mine I only found 4 in the state and some of the dealers would not move off sticker. I have actually heard of a couple dealers in Co getting 1000 over sticker...but i don't know if that is true or not. That's what I was told though. I have seen better deals than 13,800 but if he thinks he can get it then who can blame him. Was the HD new or used? I have never seen an HD dealer come off sticker around here for a new bike. There are about 6 of them in driving distance to me and when I was looking at VRods and Rocker everything was sticker price would not even negotiate with me.

As for the forward controls that should be pretty easy you can get a kit from pacific coast star that will extended them 3" for about $100

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
New HD, 105th Anniv. Fat Boy, the copper black one, I think it has been sitting in the showroom for a while though cause the second I showed some interest in it they tried closing the deal then and there. Though I know thats usual for most stealerships but I felt something different.

·
Registered
221 Posts
There were a couple CO dealers trying to get above MSRP......................they were even trying to get a deposit before letting anyone sit on them.

Pretty funny.

Anyway, things didn't turn out the way they planned as they had to hold em longer than anticipated so they decided to get real.

Take a look at Trader Online...................they have a motorcycle section and they are some dealers in upper midwest selling at discounted prices. Including a dealer in Maumi, Ohio that advertises at 1,000 - 1,200 off MSRP.

Good luck and happy riding !

·
Registered
11 Posts
In Memphis the dealer where I bought mine just got a red s from another dealer that had it sitting for a while. The new dealer sold it in two weeks. If you find a dealer who is not promotion minded chances are he may have a raider on the floor.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts