MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my first question is what is done at the first service? I looked in the owners manual and it looks like the belt is checked/adjusted and the oil and filter are changed and the transfercase oil is changed....and a few things are checked. does it void the warranty if I do these things myself? what else is done? the dealer said they check and adjust the valves.... but that is not in the owners manual.

next question: the manual says to use 20W 40 oil? never even seen such a thing and the dealer said yamaha stopped making it and to use 20W 50... comments? I was planning on using amsoil but a buddy told me yamaha recommends against this.... what oils are yall using?

I think im going to go with the cobra swept pipes... anyone have these how do they sound? how does the chrome on them look? I have been disappointed with the chrome in the past on cobra's

I also want to get a PC3 but i saw they dont have a map availible for those pipe...I called them and they said they didnt know when they would....WTH?

any word on when a hyperchager or other intake will be availible?

I will check my coil wires when i get home... mine is 3464 i think and runs strong and smooth but its worth a check.

on a side note i ordered my quick detachable backrest and the stuff to go with it from stadiumyamaha.com and it was about 130 bucks cheaper than any of the local stealerships wanted...

got 44 miles on the clock and got her monday....super excited.... :icon_razz:

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
'Sup Savage?

Welcome to the family - you're gonna love it here.

I'll address a couple of your questions, and then let all the other guys spout off as well.

Basically what it says in the manual is what they do on the first service. Plenty of guys here have done it themselves with no problems, and the warranty remains intact. They do not have to check the valves. Fluids, belt, throttle cable, steering head bearing, etc... is about it.

The Cobra Swepts are VERY popular around here. While there has been problems in the past with Cobra's chrome, in recent years their quality has been top notch, I don't think you'll have a problem in that department. Several of the guys have complained that at more extreme lean angles, the front head pipe scrapes before the foot peg. Cobra is aware of this problem, and has informed us that it is being addressed.

If you get the pipes w/out any other mods - intake, etc - you really don't need a PCIII or other FI module. Once you start playing with the intake, you'll probably have to use something.

I don't see a hypercharger/forcewinder type in the near future based on the fact that the airbox is under the gas tank, with the throttle bodies in a downdraft, vertical orientation, and the ducting to the outside of the bike would be difficult. There are a couple of high-flow intakes available which eliminate the airbox and install K&N pod-type filters on the throttle body venturi. Everything stays under the tank - Thunder mfg, and Patrick Racing are the major players.

more info here

http://raiderperformance.com/aftermarket.htm

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow! nice aftermarket parts page... i have been looking for 3 days and havn't found half that stuff....awesome and thanks for pointing it out

·
Registered
826 Posts
NJ as usual you are on the ball and I can not disagree with a word you say in your post.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anyone want to comment on the other stuff? looks like you guys are going with 20W50 yamalube?

anyone get the PC3 yet?

·
Registered
55 Posts
i used the yamaha 20/50, do the 600 mile service yourself it really is not that hard . use the money you save for goddies for your new bike. enjoy. burt

·
Registered
221 Posts
the dealer I bought my Raider S from wanted 325 for first service

other dealer did it for 175

plus 70 bucks to replace clutch lever that somehow got bent when I dropped the darn thing in a parking lot

how embarrasing

·
Registered
154 Posts
Dealer charged $60.00 for first service, I think they like me.

Going to synthetic on next change out.

Welcome Savage, enjoy!

Ken

·
Registered
7 Posts
i dont use synthetics with any bike the clutch runs in it--had a softail -used screamig eagle synthetic but it had sep. tranny---right now i have an 06 max & a new red s raider--i use 20-50 castrol 4 stroke MOTORCYCLE OIL in both-about 2.75 a quart at walmart--also valvoline makes 20-50 motorcycle oil-pep boys---under 5.00 quart--had many bikes & never had an oil related problem with either!!---if i was running a busa at the track i might rethink this but its clutch was designed for syn.---like they say-my 2 cents--ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts