MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
he is real shy---but pa-1195(gary) has a wealth of knowledge to share w/ us !! --especially efi ! ---it seems ole phil on the delphi forum didn't want any smart guys on his forum and ran him off!! ---i hope each and every one of you will pm him to tell him how welcome he is here!! (last post--blacked out belt guard--by busajack) this forum is only as good as the smart folks like gary we can learn from. make him feel welcomed!! --thanks-john

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Let me be the first to join jlm205 in welcoming pa-1195 to our family! (BTW - neither of you guys have send me your info for the directory :DirtDOG:)

We can never have enough smart guys around, especially when it comes to squeezing the most performance out of our already magnificent Raiders! We've already got the greatest collection of enthusiasts around.

Intelligence and great ideas are always welcomed here, nurtured, exchanged and appreciated (please, I need all the help I can get :eek:)

·
Registered
826 Posts
NJ, I second that!!! I also need all the help I can get. it's either I get it here for free, or I try to do it myself (cause I am stubborn like that) and screw it up, and then I need to pay for help and probably even some therapy!! LOL Welcome aboard pa1195.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Howdy folks...naw, I'm no Wizard, just have lots of all-around experiences with powered equipment I've owned and operated for others up here in Alaska...out of necessity and due to lack of service techs out in the Bush rural areas, I and others have had to figure out how to keep planes, boats, and lots of mechanical stuff running or suffer the consequences...there's often no gas station down the street to walk to and ask for help, and no phones to call your Mommy for a ride home...folks living or traveling in rural areas of the Lower 48 States also know just what I'm talking about.

Many have lots of motorcycle Dyno experience, I have none directly and I only know what I've read of others or done to my bikes since 1960...I like to read other Forums and learn from experiences and opinions is all.

As a group of bikers sometimes we agree, sometimes we disagree, but we should always agree to disagree as that's how we grow and prosper...I believe to eliminate contentious but important discussion shows fear of the unknown, and to some, apparently uncomfortably forces them to question their values, self image and imagined ego...kinda like undertaking a new experience for the first time as I recall.

Thanks for the welcome and hope to be of some help and learn from all as time goes by.

Gary in Fairbanks

·
Registered
373 Posts
PA1195 said:
As a group of bikers sometimes we agree, sometimes we disagree, but we should always agree to disagree as that's how we grow and prosper...I believe to eliminate contentious but important discussion shows fear of the unknown, and to some, apparently uncomfortably forces them to question their values, self image and imagined ego...kinda like undertaking a new experience for the first time as I recall.
That says it all. We all may have different ideas about what works, and what doesn't. As long as we respect each others views we may all learn from each other. Welcome pa, any knowledge you have will be greatly accepted and appreciated by all.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gary--please promise me there will be no more "philosophy lectures!" just bike info.!! heck--about 1/2 into it--i was thinking robes/tibet/monk/etc.!!! --ha!! --stick to raider bike info. here. lean/rich info. when going to new pipes would be a good start--get off the tibet thing!! --thanks--john

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi John...geeze was just having some fun...never been to Tibet and not a philosophy major...but, happiness starts within you, and if you're angry then that's the first place to look for a fix.

I've spent lots of time working and camping alone with my dogs, and if you can't get along with yourself you'll never get along with others...dogs like anybody that feeds them.

Geeze, there I've done it again...maybe I need a PCIII and dyno tune HI!

Gary in Fairbanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dogs bond with the guy who feeds them. and remain bonded as long as owner feeds him. down here in tha south--if a dog turns on you--after all the grub he ate. we try to contol his butt!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
John, that dog thing from the South sounds like the guy we've been talking about...he's the feeder and when the dog turns, man bites dog!

More beers for me and my friends sounds like a better idea to me.

Gary in Fairbanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
Gary
Welcome I have been riding for about 40 yrs. This is my first EFI bike
I been doing like you said read a lot of the post to see what other guys
have to say.

Liv2Ryd
Chuck

·
Registered
67 Posts
Morning Chuck and good to meet you...this Wizard thing is not!...but reading and learning does help, especially if we can share the bike experience via these Forums.

Back in early 2006 I bought a Yam FJR1300 and got the service manual to learn the bike...sold it, changed bikes, and then after some more horse trading got another FJR and a second manual as I'd sold the first with the bike.

The first manual had in depth explanations of the ignition and fuel injection systems like how and why they worked as they did...in the second the interesting detailed stuff was mostly gone.

Why?...I believe Yamaha knows we as owners are reading and using what was once an info publication written mainly for their techs, and with enough info folks can modify the bike or bypass the Dealer network quite a bit...not good for business or liability.

Even the Raider Owner's manual lacks an explanation on how to change the transfer case oil...why? it's after all a straight forward job...thanks to folks here or a Service manual owners who linger here can now learn how.

Sign of the times as product liability and warranty issues may be Yamaha's concern, just speculation.

Gary in Fairbanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
Welcome Gary. I hope to see a lot of you here. Since I don't know crap... I am always ready and more then willing to learn from the experts. I am getting exited already.

VB

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello VB...I bet you know more than you think you do, as very few motorcycle owners come into the cult eyes wide shut...all it takes is to ask a question on a friendly Forum like this, and have someone come back and turn the lights on for a few seconds...then the "ah ha!" response kicks in and you're on the way to a fix or mod with very little additional help.

I've had it happen to me in various hobbies by lots of folks with mucho experience, and always came away wondering why didn't I think of that?

If our education system had taught us how to go about solving problems, rather than just repeat answers, we all would be in better shape.

Gary in Fairbanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.